Thread: NIC Throughput

NIC Throughput

Hi Philip!

Under your NIC optimization recommendation, I have noticed that it is geared towards minimizing latency. How about “throughput”. What would be a good values for its parameters?

Thanks a lot

Blog Entries
    Hello

It really depends on what part of your system is loaded less, the NIC or the CPU. In most scenarios, it is better if the NIC does less packet/header manipulation and fewer calculations, i.e. the low-latency recommendations already do that.

I would disable any "Offloads", leave only checksum calculations to the NIC. You can increase receive/transmit buffers to 512 if your NIC has the defaults at 256 and your system has enough RAM.

Other than that, I wouldn't enable Gigabit jumbo frames for pure Internet throughput, because anything over 1500 bytes would have to be fragmented before being transmitted, likely by your modem/router.

Would you suggest:

Interrupt Moderation = Adaptive (I can't see any effect)

Flow Control = Enable (I'm able to maximize my speed with this "on" specially with VPN)
    Last edited by MagikMark; 03-13-18 at 11:41 PM.

Blog Entries
    Interrupt moderation (coalescing) - It allows the NIC to delay interrupting the CPU for new traffic. It adds some latency because of that, the benefit being a bit lower CPU utilization. If you are not CPU-bound it is better either disabled for low latency, or at a very conservative setting for pure throughput.

Flow Control - the idea is to slow down the sending device when the recipient can't handle the speed of transfer. There are a number of issues with it, however:
    - it doesn't work well in mixed Gigabit/Megabit LAN environments, or if one port on a switch gets congested all links get slowed down
    - you must disable it if you plan on using QoS
    - some NICs drivers perform poorly with it
    - TCP/IP already implements a form of flow control
    It is generally better disabled for those reasons, but you'd have to test to see what works better in your environment.

How about

Adaptive-InterFrame Spacing? On?

Blog Entries
    Adaptive InterFrame Spacing will only show noticeable difference where there are many packet collisions, typically in some Gigabit LANs. I don't think it will have any perceivable effect either way on your Internet connectivity, but I disable it on my personal machine to simplify and reduce unnecessary services.

Philip,

1. When you're connected to a VPN, then you become part of its LAN (VPN Provider LAN). Am I right?

Flow Control & Adaptive Interframe have immediate detrimental effect on speed when it's turned off. As low as 50%
    if Flow Control is off and Speed fluctuations when Adaptive Interframe is off

2. I have noticed in BIOS setting of my Intel NIC has a maximum link speed of 100Mbps. On the other hand under
    Windows 10 it offers up to 1Gbps link speed. Which shall we follow?