Thread: Initial delay accessing websites, once there, little problems

Initial delay accessing websites, once there, little problems

Hard to describe this other than I have noticed a somewhat long delay (5-10 seconds) from the time I click a bookmark and the site starts to load.
    I run a data activity application (Bit Meter) and I see what is and what isn't coming down the pike. When I click on a bookmark (or manually enter a address in) there is a noticeable period where there is no response.

This is NOT a "speed" issue. Once I'm in the site, navigation seems fine changing pages etc. There does not seem to be any pattern, some probably are slower than others, but overall there is a very noticeable delay.

The only change is a newer Router (TP-Link Archer C7 v4) but I don't see how that has anything to do with it.

Specs;
    Win 7 Pro
    Opera Classic (v12.18)
    No A/V program actively running
    I'm using my ISP's DNS servers
    Spectrum/TWC 100Mbps service
    Router Firewall enabled
    Wired connection
    No fancy settings in the Router. The only changes made from default are static IP addresses for my devices set in the device itself, not in the Router.

I have run TraceRoutes to various addresses and there is no change as to the latency in the initial hops, including my Router.

Ideas? Questions?
    Last edited by videobruce; 02-23-18 at 03:05 PM.

Blog Entries
    Some routers also have a "web protection" feature that checks websites before it lets you access them, I'd look through the routers' admin interface to see if there is some type of such service running. Does it happen with different browsers? It could be some malware, or even your ISP's DNS servers acting up?

I run dd-wrt firmware and there is a 'adblock' option, it's disabled by default which is the way I left it.

Blog Entries
    My next suspect would be DNS servers issues, you may want to try using alternate DNS servers to see if it makes a difference, here is a reference list:
    https://www.speedguide.net/faq/what-...-can-i-use-128

I would try those DNS servers directly, without using your router acting as a proxy temporarily, at least to test (i.e. no 192.168.x.x as DNS server).

I'd also run Malwarebytes Antimalware, and AdwCleaner (cleans malicious browser extensions) just to be prudent.

I have run both of those programs. A few odds & ends IIRC, but nothing worth while.

I would try those DNS servers directly, without using your router acting as a proxy temporarily, at least to test (i.e. no 192.168.x.x as DNS server).
    I run static IP addresses on all my equipment set within the device, NOT thru the Router. Some don't seem to like that, but I've done nit that way for probably 15 years or so.
    Anyway, are you referring to changing the entry in Networking Properties from the IP of the Router to the IP of the DNS server?

I have added two DNS IP's within the Router bumping the two that Spectrum/TWC supplies.

Blog Entries
    Yes exactly, I'd try to set the external DNS IPs in the Network Adapter Properties (under IPv4 TCP/IP, right under your IP address/Gateway) on your client machine to test it out, bypassing the router's DNS proxy. I'd also try with a couple of different DNS providers, Google seems to have low latency DNS for most geographical locations.

Then I would have to delete the DNS entries in the Router?

Blog Entries
    No, you don't. The router only acts as a proxy, redirecting internal DNS queries to the external DNS server. It also uses those DNS server settings for its own use, i.e. for any internal requests, for DHCP clients that use it as DNS relay, etc.

If you set your DNS on one network client to an external DNS server, it does not affect any other local clients, or their DNS settings. You don't have to change the router DNS settings to edit one client for testing purposes. It is also a good idea to set DNS on the router for any clients using its IP as the DNS proxy.

When you set the DNS to an external IP on one client, you are simply bypassing the router having to request the name, eventually cache the result, and then relay the result to your client. This bypasses the router as a possible culprit for the DNS resolution delay, if that is what you're experiencing.

I hope this makes sense.

The edited DNS address in the O/S supersedes whatever is in the Router?

Networking is confusing, between the abbreviations, acronyms and the tons of terms, many of which seem to overlap or conflict.

Blog Entries
    DNS settings of clients override DNS settings of the NAT router in most scenarios. To confuse things further, this is usually not a good idea if your client is part of a domain. This behavior can usually be overridden at the router by blocking port 53 passthrough, but all this is outside the scope of what we're trying to resolve.

I was just suggesting to try and bypass the router DNS settings, to rule the router (it's hardware, cache, current load, or its' DNS setting) as a possible source of the slowdown.

I'm taking a closer look at the loading times to see if I can narrow down any specific site(s) or circumstances which may be easier said then done.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    A few things I'd check and compare...
    *My first hunch is DNS...I agree with Philip...your ISP may have poor performing DNS servers. Try a few different DNS servers, set the primary DNS in your computers TCP/IP v4 properties...change from "obtain auto" to the DNS servers you want to test.
    *8.8.8.8 which is Google DNS
    *9.9.9.9 which is quad9 ...a "safe DNS service"
    *208.67.222.222 which is one of the original safe DNS services, OpenDNS.

Each time you change a DNS server..I'd run an IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS. and then reboot the computer...and then proceed to test by going to a bunch of websites.
    You don't need to assign a static IP/subnet/gateway when assigning static DNS servers. And note..if this computer is part of a Windows domain ...ensure you note what the DNS server might have originally been if for some reason there was one manually entered in there.

Try a different browser also...or two different browsers. What are the specs of the computer? What CPU? How much RAM?
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I have changed DNS servers, it appears to have solved or at least reduce the delays.
    A number of other non PC issues have come up so I haven't had time to dive in any deeper.