Thread: FDA plans investigation after euthanasia drug found in dog food

FDA plans investigation after euthanasia drug found in dog food

The FDA says it plans to investigate after a drug commonly used to euthanize pets was found in cans of dog food.

CNN affiliate WJLA in Washington partnered with Ellipse Analytics to test several brands of wet dog food for the drug pentobarbital. In all, 62 samples of more than two-dozen brands were tested.

One brand, Gravy Train, repeatedly came back positive for pentobarbital, according to the station. Out of the 15 cans tested, nine tested positive.

While the cans contained low levels of the drug, federal rules say that none is allowed.

Gravy Train is made by Big Heart Pet Foods and owned by Smucker’s.

Big Heart Brands also makes Meow Mix, Milk Bone, Kibbles’n Bits, 9 Lives, Natural Balance, Pup-Peroni, Gravy Train, Nature’s Recipe, Canine Carry Outs, Milo’s Kitchen, Alley Cat, Jerky Treats, Meaty Bone, Pounce and Snausages.

Just last year, Evanger’s Dog and Cat Food recalled some lots of its Hunk of Beef product due to the presence of Pentobarbital. The FDA says Pentobarbital can affect animals that ingest it, and possibly cause side effects such as drowsiness, dizziness, excitement, loss of balance, or nausea, or in extreme cases, death.
    http://wfla.com/2018/02/10/fda-plans...d-in-dog-food/

Humby, what say you? IMHO, this is inexcusable if true...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    http://wfla.com/2018/02/10/fda-plans...d-in-dog-food/

Humby, what say you? IMHO, this is inexcusable if true...
    Wow,
    I switched to Nulo a couple years ago. nothing but good reviews and a healthy pup.

Hey Ken

Even the biggest companies have recalls. Disturbing any of them have them to this degree, but they do.

They mention Evanger's Hunk of Beef. That recall was a huge pain in the ass, and they have one of the highest integrity standings out there (give or take).

Pentobarbital is an euthanasia drug that shouldn't be making its way into the source chain obviously, but when there's money to be made some take the cash and hope for the best.

Nulo is a good food Pete. They problem is most of these companies don't own their own processing plants, just time shares. Especially when you get into wet foods, one company will make a run of food, then another company, all in the same processing/canning facility.

I've seen recalls from some of the biggest lines out there.

With Evanger's, and I assume with this recall, it's more where they're sourcing from, and how much quality control those sources have.

Thanks for the info, Humby. I see what you are saying, however it would seem that they would have a little bit better control as this is food.

I have read quite a bit about older people with very limited funds, eating canned cat food, although I don't recall any eating can dog food, but you never know...

IMHO, just one time of contaminated food would cause many consumers to stay away from that brand. Years ago, I liked Peter Pan peanut butter (Con-Agra?), however I will never buy it again after their recall. If store bought, choosy mothers choose Jiff!! (Do you remember those commercials YEARS ago? )

As a side note, I heard that SCat eats goldfish pellets and sometimes the flakes. Does he still buy them in bulk from you? (Inquiring minds and such! )

IMHO, just one time of contaminated food would cause many consumers to stay away from that brand. Years ago, I liked Peter Pan peanut butter (Con-Agra?), however I will never buy it again after their recall. If store bought, choosy mothers choose Jiff!! (Do you remember those commercials YEARS ago? )
    That happens all the time.

The problem is it's not always the fault of the brand itself. They do the best they can to cover their asses and spend millions on redundant testing.

IMO it's more often the places they source from, and the facilities (shared by many manufacturers) that the foods are made in.

Same with peanut butter.

I guess there's 2 ways of looking at this. First, it's great that it was caught (someone was doing their job) and fixed. Second, how many other things are slipping by in other products?

Quote Originally Posted by Easto View Post
    I guess there's 2 ways of looking at this. First, it's great that it was caught (someone was doing their job) and fixed. Second, how many other things are slipping by in other products?
    Couple of months ago I sent back about $1200 of wool dog and cat toys.

Recall due to metal shards.

To their credit it was caught, and the manufacturer did a great job of letting retailers know so they could pull the product off the shelves.

We deal with about 3-6 recalls per year, normally food.

The companies vary in terms of how quickly they respond and how well they deal with it for their customers and retailers.

For any dog owners I'd highly recommend www.dogfoodadvisor.com .

They not only have the best online dog food analysis I've seen (very thorough and non-biased IMO), but you can get email alerts for pretty much any dog food or dog treat recall https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-recall-alerts .

I don't recall any eating can dog food, but you never know...
    burp....
    People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Something similar happens with supplements. There have been proven instances were athletes have taken a supplement and gotten trace amounts of steroids or additional vitamins not meant to be in the mix.

Its all cheap lazy work to maximize profit.