Thread: Windows 10 Start Menu & other issues

Advanced Member

Windows 10 Start Menu & other issues

I was helping someone today and I did a cleanup on Windows 10. After this, when it booted back to normal mode it had the following weird symptoms. If I click on the Start Menu icon or press the Windows Key on the keyboard, nothing happens. If I try to type in the search box, it does not type. I cannot right-click any icons in the taskbar (left hand side) to "Unpin from Taskbar" or do anything else on that menu. If I right-click on the Start Menu icon, I DO get the normal menu there. I tried a System Restore but that was unsuccessful. I Googled repairing the Start Menu, it said to launch "sfc /scannow" in Powershell. Since I could not access Powershell by typing the command into the Search Box, I did this from Task Manager. It opened, but would not let me run the sfc unless I had an elevated Powershell (which normally I type it in the Search Box and when the result comes up I right-click and say "run as administator"). I cannot do that from inside Task Manager and was unable to run Powershell as Administrator.

Any help of fixing these issues would be appreciated.

Blog Entries
    Seems like some system files/drivers were corrupted by malware.. Why can't you start elevated powershell/command prompt and run the repair commands from there? You may have to reinstall the OS in place, ultimately if nothing else helps.

Advanced Member
    I don't know how to start Powershell in elevated "run as administrator" any other way than typing POWERSHELL in the SEARCH BOX, then right-clicking the result and selecting RUN AS ADMINISTATOR. Since the computer is not taking any typing in the Search Box, I seem stuck. I can press Windows + R but if I type POWERSHELL there, I see no way to RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR. Is there a switch I can use in the Windows/R box, like powershell /A (just guessing about a letter for that. Or any other way to get Powershell to Run As Administrator.

Task Manager > New Task > powershell and check run as admin, click ok.

Advanced Member
    I did not see a box to check there, for Run As Admin, but I will look again. Thanks!

Advanced Member
    I took another look and did see the check box beneath where you type the command. Not sure how I missed it first go round. I did check and that is NOT there in Windows 7.

Will give this a try next time I see that person.