Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: TCP Optimizer needs new version since v1709 Windows Update [updated]

Use system restore to go back before the change. For tasks I will check and post. For cortana...really? I mean you dont need to do any tweaks if you are leaving cortana alive...

I don't need Cortana, I thought it was necessary for the search function to work. If it can be disabled on 1803 completely without breaking any other main functions I'd be more than happy to send Cortana into the depths of hell.

EDIT:

Sadly I didn't create a restore point. But it's no issue, I've just formatted recently, I haven't installed all my programs & games yet. Could format again and try an updated or new script.

I'm assuming whatever broke the search function (not being able to type in search at all), is also responsible for not being able to type in Edge, or type in the settings menu to search. That and breaking the Task Scheduler that's responsible for start up items is a big issue. MSI Afterburner & Process Lasso both won't even start any more, reinstalling them doesn't fix the issue either.

I saw some other changes also discussed in the following pages that aren't changed in the script yet. So an updated version of that script would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Last edited by Blackfyre; 06-16-18 at 02:25 PM.

I myself use task menager too. So I hope I just REMed the registry entry that disables it. I will post it soon. Not at home atm. Although you should consider as myself to use startup function from win10 and not task manager. There are many hidden win10 spy proces that start with task manager. All real gamers disable it. I use it. For proc lasso and other things. As for cortana and search functions they are conected although I have seen some tweaks on the net that disable cortana and keep the search function. In my case I disabled cortana and edge long before this tweaks so I cant help you there. Good things they are still there and you can enable them. Search the net on how to do that.

It's not the task manager, that still works fine. It's the task scheduler (for start up items, or for items you can schedule manually to run every 5 minutes for example).

When that's disabled, some important start up tasks are gone. Performance of games isn't usually an issue for me, I'm running a 4790K @ 4.7Ghz and an overclocked GTX 1070. The most important tweaks I need are the network tweaks that decrease latency & ping, reduce jitter, and improve response times. I live in Australia, so any help I can get from improving the network would be great.

The PC is connected using a half a 30cm CAT6A LAN Cable to my router. My internet is 116Mbps download, and 5Mbps upload. There's no advantage at getting a Cat7 cable yes? Very small distance, 30cm to the router cable.

I'll wait for an updated script and just format and try it. Thank you for your help.

Blog Entries
    Start with the "optimal" settings in the TCP Optimizer, read the Gaming article on the main site about tweaking your Network adapter settings (mainly disable any "offloads"), done.

Hello Philip, thank you for the reply, I appreciate it. I was under the impression from this thread that TCP Optimizer is no longer fully functional due to changes made in Windows 10 since 1709 update, and now 1803 update might have introduced more. I've always done the Network Adapter Settings part, I had used this network card back in the days, and I still have it, but unplugged:

https://www.ple.com.au/Products/6065...t-Network-Card

And it helped as well with latency, but since post-Windows 7 days, there have been no drivers for it and Intel has said in their forums they no longer support it. And the Microsoft driver for it isn't the same, so I just use my onboard Intel network now on the ASUS Maximus VII Ranger, which is still receiving updates by using Snappy Driver Installer, last update came out last month.

Blog Entries
    The TCP Optimizer was updated after the 1803 release, less than a month ago. There were a couple of changes needed, but the latest version is fully functional.

Intel makes very good NICs and their drivers are stable as well, even the onboard NICs work well. I'd still disable most offloads/coalescing to reduce additional processing of packets by the network adapter.

Thanks Philip. I followed the Gaming Tweaks page after applying the optimal settings using TCP Optimizer. Also used O&O ShutUp10 to disable Cortana, One Drive, and most of the useless features (that program worked well and didn't break any major components of the OS), then I ran the script below using PowerShell to delete all non-essential Windows Apps and disable the XBox shenanigans that come with the OS:

https://github.com/SCConfigMgr/Confi...uiltinApps.ps1

@Blackfyre, You can fix the scheduler with this command:
    REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TimeBrokerSvc" /v Start /t REG_DWORD /d 00000003 /f
    try 00000002 if you want.

BTW I've posted several batch files. Look for them. Also make this on .reg file. I grabbed this from my previous post but I changed few settings. You will have a nice boost in booting Windows as well, especially if you have SSD. v1803 change some settings but still. Also check Power Options on CPU settings.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile]
    "NetworkThrottlingIndex"=dword:ffffffff
    "SystemResponsiveness"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile\Tasks\Games]
    "Affinity"=dword:00000000
    "Background Only"="False"
    "Clock Rate"=dword:00002710
    "GPU Priority"=dword:00000008
    "Priority"=dword:00000006
    "Scheduling Category"="High"
    "SFIO Priority"="High"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile\Tasks\DisplayPostProcessing]
    "Affinity"=dword:00000000
    "Background Only"="True"
    "BackgroundPriority"=dword:00000008
    "Clock Rate"=dword:00002710
    "GPU Priority"=dword:00000008
    "Priority"=dword:00000008
    "Scheduling Category"="High"
    "SFIO Priority"="High"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PriorityControl]
    "IRQ8Priority"=dword:00000001
    "Win32PrioritySeparation"=dword:00000026

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Executive]
    "AdditionalCriticalWorkerThreads"=dword:00000008
    "AdditionalDelayedWorkerThreads"=dword:00000006

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]
    "SecondLevelDataCache"=dword:00000000
    "IoPageLockLimit"=dword:08000000
    "DisablePagingExecutive"=dword:00000001
    "LargeSystemCache"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters]
    "EnablePrefetcher"=dword:00000000
    "EnableSuperFetch"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem]
    "DisableDeleteNotification"=dword:00000000
    "LongPathsEnabled"=dword:00000000
    "NtfsAllowExtendedCharacter8dot3Rename"=dword:00000000
    "NtfsBugcheckOnCorrupt"=dword:00000000
    "NtfsDisableCompression"=dword:00000000
    "NtfsDisableEncryption"=dword:00000001
    "NtfsEncryptPagingFile"=dword:00000000
    "NtfsMemoryUsage"=dword:00000000
    "NtfsMftZoneReservation"=dword:00000004
    "RefsDisableLastAccessUpdate"=dword:00000001
    "UdfsSoftwareDefectManagement"=dword:00000000
    "Win31FileSystem"=dword:00000000
    "FileNameCache"=dword:00000400
    "PathCache"=dword:00000200
    "NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation"=dword:00000001
    "NTFSDisableLastAccessUpdate"=dword:00000001
    "ContigFileAllocSize"=dword:00000600

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSMQ\Parameters]
    "TCPNoDelay"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
    "EnableFirstLogonAnimation"=dword:00000000
    "SynchronousUserGroupPolicy"=dword:00000000
    "VerboseStatus"=dword:00000001
    "SynchronousMachineGroupPolicy"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
    "HungAppTimeout"="1000"
    "MenuShowDelay"="0"
    "ActiveWndTrkTimeout"=dword:00000000
    "AutoEndTasks"="1"
    "FontSmoothing"="2"
    "PaintDesktopVersion"=dword:00000000
    "WaitToKillAppTimeout"="1000"
    "LowLevelHooksTimeout"="1000"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    "NoLowDiskSpaceChecks"=dword:00000001
    "LinkResolveIgnoreLinkInfo"=dword:00000001
    "NoResolveTrack"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System]
    "DisableLogonBackgroundImage"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Psched]
    "TimerResolution"=dword:00000001
    "NonBestEffortLimit"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control]
    "SystemStartOptions"=" NOEXECUTE=OPTIN NOGUIBOOT BOOTLOGO"
    "DirtyShutdownCount"=dword:00000078
    "WaitToKillServiceTimeout"="2000"
    "WaitToKillAppTimeout"="2000"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Serialize]
    "StartupDelayInMSec"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00\0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318583]
    "Attributes"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\0012ee47-9041-4b5d-9b77-535fba8b1442\0b2d69d7-a2a1-449c-9680-f91c70521c60]
    "Attributes"=dword:00000002

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\0012ee47-9041-4b5d-9b77-535fba8b1442\dab60367-53fe-4fbc-825e-521d069d2456]
    "Attributes"=dword:00000002

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]
    "Max Cached Icons"="2000"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
    "ExtendedUIHoverTime"=dword:00000000
    "TaskbarAnimations"=dword:00000000
    "ListviewAlphaSelect"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Tcpip\Parameters]
    "MaxConnectionsPerServer"=dword:00000000
    "Tcp1323Opts"=dword:00000000
    "SackOpts"=dword:00000000
    "TcpMaxDupAcks"=dword:00000002

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters]
    "MaxCollectionCount"=dword:00000020
    "MaxThreads"=dword:0000001e
    "MaxCmds"=dword:0000001e

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PCHealth\ErrorReporting]
    "ShowUI"=dword:00000001
    "DoReport"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AeDebug]
    "Auto"="0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Session Manager]
    "AutoChkTimeOut"=dword:00000005

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
    "AutoRestartShell"=dword:00000001
    Last edited by n1kobg; 06-17-18 at 08:46 AM.

Thanks n1kobg, I made a .reg file with your recommended tweaks, ran it and restarted the computer. My Power Management is set to Bitsum Highest Performance, I use Process Lasso, and I have that set to High Performance Mode as well. As for fixing the scheduler, there was no need any more, I already formatted my computer. Scheduler working fine now, search functions working as it should, and Cortana & most of the rubbish apps that come pre-installed have been removed.

Carrier grade nat

Here I want to adress some new discoveries (at least new for me)..

1. DNS server and how to set it up with DNS bench

This is a little program that lets you check the best (fastest) DNS server for you..... Usually your DNS server is locked in your router by your ISP . But you can still try...When you run the app it will probably report that DNS server locked by your ISP as the best for you. You can check the IP adres for this DNS server inside your router. .... But if you change a setting in DNS BENCH app and look at the best DNS server based on UNCACHED speeds - well than you will probably see another server...
    Now the good part ... you still can set any other DNS server adress in your windows LAN setting (the same place where you set your static IP)...and it seems to work !!!! After setting this DNS server as shown to be the fastest by DNS BENCH app (remember to choose the fastest uncached option, and also it has some logic that that sever is in europe)...my DSL REPORT latency dropped down. It is not much or like heaven, but I CAN feel the difference.
    My hitreg improoved, and now I my gameplay delay is less. (suddenyl I have double the kills in 2 MMs...)

2. STATIC IP ADRESS AND PORT FORWARDING
    As I was messing with DNS servers, I suddenly found out that my own port forwarding doesnt work as it should...
    What you have to check first is your ISP making a fool out of you by using a thing called "Carrier grade NAT" . This basically means that your ISP provider is putting a bunch of users under 1 common exetrnal IP adress. It than uses its own "ISP internal IP adresses" to distribute the data flow.
    This is easy to check. You can again go into your router and check for IPv4 ...IP adress and than compare that IP adress to an adress that any specialized website reports to be your IP adress.......LOL ..this sounds complicated but it really is not.
    OK ... lets do it this way ... go to this link
    https://www.speedguide.net/scan.php

The site reports my "public IP " to be 213.149.61.xx , but it is located in a different town ...... Hmmmmm!!
    If I go to my router and check my real IP adress, it is : 100.125.29.xxx
    This means that my ISP has connected somehow a bunch of users with IPs : 100.125.29.xxx to one common "public IP adres" : 213.149.61.xx
    AND THAT CANT BE GOOD FOR GAMING
    And when your ISP does the above thing ..... by by PORT FORWARDING !!
    Lucky for me (I hope) , people in my country claim that if I ask my ISP to undo this process and to secure for me a direct exit to the internet - they must do it...
    I will try and report here to you... In the meantime you do your own research please!!

p.s. you can find DNS BENCH at @n1kobg blogspot

EDIT: I can confirm that what I suspected is true. A simple phonecall to my ISP was enough to confirm that they put me inside a "Carrier grade nAT" or cg NAT and at my request they changed it in matter of minutes. My ports are now open, and my IP address as seen in my router is the same as seen by online webpage !!! We will se how this will affect my gaming ... not wonders I presume, but I am happy with baby steps!!
    Last edited by jack37; 06-26-18 at 03:00 AM. Reason: RESULTS

Blog Entries
    Note that if you want to change your DNS for all your local client devices, you can change it at your NAT router as well.

Also, the majority of Cable/DSL gateways these days have built-in NAT routers in them, serving as DHCP servers as well, allowing you to connect many devices to them. That functionality uses NAT, and modern browsers allow you to extract the LAN IP from connected clients, as with whatsmyip.com, and our own security scan here: https://www.speedguide.net/scan.php. Your particular case may be somewhat unique for your ISP, or more common in your country, here they just report the local/private LAN IP address.
    Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits).
    ๑۩۞۩๑

I wanted to ask if any of the registry tweaks above impact on streaming from Twitch as a viewer? Twitch is buffering when I am watching live. My internet is 116mbps download 5mbps upload, so issue isn't internet. My ping is better than ever before with all the settings done from the suggestions above. It's not the advanced adaptor settings, because I restarted those and there was no impact. But what's causing buffering or delay in watching streamers on Twitch (only happens with high bitrate)?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfyre View Post
    I wanted to ask if any of the registry tweaks above impact on streaming from Twitch as a viewer? Twitch is buffering [/I])?
    From my limited knowledge ... yes they would affect streaming. All those tweaks are for online gaming - minimum or low amount of data and no "local" buffering - no altency at all. It is possible that with settings your system now cant process the amount af data streaming requires. Someone more experienced should help here, but at least you can try enabling offloading or changing the "autotuninglevel" to enabled....
    My point is that streaming or watching someone stream is on totally opposide side of spectrum from online gaming.

Ye it can affect it. Check Tcpip parameters. Set "Tcp1323Opts"=dword:00000002 or 1 I would prefer 1. You also could delete "MaxConnectionsPerServer"=dword:00000000.

Thanks n1kobg, just wanted to say I ran TCP Optimizer with Optimal Settings, restarted the PC. Deleted the MaxConnectionsPerServer from Regedit and from the registry tweaks you posted above, and changed the Tcp1323Opts to 1 instead of 0 from the registry tweaks you posted above too. Then ran your tweaks and restarted the computer. All buffering issues are solved, and ping is still great.