Thread: More Windows 10 Frustrations

Advanced Member

More Windows 10 Frustrations

So ever since the early days of Windows 10, I had found one way to stop the forced updates was to DISABLE the Windows Update Service in SERVICES. But now, on some computers that I have done this to, for other people, somehow that setting has been changed and various updates of Windows 10 have been applied. I am fairly certain these folks did not go into Services and change it themselves. What is going on? Also, I just setup a new Win 10 laptop and despite Disabling Windows Update Service, after removing several "Metro Apps" after every 2nd or 3rd reboot, Windows is attempting to reinstall these. Drawboard PDF, MSN News, Plex, Spotify. How can I stop this for good? Also, it seems with Windows 10 Update Service disabled, the computer will no longer do the Windows Defender update, even when launched from within the user interface. My blood is boiling over the incessant tinkering Microsoft is doing to Windows 10.
    Last edited by Qui-Gon John; 01-10-18 at 01:30 PM.

Advanced Member
    So I was helping someone with a new computer, Windows 10 V. 1709 B 16299.19. I am SO FRIGGIN ANGRY and ready to go to Redmond and go postal on MS Execs. It seems they have TOTALLY SCREWED up the Default Programs by Application. Instead of the familiar screen where when you click an program, Word 2013 or Adobe Acrobat, etc., it would show it has X defaults out of X possible. Now when you click you can only click MANAGE and then you have to set it for each file type you want that program to be the default. There is no longer a button to "Set this program as default" where the one click makes it the default for all types of files it can support. What the h311 is going on at Microsoft??? Why are they constantly allowing their programmers to make any STUPID change they feel like???

Quote Originally Posted by Qui-Gon John View Post
    So I was helping someone with a new computer, Windows 10 V. 1709 B 16299.19. I am SO FRIGGIN ANGRY and ready to go to Redmond and go postal on MS Execs. It seems they have TOTALLY SCREWED up the Default Programs by Application. Instead of the familiar screen where when you click an program, Word 2013 or Adobe Acrobat, etc., it would show it has X defaults out of X possible. Now when you click you can only click MANAGE and then you have to set it for each file type you want that program to be the default. There is no longer a button to "Set this program as default" where the one click makes it the default for all types of files it can support. What the h311 is going on at Microsoft??? Why are they constantly allowing their programmers to make any STUPID change they feel like???
    Hey, Did you try this programs?
    I think best out there!

https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10
    https://github.com/Nummer/Destroy-Wi...pying/releases

Maybe Windows 10 Updated through P2P over your network, i dont know if P2P is effected when you disable Windows 10 Update Service.
    Everytime you run an Update Offline or... Windows Update goes back Online and some Telemetry Services go back active.

Best thing to do is,
    Fresh Windows Install, first time login make sure there is no Internet Connection ( Unplug Lan Cable ) then run these Programs to disable every Microsoft Update Services! Should work!

Greetings St1cky

John, all that I can say is registry. It would be long and exhaustive...

If you do play in registry, be very careful as you can really mess things up. I don't recommend it...

Advanced Member
    Ken, I have done a lot in the registry on various issues, so I know to play it safe. But aside from that, I am not sure how your post can help me. Perhaps PM with more detail?

I forget the path and item but force enable metered connection on a wired network connection and it'll stop doing updates. It should be easily google-able.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by Qui-Gon John View Post

There is..in search type "defaults" and it'll bring up the Default Apps section under Settings.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Advanced Member
    I have gone into it from various methods, typing Default Apps, as you state also thru contol panel. I am not talking about the first screen you get when you type default apps in the search box, (which does not have all apps, from what I've seen). But rather if you then click the link at the bottom that says "Set defaults by App". Once there, that is the screen where the functionality has been drastically reduced. I even tried it an additional time, before I clicked SUBMIT on my OP, just to be sure of what I was seeing. It is in the second picture that I am complaining about. The line that says "This program has all of it's defaults" and "Set this program as default" are missing in the version of Windows 10 I mentioned.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Win10Default.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	1301Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Win10Default2.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	1302

Blog Entries
    There is a trend to simplify user choices and generally dumb-down the OS. That said, setting a program as default for "all the types of files it can open" seems ambiguous and not necessarily an OS task. I can understand if the OS knows about MS products, but I doubt it can correctly guess it for any app.

Advanced Member
    Just saying, the second pic I put is how it used to be, and has been for ages. Don't see that taking this option away is an improvement, rather a step backwards. Programmer run amok.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    I'm still not getting what you're after. If you click Defaults...which brings up that first screenshot on your left, and you scroll to the bottom, you have those 3x links there...File Type, Protocol, or Apps...the Type or Apps always do what I've needed, they seem equiv to earlier versions to me. If you select by App...scroll to your app..click it...brings out a button that says Manage...from there, all the deets such as file extensions. I usually do File Type...which is the similar interface to be as earlier Windows versions (just larger in the Win10 fashion).
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Advanced Member
    With this latest change, when you click "Set Defaults by App" you get a screen something like the second one, but it no longer has the line that says "This program has all of it's defaults" and "Set this program as default". Yes, you now get MANAGE by the specific APP and then all the various file extensions. If you want to change things you have to do it for each file extension. It should at least have an option here to "Set this program as default for all extensions" or something similar. Plus the line that says "This program has all of it's defaults" OR "This program has 11 of 13 defaults" made it real easy, at a glance to see the default status of the selected app/program.