Thread: Another Windows 10 Screw Over

Advanced Member

Another Windows 10 Screw Over

So when Windows 10 first came out, as I helped people, certain items in the Start Menu (be they on the right boxes, or the left, the list), we wanted to put shortcuts on the desktop. Windows 10 took away the ability to Right-Click then say "Send To Desktop". But there was an easy work-around. You could Right-Click and select "Openm File Location". When that opened in Windows Explorer (File Explorer ... whichever name you prefer), you could then Right-Click and choose "Send To Desktop".

Today I helped someone with a new HP Laptop with Windows 10 and in this version of 10, (I assume it is the latest version), when you Right-Click anything in the Start Menu (be it boxes on the right side or just entries on the list on the left, "Open File Location" is nowhere to be found. The THIEVES at Microsoft stole it. It is not here, not even under "MORE".

When Microsoft touted their "forced updates" they claimed it was to keep people safe on the latest security patches, etc. What a load of BULLS4IT!!!! If so, why are they constantly changing form and function, moving things around, changing how things work (or making them no longer work). This infuriates me beyond expression. Makes me want to go to their HQ and take out my anger physically upon all the programming staff and the management staff.

Has anyone else noticed this change? Does anyone know a way to alter this back, like a registry hack or something similar. On this particular case, there was, on both sides "GET OFFICE" the laptop already had Office and I wanted to remove this. Had I been able to OPEN FILE LOCATION I could have just deleted the offending entries. Even a search of the hard drive in Windows Explorer, for "Get Office" yielded no results.

TIME TO DESTROY MICROSOFT!!!!!

So to remove things just unpin them,

If you want something that is on the start menu also on the desktop, drag the icon to the desktop.

Also, get a stress ball.

Advanced Member
    But unpinning does not actually remove items off the computer. And do you think it is fine the MS keeps changing things like this? Things that have nothing to do with keeping the computer/OS/User secure. Also, have you seen this change on any versions of Win10 you come in contact with?

Blog Entries
    My latest Windows 10 has the "Uninstall" option when you right-click icons... Maybe the "Home" edition doesn't have it, or user accounts without admin privileges?

IN general, MS is just playing catch-up with Google and Apple's live icons/badges. They are also trying to simplify sub-menus and every other interaction with the OS, it's "trendy". There are still ways to do it, just not as obvious, we will have to adapt. I don't particularly like it, but I wouldn't stress over it, as long as there is a way to do it.

If you want to delete the apps in Windows 10 home you can do that from the Apps and Features menu. If its a traditional program then you uninstall that from programs and features.

I don't care for the live tiles so I don't use them, you can also install a classic shell app too to get the old start menu back, but personally I just don't use it. Windows 10 as a whole is great so I can deal with a less than great start menu.

Advanced Member
    So Phillip, does it have the "Open File Location" option when you right-click something on the Start Menu. YoS, in some ways 10 is good, but the forced updates and things like constantly changing where things are, functions such as we're discussing here, etc. have made me determined to stay off of it as long as possible. I do support it for folks I provide computer assistance for, but IMHO MS has over-stepped the bounds. If they insist on having forced updates they MUST be limited to true security or performance issues, not just some whim of a programmer who thinks something is "trendy".

Forced updates wouldn't be necessary if the average user wasn't an idiot.

I disagree on having the updates limited to performance and security. I like that they are updating the OS with features over time, rather than focing me to get a new OS if I want them. Changing the layout and how thigns are done can be annoying to get use to, but as long as the functionality is there I'm happy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Qui-Gon John View Post
    So Phillip, does it have the "Open File Location" option when you right-click something on the Start Menu.
    Yes, it is under "More -> Open File Location"

Windows 10 Pro
    Version 1709
    OS Build 16299.64
    Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits).
    ๑۩۞۩๑

Windows 10 Home

I don't have that under more, but the same functionality can be done by dragging the icon off of the start menu to create a desktop icon.

Advanced Member
    See on the Windows 10 I was working on, I looked under MORE but "Open File Location" was not there, as it was on every other version of 10 I had worked on.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    Windows 10 Home
    You're behind! :P

I still have the "Open File Location" option...and I'm on the latest (at the moment) 1709 update. Just got a Lenovo Thinkpad Carbon X1 gen5.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Advanced Member
    Helped someone else with Windows 10 today and on their version, (not sure which), most of the items in the Start Menu (either side) did not have "Open File Location", but a couple of them did. How do you see the exact version. I tried System Info in Control Panel (same as right-click Computer then choose Properties). It says Windows 10 Home, but not the build info. This computer was weird in another way, when I last worked on it back in Nov, I had disabled Windows Updates, by stopping and then disabling the Windows Update service in SERVICES. This usually works. Well on this one, somehow it was turned back on and it seemed to have done a major update on 12/12.

Blog Entries
    The build is under "Settings > System > About".. You can access "Settings" by clicking the Start button, then the gear icon in the left-most column.

Some Windows Store Apps may not have the "Open File Location", my guess is because their location is in that hidden Applications folder and MS doesn't want you to mess things up in there.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by Qui-Gon John View Post
    How do you see the exact version.
    For the whole history of Windows...it's always been the "winver" command. Hit the Windows key plus the R key to quickly bring up the RUN dialog box. Type in Winver hit enter. BOOM there's a box that pops up with deets of what version of Windows you're using.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Advanced Member
    Sorry, I should have remembered one of those options to see this. It's been so long since I needed to know that whilst working on a system I had forgotten. That's when I thought it would just show on the Computer Properties screen.

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    You're behind! :P
    Right after I replied, windows started downloading the 1709 build. lol

EDIT and 1709 added back the "open file location" option

Blog Entries
    Ha, interesting that they'd add it back.. I never noticed it missing, I suppose I've learned to work around the interface to get to what I need heh.