Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't access Facebook

Blog Entries
    That would indicate issues with your ISP's DNS servers... It would affect other sites as well. The DNS servers you listed above are Google's, they are usually a good choice.

Lately, I prefer NTT/Verio's DNS servers, we have a list of different DNS providers here: https://www.speedguide.net/faq/what-...-can-i-use-128

I'll definitely check those out. My connection is definitely improving.
    Do you run FF? I'm running it right now and I seem to like it but anything is better than going back to that DNS setting I was using.

I downloaded freeware called DNS Jumper. Do you use that? According to that, the Google settings were the lowest miliseconds, if I got that correct.

I also DLd freeware called nameserver which is supposed to be better but it seemed to take forever to search for the best servers so I got impatient with it and got DNS Jumper and used that instead, and it really seems to help.

I tested to get over 66 Mbps today, yet on FB I couldn't do a thing at times. But now I do much better.
    It sure seems good to not get the damned error page any more.

Thank you. I took down the NTT DNS numbers and put them into my settings in IP4.
    After doing this, should I reboot my PC?

Glad to learn this stuff. If there one thing I hate is a sluggish internet connection.
    I think the holiday shoppers and surfers really made it more necessary for me to do something about it.

Blog Entries
    You don't have to reboot for DNS server changes to take effect. Either NTT or Google's are fine, for me NTTs are consistently low latency (low name resolution time), not sure if it is that way everywhere in the US.

I've been fiddling around with DNS Jumper. I can test many DNS servers and one called US UltraDNS has the shortest resolve time for what that's worth. It's resolve time in only about 19 seconds whereas most others are up over 100 miliseconds. So I selected that DNS to be on my settings, and then today I got that facebook error page once on that DNS so I jumped DNS again. I can select "default" DNS which includes about 30 servers to test, or I can select "secure" which only contains about 3, and one of them is Norton and another is Comodo. I switched to Comodo, even tho the resolve time is much higher, about 200 ms, but I haven't seen that error page pop up again since. I'm just starting to understand a little about DNS Jumper but it's good to know that I can stay on a DNS server that should give me at least good performance.