Thread: Getting ready for a new OS install...

Question Getting ready for a new OS install...

I'm getting ready to wipe my C drive and put a new Win 10 copy down. I'm getting a lot of funny things happening and I believe they may be tied to either some corrupt files or a bad HDD. I'm using the mediacreationtool.exe and will be installing it on a new HDD (WD Blue). I may pickup an SSD but I really don't need the speed so I may just go with the WD for now. I have the ISO files on a USB and will be installing from there. This brings up 2 questions...

1. Will the mediacreationtool app work with a new unformatted drive? Will it give me the opportunity to format the drive before installing the OS? I'm pretty sure it will format the drive just like a regular install? I just had to ask.
    2. I really don't have many critical applications, and the ones I have (Cubase and Lightroom) I know what to backup etc. I'm just looking for some help/ideas on what to back up. The reason I ask is that one time I had all the bases covered and forgot to backup Outlook. I was only able to retrieve what was still on my ISP's mail server but I lost all my contact and calendar. I just it was just a brain fart. So, before I get under way I was wondering what you might have on your list of back "requirements". I already have my bookmarks and "PST" files. I was just wondering what else may be on your "to do" list?

If the new install goes correctly I think I'm going to go with a OS SSD "SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 250GB SATA III 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-75E250B/AM" and a "SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 500GB SATA III 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-75E500B/AM" for pictures and sound files and then use the WD Blue in a external eSATA enclosure and use it for backups. It would be detached from the main rig whenever a backup is done.

I'm confused, suggestions please. Does this make sense?

ya OS goes on fastest drive you have in your system

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Good choice on the Samsung Evo SSD.
    WD Blue drives...stay far far away. Wicked high failure rates...haven't seen a model with a high failure rate like the blues since the Quantum Bigfoot drives.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I was thinking of using the Blue for backups that are done about once a week. It won't see a lot of hours.

I'm in need of a new system and planning on a 512GB SSD for oss, apps, games, and a 1 or 2 TB hdd for data, hitachi deskstars are cheap and based on backblaze usage of them pretty reliable. 1TB drives are cheap, get 1 for the system and another to put in a backup enclosure.

Blog Entries
    I use Hitachi Deskstars lately everywhere, including my NAS, they've been great.. Much more reliable than Seagate/WD according to Backblaze and other tests.

For SSD, I'd get either Samsung EVO or an Intel 545s if I was buying today.

I'm still having the network card problem in my other thread. I've tried everything. I give up. Although the only inconvenience is that I have to turn my computer on about 15 seconds before I turn on my monitor... I'm sure something else will be breaking soon and I want to beat it to the punch. I'm starting to spec out a new machine, CPU/Mobo/Memory/SSD/SSD and backup HDD. I'd like to go all out on this build. Not bleeding edge, but top shelf. Fortunately, all the software I use regularly, Lightroom and Cubase are spec'd for my current build so any upgrades are just going to sweeten the performance of those programs.