Thread: Adobe Reader Not Staying as Default

Advanced Member

Adobe Reader Not Staying as Default

I was helping someone last week with some upgrades. Windows 7 Home Premium. I uninstalled Office 2010. Then I upgraded his Adobe Reader from 10.1.x to 11.0.19. This is a work computer and they have not authorized higher Adobe Reader or Adobe Reader DC. Then I installed Office 2013. Now I cannot get Windows to keep the setting of Adobe Reader as the Default. If I go into DEFAULT PROGRAMS then SET YOUR DEFAULT PROGRAMS Adobe Reader does not show on the list (but this is true on my own Win7). If I go ASSOCIATE A FILE TYPE and scroll down to PDF it says ADOBE ACROBAT DOCUMENT in the DESCRIPTION but in CURRENT DEFAULT it says UNKNOWN APPLICATION. I tried uninstalling Adobe Reader and reinstalling, same thing. Also, if I go to a PDF file (on the desktop for example) and R-Click, choose OPEN WITH, then CHOOSE DEFAULT PROGRAM and select ADOBE READER and have the check box for ALWAYS USE THE SELECTED PROGRAM checked, it still does not correct this entry. By the way, at this step, the check mark is selected and grayed out. This is causing a problem when he wants to view PDFs from Outlook or other programs he uses, such as SMART STATION (hes a stock broker, this app is for his work).

Can anyone please help? Is there some way to force this in the registry? Right now, if he tried to open a PDF from one of these programs, he gets prompted to select a program to open the file with. A work around, but not ideal situation.

THANKS!

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Try it from another profile like Administrator profile instead of the user profile.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Advanced Member
    I will try that, but FYI, this User does have an Administrator type of account.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Yeah I was just trying for the "another profile" approach...not so much because of local admin privvies, but..because we often don't know the passwords of other user accounts, and..the Administrator profile is "usually" more clean and not molested with junk like local users.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!