Thread: Is it the modem or my computer?

Question Is it the modem or my computer?

Hello, Speed Guide forum,

I have a couple of questions today that has been going around in my head for a while now it's about time I found some answers and I'm hoping this is the best place to do so. I am living in Cambodia and loving life, I own a Guesthouse called Kampot Oasis and I'm having a few problems with the amount of bandwidth that is getting shared between each computer (I think) for example I want to be able to allocate a certain amount of bandwidth to any single computer so if someone is downloading a movie then they won't take all of the internets if that makes sense? What are my options to get around this problem?

My final problem. We have just got a new modem and WiFi router that in general is working fine but my computer just wont pick up the WiFi signal. I have connected from my hotspot and a friends wireless so my wireless chip is working fine and guessing it must be the router or a setting somewhere?

All and any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Blog Entries
    I am not sure about your particular router, but many modern ones have "MuMimo" and QoS (Quality of Service) settings that can be used to prioritize traffic depending on its type, so that no one client can hog all the bandwidth and degrade the experience for others. Some routers also allow for individual control per client, or limiting the bandwidth of the wireless connection.

As to your other question, I would go into the Network Adapter properties and delete all old wireless networks that are remembered by the computer. You may even delete/reinstall the wireless network card driver. Then you'd be able to set up a fresh copy of the wireless connection.