Thread: Errors #10053 !

Errors #10053 !

Hi all,

I work for a company who developped client-serveur solutions on Windows OS (from Vista to Windows 10).
    I write here because I need help. Recently, some of our customers called us because they encounter network errors while they are working (I mean they launch the Client, connect it to the Server, do some work within and then, sometimes, have a deconnection with socket error #10053). Unfortunally our customers don't help us too much in finding solution. So we are searching in the recent changes we've made.
    One of them is that we fixe the socket buffer size to 64Ko (by 2 calls to setsockopt () -winsock2 API method- with parameter SO_SNDBUF and SO_RCVBUF) (this on Client and Server side). Before that we leaved the system fix the buffers size.
    Do you think this change can be responsible of theese errors ?
    What do you think about fixing socket buffer size by application (rather than let the system do it) ?
    And what do you think about this value (64Ko) ?

Thanks in advance for responses (and sorry for my very bad english)
    Gilles

Blog Entries
    That particular error means that software caused connection to abort:

[qute]
    An established connection was aborted by the software in your host computer, possibly due to a data transmission time-out or protocol error.
    [/quote]

The software may start aborting connections when its memory buffers are filled, so yes, increasing the buffer may be prompting your server to start aborting old/stale connections.

I would try to work with the server only, and return the buffers back to the original, or even look at its network adapter settings (disable ECN, any type of packet coalescing and offloads, other than CRC checks). There is an article on Network Adapter optimization on the main site that discusses those settings.
    Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits).
    ๑۩۞۩๑