Thread: Killer NIC Worth Utilizing?

Killer NIC Worth Utilizing?

I am running a KILLER e2200 NIC with updated drivers on my old z87 Mobo (i5 haswell) on Windows 10 x64. I also use the TCPoptimizer and I primarily use my PC for playing games.

Just wondering if this NIC is even worth using the hardware settings...and if so - are any of the adjustable settings worth tweaking?

ARP Offload: Disabled
    ECMA: Disabled
    Energy Efficient Ethernet: Disabled
    Flow Control: Disabled
    Interupt Moderation: Disabled
    IPv4 Checksum Offload: Enabled
    Jumbo Frame: Disabled
    Large Send Offload: Disabled
    Max IRQ per Second: 10000
    Maximum Number of RSS Queues: 2
    Network Address: Not Present
    NS Offload: Disabled
    Receive Buffers: 1024
    Receive Side Scaling: Enabled
    Shutdown Wake Up: Enabled
    Speed & Duplex: Automatic
    SWOI: Disabled
    TCP Checksum Offload: Enabled
    UDP Checksum Offload: Enabled
    Transmit Buffers: 1024
    VLAN ID: 0
    Wake on magic packet: Disabled
    Wake on pattern match: Disabled

I would also like to note that I am only using an updated INF file for the updated driver settings. Do I need the actual driver installed for the NIC features to be doing anything?
    Last edited by Dregos; 10-11-17 at 05:02 PM.

Blog Entries
    Your settings seem good to me, as if you already went through them. If the settings show in the NIC properties in Windows, then they are available to the driver.

There are a couple of articles on the main site that apply to your question, I don't see anything wrong with your settings above though, the receive/transmit buffers are just a bit higher than usual (you can reduce them to 512 probably)

Network Adapter settings - https://www.speedguide.net/articles/...imization-3449
    Gaming tweaks - https://www.speedguide.net/articles/gaming-tweaks-5812
    Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission.
    ๑۩۞۩๑

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    Your settings seem good to me, as if you already went through them. If the settings show in the NIC properties in Windows, then they are available to the driver.

There are a couple of articles on the main site that apply to your question, I don't see anything wrong with your settings above though, the receive/transmit buffers are just a bit higher than usual (you can reduce them to 512 probably)

Network Adapter settings - https://www.speedguide.net/articles/...imization-3449
    Gaming tweaks - https://www.speedguide.net/articles/gaming-tweaks-5812
    1024 was the default settings for this driver version (it has been increased as drivers updated). Would setting it even lower provide any sort of performance benefit? The buffers can go as low as 16 in my NIC. Thanks for your reply.

Blog Entries
    Setting it lower just reduces the number of packets that may be handled by the NIC before using your computer resources. It is a tradeoff between using up NIC resources and CPU/RAM. In general, many NICs may introduce a bit of latency while handling packets, but mostly using "Offloads" rather than just buffers. Good NICs should be allowed a bit higher buffers, and it is ok to use some buffers while gaming, since the CPU may be more strained with your game. However, excessive buffering is not necessary, it depends on the NIC driver, etc. Usually, with non-brand and onboard NICs the buffers are at 256, brand name NICs (Intel, etc.) they can be bumped to 512. I am not sure about your particular NIC, but it may be fine with even higher buffer than 512, if it has adequate resources and a good driver.