Thread: 50+ dead, 200 injured in Las Vegas shooting

Blog Entries

50+ dead, 200 injured in Las Vegas shooting

A single gunman fired upon thousands of people attending a music festival in Las Vegas, killing more than 50 people and wounding 200+. Police identified him as a single shooter from a 32nd floor window at the Mandalay Bay hotel..:
    http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...tival-shooting

News are calling it the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history. Police have identified the shooter as 64-year old Stephen Paddock, resident of Mesquite Nevada, who was eventually killed by police. They found 8 weapons inside the hotel room.
    http://heavy.com/news/2017/10/stephe...photos-motive/

All I can say is, my sincere condolences to all the victims' families, and thanks to all the emergency workers and first responders.

Actually there is more (at the risk of politicizing this). Fully automatic weapons enable wakos to shoot more people faster. At the same time, contrary to popular belief, it is extemely difficult to get a permit and own a military grade fully automatic weapon in the U.S.. First, you have to be eligible to possess firearms in general (i.e. not a felon, pass through the NICS-National Instant Criminal Background Check System, etc.). Then, you have to be in a state that allows a person to own such a weapon. The weapon itself has to be grandfathered in from before the 1986 ban I believe. Then, there is a full FBI background check, BATFE (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives) processing, you get to pay quite a bit of money for all that, plus $200 NFE tax stamps, and the whole process takes over 6 months before you take possession of such firearm. One would think that all those safeguards in place should work better?
    Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission.
    ๑۩۞۩๑

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    Actually there is more (at the risk of politicizing this). Fully automatic weapons enable wakos to shoot more people faster. At the same time, contrary to popular belief, it is extremely difficult to get a permit and own a military grade fully automatic weapon in the U.S.. First, you have to be eligible to possess firearms in general (i.e. not a felon, pass through the NICS-National Instant Criminal Background Check System, etc.). Then, you have to be in a state that allows a person to own such a weapon. The weapon itself has to be grandfathered in from before the 1986 ban I believe. Then, there is a full FBI background check, BATFE (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives) processing, you get to pay quite a bit of money for all that, plus $200 NFE tax stamps, and the whole process takes over 6 months before you take possession of such firearm. One would think that all those safeguards in place should work better?
    Yeah this tragedy will surely result in some changes in gun laws. The discussion is much broader than just laws. We've seen enough tragedies in the past, where the shooter should have been on the radar to prevent getting their hands on guns. But medical privacy prevents cross communication there. And/or..at least the house hold. We can roll back to clock to the Sandy Hook school shooting not far from where I live...that kid had a lengthy past history of mental illness, and yet his mom was into guns and had a closet full of them. She paid the ultimate price for that choice, as did many students and teachers at that school.

We can find many similarities in other shootings....where the shooter should have been prevented from getting their hands on weapons.

This situation here in Las Vegas...we're still waiting to find facts about this Paddock guy. So far...his past is coming up rather clean. Other than some people pointing to his genetics and the fact that his father was a "most wanted" career criminal with multiple violent crimes.

Although I'm a gun owner, and licensed to carry, and I grew up around guns and hunting and gun ranges, I think with todays society and socially challenged people and issues...it may be time to cut back some things. I've had my fun shooting full automatics...but are they really necessary? Yeah, legally obtained full automatics have only been used in 3x crimes so far (prior to this one)...so laws controlling them may not do much. We've yet to know what Paddock used...although some of us can tell for sure by the sound clips that he had full automatics. (hard to say from cell phone audio...but the shots sound like an AK to me) And the recent law to make it easier to get sound suppression (silencers)...I don't see a need for that. We wear ear protection at the range.

Tough times...tough times.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Blog Entries
    One commonly waives their medical privacy rights the moment they step into a doctors' office, there shouldn't be any in place when it comes to fully automatic weapons. It is believed he was using either a fully-automatic, or some type of modified rifle, the police are now saying he had 23 firearms in the hotel room, and another 19 in his house.

I am also a gun owner, and enjoy the freedoms provided to me under the constitution myself. I agree with the notion that people, not guns kill people. Still, I believe we need enforceable common sense regulations in place that help keep weapons away from mentally unstable people to reduce the risk of such tragedies. There are countries like Switzerland, where gun laws work even with high gun ownership rates.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    Still, I believe we need enforceable common sense regulations in place that help keep weapons away from mentally unstable people to reduce the risk of such tragedies. There are countries like Switzerland, where gun laws work even with high gun ownership rates.
    Agreed....we need to get those two departments communicating better. If one looks at the history of gun related tragedies here in the US...in more than 75% of them, the shooter should not have been able to get their hands on a weapon based on things already known about them. Be it legal (prior convictions), or medical (history of mental illness).
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I can't see a fix for soft targets. I do however see a future where we have everyone going to a concert or public event wearing a bulletproof vest and tactical gear to cut down on the losses. I really can't see how we can protect "soft" targets. How do you get down at a massive party in full tactical gear or with a monstrous militarized presence at every venue? **** I wouldn't want to go. Lets hope some of the experts in the field find a way of figuring out what is not stable. That dude sure was a bad example of stability. R.I.P. folks.