Thread: Trying to optimize my connection.

Trying to optimize my connection.

Hello guys. I've been using the site for many years and I read and follow all replies Philip writes, but still I have some areas of confusion. I recently ran the optimizer with optimal values and this is the speed test result
    https://www.speedguide.net/speedtest...est=1506624612
    This is my analyzer result:
    SpeedGuide.net TCP Analyzer Results
    Tested on: 2017.09.28 14:53
    IP address: 75.58.x.xxx
    Client OS/browser: Windows 7 (Firefox 45.9)

TCP options string: 020405b40103030801010402
    MSS: 1460
    MTU: 1500
    TCP Window: 65536 (NOT multiple of MSS)
    RWIN Scaling: 8 bits (2^8=256)
    Unscaled RWIN : 256
    Recommended RWINs: 64240, 128480, 256960, 513920, 1027840
    BDP limit (200ms): 2621kbps (328KBytes/s)
    BDP limit (500ms): 1049kbps (131KBytes/s)
    MTU Discovery: ON
    TTL: 55
    Timestamps: OFF
    SACKs: ON
    IP ToS: 00000000 (0)

I have tried so many things so many times and I cant get any other value for the RWIN Scaling which is stuck on 8 bits. and yet, my speed is not too far, in fact, is better than the one my plan offers, which confuses the hell out of me. Since we cant change the RWIN directly, how do you guys suggest I could get a decent window?
    I am using Windows 7 Pro 64bit. My processor is an Intel Core i5-2500k, I got 16Gb of RAM. My adapter is an Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network .Connection, as part of my ASUS motherboard. I hope I got it all down. I hope you guys can help me with this. Thanks.
    Arm.

Blog Entries
    With Windows 7 and newer, the OS implements a RWIN (TCP Window) auto-tuning algorithm. This controls the RWIN scaling, and the unscaled RWIN value. It varies from packet to packet and it takes a bit of time to ramp up to a higher value, i.e. when you first connect to a website (or the TCP Analyzer server), you will see a small RWIN value, but if you are doing a large file download, it will ramp up to a more suitable number, depending on network conditions like latency and throughput.

Because of that auto-tuning, we can only control how aggressively that algorithm increases the RWIN value, and that is what the TCP Optimizer does (under newer OSes). In general, TCP Window auto-tuning should be at "normal", the Optimizer optimal settings keep it at that.

I hope this helps.

P.S. We should probably expand on the information the TCP Analyzer provides to clarify all that somehow.
    Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission.
    ๑۩۞۩๑

I agree. I think its a great idea. It seems like you first wrote that program a few years ago, when it was more flexible, and it still "recommends" values for RWIN, as if we could change them ourselves. Its a great piece of software that shows us how capable you are in these matters, but its about time it gets another look to allow it to handle the latest OS's and protocols. I'll be looking for the new version. Thanks. Arm.

Blog Entries
    You have a point. Still, one must also allow for the many other OSes (Linux, MACs, etc.) where one can set all those values manually without any issue. The options should/may also be available in some server versions of Windows. Setting the TCP Window is not obsolete, merely disabled/obscured in newer consumer versions of Windows by "auto-tuning".