Thread: Router for many wirless connections

Router for many wirless connections

I am setting up a wireless network at our local club. Currently what they have is crap and very old. There are only a few wired connections and the patrons use the wireless.
    I am looking for a decent mimo router in the $200 range. AT times I may have up to 30 connections. Yes I know a single router is not the best solution but its all they can afford right now.
    I am currently looking at a NETGEAR Nighthawk X4S - AC2600 4x4 MU-MIMO for about 230 bucks.

Thoughts? opinions? Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Netgears are good, so are Asus 802.11ac routers, it should work well enough.

If they need further expansion later on, you may add one of those mesh Wi-Fi systems, I really like the Linksys Velop (you can set up individual nodes just as access points with wired backhaul behind a main router too, freeing up all 3 radios for clients on each node). They have great range, one can find them for ~$120 ea. on fleabay.

Yea I have used unifi in the past with pretty good luck. I realize I should have more APs to split up the connections but the budget isn't there right now.
    Do you think the Asus RT-AC3100 would be a better choice? I could always upgrade to Merlin if I thought it needed it.

Blog Entries
    They should be pretty comparable, not sure which one is better myself.. They are both solid companies, both models support MU-MIMO which is good for the higher number of clients, both models are well reviewed/rated. The Asus model has a bit higher Wi-Fi throughput but not by much. Either should work.

You can always configure the old Wi-Fi router as an additional access point at no cost, most of them can be setup easily.. There is a guide on the main site: https://www.speedguide.net/articles/...ess-point-2556
    Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits).
    ๑۩۞۩๑

Thanks for the input. I will go with the Asus and see where that puts us.That will save them a little money as well.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    The aforementioned Asus models are good, as well as the Nighthawk models.

One thing to remember though..it doesn't matter how powerful or how much range the wireless access point has....that's only 1/2 of the equation. The other 1/2 of the equation is the range of the "client". There are some wireless APs with 600 foot ranges...but many laptops and tables may just have a 200 foot range, and smart phones..a 125 foot range.

So "coverage" that takes into consideration the range of the clients is one of the reason we go for multiple access points sprinkled around businesses. And thanks to some brands like Ubiquiti...with their Unifi wireless product lineup, a good "business grade" managed wireless system can..no..."will"..work so much better than a residential grade wireless router....for really not that much more money.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Thanks, I did go with the Asus and put the clients on the 2 wireless guest networks. I did not want them on the other networks with the computer, juke box etc.
    The business is only 1 floor but the area is approx 200' x 80'. The furthest point from the router is about 125 feet. 99% of the time the patrons are using tablets or phones. Very rarely I will see a laptop in there.
    I want to set up qos for the DJ because he streams music for certain parties and he would get first priority but can that be done on the guest network side? I have never tried to use it on the guest networks.

Blog Entries
    I think the QoS can be set per client based on their adapter MAC address, this should be independent of which network they are connected to.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    The Asus has two areas you can touch QoS...you'll see the first one, the "automatic mode" one, in the Traffic Manager link on the left column. You'll see where you can plug in up/down bandwidth there.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!