Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Any DIY kife sharpeners out there?

  1. #1
    resident Humboldt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    27,649

    Any DIY kife sharpeners out there?

    Gotten back into my blade edges after a friend made me a wood-mounted strop with chromium oxide.

    Looking at this combo whetstone: https://www.amazon.com/BearMoo-Whets...XWXNK5NSKEYA95

    Any thoughts?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Administrator Philip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida, United States
    Posts
    9,616
    Blog Entries
    6
    3000-8000 grit.. That seems too fine for me, wouldn't have the patience for a kitchen knife, otherwise seems great.

  3. #3
    resident Humboldt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    27,649
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    5000..8000 grit.. That seems too fine for me, wouldn't have the patience for a kitchen knife, otherwise seems great.
    I've got coarser, looking for fine

    I think the chromium oxide w/ leather is ballpark 20,000.

  4. #4
    Administrator Philip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida, United States
    Posts
    9,616
    Blog Entries
    6
    Actually, looking at it I think I have the coarser version (the 240/800) that I use all the time. Mine doesn't have that logo or the holder but it looks/seems exactly the same, including colors. I love it, does the job great.

  5. #5
    Second Most EVIL YARDofSTUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    69,920
    I just bought a couple of sharpening stones, like 300 and 1000 grit maybe, have to learn how to use them but all the tools in the garage needed sharpening so figured I'd give it a shot. Should probably look into something like that for the kitchen knives, have a nice steak knife set that one got dinged in the dish washer.

  6. #6
    resident Humboldt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    27,649
    Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    I just bought a couple of sharpening stones, like 300 and 1000 grit maybe, have to learn how to use them but all the tools in the garage needed sharpening so figured I'd give it a shot. Should probably look into something like that for the kitchen knives, have a nice steak knife set that one got dinged in the dish washer.
    You might to check this out for tools: https://www.harborfreight.com/3-piec...cks-36799.html

    I bought a set from them about 6 months ago and am very happy with them.

    Not much use in the kitchen but perfect for removing material quickly on other tools.

  7. #7
    SG MVP Lefty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    SG Tavern
    Posts
    18,773
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kme-sharpening-system-a-1__66213.1501788693.730.500.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	1291

    I have this system. I originally found it difficult to use use. I kept at it and found it better and the angle is the same on both sides. Mind you setting up the angle takes some learning because different knives need different angle. I don't use it as much these days because it seems like a lot more work than other cheaper systems I have tried that are a lot faster.

  8. #8
    resident Humboldt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    27,649
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kme-sharpening-system-a-1__66213.1501788693.730.500.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	1291

    I have this system. I originally found it difficult to use use. I kept at it and found it better and the angle is the same on both sides. Mind you setting up the angle takes some learning because different knives need different angle. I don't use it as much these days because it seems like a lot more work than other cheaper systems I have tried that are a lot faster.
    Thanks Lefty, good to see you.

    I've seen similar and heard good reviews. Never tried one.

    What are the "other cheaper systems I have tried that are a lot faster"?

    Currently combining the diamond stones I posted earlier (Fine, 360; Medium, 260; Coarse, 180, https://www.harborfreight.com/3-piec...cks-36799.html) with a Spyderco SharpMaker, plus using the ceramic posts from that freehand, and a wood-mounted leather strop embedded with chromium oxide wax (ballpark 15,000-20,000 grit).

  9. #9
    SG MVP Lefty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    SG Tavern
    Posts
    18,773
    Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    Thanks Lefty, good to see you.

    I've seen similar and heard good reviews. Never tried one.

    What are the "other cheaper systems I have tried that are a lot faster"?

    Currently combining the diamond stones I posted earlier (Fine, 360; Medium, 260; Coarse, 180, https://www.harborfreight.com/3-piec...cks-36799.html) with a Spyderco SharpMaker, plus using the ceramic posts from that freehand, and a wood-mounted leather strop embedded with chromium oxide wax (ballpark 15,000-20,000 grit).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41DGg4OlTvL.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	1292
    I can use this on all my knives then hit them with a steel to take off any burrs and I am good to go. I know it is not a knife purist's way to do things but I sure do save a lot of time. Works really good on scissors too. I got it back in 2013 and is just now showing signs of wear. I also can replace the sharpening edges if you look at the pic you can see two screws that release the sharpening edges. I originally paid $7.10 for it on Amazon.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •