Thread: Windstream troubles. No options where I reside

Windstream troubles. No options where I reside

I live in a remote area that has ONLY Windstream as an ISP via ADSL. I am not the only one in this area that has issues. They charge a ridiculous high fee for 6mb down speed. I am lucky to get 4mb on a good day. Many complaints were sent by myself and neighbors. They apparently could care less since they are the only game in town. If anyone else here is experiencing this horrendous (service?) let me know. Maybe we can all band together and do something to get it improved or to have the FCC or whoever do something to help. I am billed over 70 dollars er month for this garbage. They DO NOT issue credits for downtime or lower than promised bandwidth!

Blog Entries
    Sorry to hear about your experience with them... You are right that without competition ISPs tend to slack on good service. You will need a lot of support to do anything about it, voicing your concerns is a good first step though.

Keep in mind 15-20% overhead is typical with DSL, since lines are prone to interference and very dependent on distance, so getting 4Mbps on a 6Mbps service is not that uncommon. The TCP Optimizer program on the main site may be able to help a bit with optimizing your end of the connection. Looking into the exact signal levels and sync speed in your modem stats page is also a good idea.

Thanks Phillip I will try the optimizer.... I live in the sticks so it is this or satellite which I hear is even worse.....

Blog Entries
    DSL is usually better than satellite, as it doesn't suffer from the latency issues.. Until OneWeb, or someone else deploys the new low-orbit satellites, then it may be game-changing.