Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: He fell for it again.

He fell for it again.

Years ago I spent hours remote fixing my father's PC after it got some ransomware and locked up, even after he shelled out $100.
    New partition, Ubuntu, fix Windows.

This time he got pop-ups (installed by third party software) that his PC was locked, but they had the MicroSoft logo right on them, so must have been legit.

Called the 1 855 676 6753 number, who passed him off to another guy with an Indian accent so thick he could barely understand the guy.
    No sir, not a scam, we are MicroSoft.

This time $900 for lifetime PC tech support!

Waiting to hear back from him after he calls the cc company about a chargeback.

AARRGGH!

Holy sheet, make that $1500.
    One charge for $800, one for $700.

He's disputing both of course.

Logged in with TeamViewer, seeing what I can do.
    Starting with MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware.

Any other suggestions appreciated, thanks.

Huh, found nothing so far.

I'm guessing they took him for $1500 but didn't install anything beyond "KE IT 1 855 676 6753" embedded as a toolbar by the clock.

Nothing showed up in extensions, and it remained when the browser was closed.
    Just removed it as a toolbar, we'll see if it re-appears after reboot.

Beyond that, nothing from Malwarebytes or Malwarebytes beta rootkit scanner, nor SuperAntiSpyware.

No odd services are jumping out.

Suggestions?

Thanks

Blog Entries
    I would also run:

ADWCleaner (very good at detecting browser extensions, toolbars and their remnants. Malwarebytes bought them recently I think, still a separate product)
    CCleaner (to generally clean up Registry, temp files, etc. while you are at it)

I am sure he'll get his money back, since it is very recent and obvious fraud.. Just teach him to call you first ?

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    I would also run:

ADWCleaner (very good at detecting browser extensions, toolbars and their remnants. Malwarebytes bought them recently I think, still a separate product)
    CCleaner (to generally clean up Registry, temp files, etc. while you are at it)

I am sure he'll get his money back, since it is very recent and obvious fraud.. Just teach him to call you first ?
    I thought we had that understanding. Pretty certain we do now
    Yeah, got CCleaner on there.

I'll run ADWCleaner next time I'm logged in, thanks for the reminder.

Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    I thought we had that understanding. Pretty certain we do now
    Yeah, got CCleaner on there.

I'll run ADWCleaner next time I'm logged in, thanks for the reminder.
    ADWCleaner did not find anything, I think we're good.

Funny, the only thing I know they actually did was help him create a gmail account (not bad work for $1500).
    Showed him how to change the password, and also showed him how to create a new account and customize it.

Blog Entries
    It's a good thing you learned about all of this now, and not a month later, might have been harder to recover the funds.

It's a good thing you learned about all of this now, and not a month later, might have been harder to recover the funds.
    Thanks for your advice Philip

Yeah, I call him on my weekend mornings, we talk about the weather (he loves talking about his weather, my weather), and chat, and about to say good-bye when I asked him how his new (refurbished Dell, nice machine I recommended) was doing.

"Well, funny thing, everything locked up but found someone who seems to be doing a good job..."

Asked him right off the bat if he allowed remote access and if he paid, scolded him and told him to call the cc company as soon as he got off the phone with me, then call me back to let me in and figure out what they might have done.

Thank you for your TeamViewer recommendation a couple of years ago. Much easier for him than VNC and actually much smoother on my end.

My mother refuses to download anything, questions windows update, and if a window she doesn't think looks familiar pops up she calls me. Trained her well. But its annoying when I have to tell her the printer queue is normal. lol

Maybe limit his user rights a bit for his own good?

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    My mother refuses to download anything, questions windows update, and if a window she doesn't think looks familiar pops up she calls me. Trained her well. But its annoying when I have to tell her the printer queue is normal. lol

Maybe limit his user rights a bit for his own good?
    His computer.

I think he gets it this time.

I would immediately cancel that CC and request a new one from his bank. No telling where that number is going to show up next.

Blog Entries
    Good call Easto.. I think they do that when there are unauthorized charges anyway, probably not for disputes though.

Quote Originally Posted by Easto View Post
    I would immediately cancel that CC and request a new one from his bank. No telling where that number is going to show up next.
    Would you stop it please?!?!?!? I have a flock, a wife, several mistresses, and a moose (don't ask) to care for. For the moose's sake, don't report that card as stolen until the new vaginal pump is paid for!
    People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.

They do that when there are unauthorized charges anyway, probably not for disputes though.
    *checks 'the books'* You NEVER disputed any charges to 'Philip's pain & pleasure palace' ever......
    Not criticizing or judging, just saying.
    People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Easto View Post
    Agreed, should have his new one by now.

Quote Originally Posted by MadDoctor View Post
    Would you stop it please?!?!?!? I have a flock, a wife, several mistresses, and a moose (don't ask) to care for. For the moose's sake, don't report that card as stolen until the new vaginal pump is paid for!
    I'm confused. Is the pump for the moose?

Or is it a vaginal moose pump for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    I'm confused. Is the pump for the moose?

Or is it a vaginal moose pump for you?
    Yes.

Moose-size is odd in the current circumstances.

Someone (Ken) implied the mouse-sized we be more appropriate for you.

Humboldt,

Don't feel alone. My Dad fell for the same thing but fortunately he didn't give out any information. There was a popup window with a phone number to "Microsoft" and he called it. Thank God no one picked it up. Regardless, I had him change out several things like CC number etc.

One thing I found with my dad and I think it may be the same with almost anyone else... they feel they need a CC for every singular purposes. I remember after my mother died. We were talking and he was going through his wallet. He must have had a gas CC for every service station under the sun. Several department store CCs etc. Nowadays, pick you favorite, Visa, MC or just about anything else and everyone takes one. I was able to convince him to trim it down to at least a couple. If you ever lose you wallet it's a whole lot easier to make one call rather than 13.

Thats a good point Easto. I think its best to have 1 or 2 where the rewards benefit you the most. Points for cash back, discount on gas, or whatever you can make the most of.