Thread: Alright, help me with my new build

Question Alright, help me with my new build

I already have a very nice case, 1000W PSU and all the peripherals. My first priority is to use it as a workstation. I run Adobe Lightroom 4 and I'll be updating to a new version of Steinberg's Cubase sometime soon. What I really need help with is the CPU/Mobo combination. I'll be buying a 256gb SSD for the OS and primary software. Then another 500gb ssd for storage then a remote HDD for nightly backups. I have a HDD dockingstation so being able to connect to the Mobo with eSata would be a plus. I'm very interested in using the new M.2 technology as either a secondary drive or as a scratch drive when using Lightroom.

Gaming is not really a priority but I will eventually be getting a video card, but since I only run at 1080 I really don't need all that power.

I would be willing to spend up to $750 - $1000 for the CPU/Mobo combination.

look hard at the new AMD ryzen chips, 8 core, overclockable and cheap from what i have seen

AMD is also coming out with new cpus nicknamed "thread ripper" that should be an incredible value compared to the intel 10-12 cores

i believe the mobos will be pricier that the ryzen chips for sure though

https://hardforum.com/forums/amd-processors.6/

https://hardforum.com/forums/intel-processors.5/

Since gaming isn't a big thing I agree with mark on getting a Ryzen chip. A modern video card could benefit you with lightroom too, they have a GPU acceleration feature and I think 4 has it.

750-1000 you can get a Ryzen 1800x, 1700x is probably the best value though. Quality motherboards seem limited right now since Ryzen is new, but the ASRock Taichi looks nice and is well reviewed, but no esata. Might be low on internal pcie slots as well.

Blog Entries
    Ryzens are cool, I'm glad AMD is back. Either that or one of the newest series I5/I7. I would be careful about the Ryzen motherboard as Yardy said if you decide to go that way, they are very new and some have quirks/issues. Just check the reviews on Newegg.

From what I've been seeing the Ryzen Mobos are somewhat buggy. I may stick with Intel. Do the M2 SSDs have speed ratings? I'd like to try out that technology but I'm not as up on these as I should be. I just want to get the Mobo/CPU right along with a couple SSDs and the M2.

Is it advisable to load the OS on a Primary SSD or the M2?

1. 250g SSD for Apps
    2. 500g SSD for pictures
    3 M2 as a scratch drive?

Blog Entries
    For both M2 and SATA SSDs, I'd stick with Samsung (or Intel).
    For the MoBo... I was very happy with my old Intel Mobo, but since they stopped making consumer ones I am back to ASUS. Nice flashy BIOSes now, seems they work great, haven't had any issues in a year. I'd stick with one of the big names here as well, newer chipset, fast DDR4 support, good onboard NIC(s) brand, the slots and M2 support you need.

I would install the OS on the fastest drive, M2 presumably, and use another for storage. One big SSD is better than two small ones imho, you get more even wear, they come with bigger cache and often better MTBF.
    Don't skimp on an efficient PSU as well (I know you wouldn't)

Blog Entries
    I have been looking into a off lease server as my next desktop.

EBay has dual cpu 10 cores with tons of RAM on the cheap.

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    Some servers can get quite noisy, I'd be careful on that front