Thread: What IoT devices do you use? How about Smartwatches?

Blog Entries

What IoT devices do you use? How about Smartwatches?

I do have a couple of IoT devices as in smart AC thermostats (Honeywell), smart sprinkler control (RainMachine), connected camera (Samsung), that's about it.
    I like the smart thermostats and sprinkler control with weather updates, I find them very useful and even money-savers. I don't use the camera much, but I know it's there and a decent security feature. I don't see the need for others, like light controls, etc.

I've been staying away from the whole smartwatch craze until now... I don't wear a watch regularly, the "smart" functions seemed just redundant/useless/battery hogs to me, and I was waiting for the market to mature. I just backed a stainless steel analog/smartwatch hybrid watch on Kickstarter for $120: ZeTime by MyKronoz Switzerland. Seems great for the price, good design and with 30-day analog mode battery life, touchscreen, etc.

What do you guys think, do you use any IoT/connected devices other than your phone? Which ones, if any do you find useful?
    Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits).
    ๑۩۞۩๑

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post

What do you guys think, do you use any IoT/connected devices other than your phone? Which ones, if any do you find useful?

What phone?

Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    What phone?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chair.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	1273
    People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    What phone?

Hey Humby

Radioshack has 80% off on a lot of their products, go an ask for one of those corded phones before they become collectibles! I can't remember the last time I saw a rotary phone :/..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDoctor View Post

Name:	chair.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	1273
    I thought you were on the submissive end of the relationship ?

I thought you were on the submissive end of the relationship ?

Name:	download (3).jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	1274

Rule 34 applies.
    People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Closest thing I have to an IoT device is a wifi printer.

Blog Entries
    Those printers are only usable if they have a screen to configure imho.. or maybe I just hate WPS, I don't know.

Those printers are only usable if they have a screen to configure imho.. or maybe I just hate WPS, I don't know.
    Ya, I didn't bother with WPS, configured it manually.

I have a couple of Raspberry Pi Single Board Computers on the go but none are setup as an IoT devices. Not yet anyway. At some point I may go down that road. Windows 10 IoT just doesn't cut it for me. I don't have the skills to use it. I've never done anything in Visual Studio. Steep learning curve for me.

No smart TV's or smart phones here. Just dumb old me. =)
    I don't know the same things you don't know.

maybe my new 2016 chevy truck with it's wifi and onstar and the "my chevy" app on smart phone, not sure if that is the kinda thing you are talking about ?

Blog Entries
    Exactly Mark, many companies seem to be racing to introduce some smart/connected devices and hook them up to the internet, usually eroding a little bit of your privacy in the process.

I was at one time wanting to send some temp humidity etc reading from my Raspberry Pi's Sense Hat to my PC's. For the most part they want you to send your DATA to the cloud, through their web site, to create a Dash Board to view the DATA over the Internet on your PC. No easy way to just send it over my LAN. Not with the skills I already have anyway. This means setting up an account with said website.

Blog Entries
    I am not that paranoid about small companies that use a web service to proxy requests for your convenience. I am more concerned with big data and machine learning, the security of it all...

I will list a couple of examples below, even if it's moving away from the scope of the initial thread.

Big companies now have a lot of info on you, and use machine learning algorithms to not only to display relevant advertising, but also to decide who you are, for example:
    When you stop at a gas station, if you pay at the pump vs. inside you are more likely to pay off your loan on time. The assumption is that if you go inside to pay, you are more likely to be a smoker, and that group of people is more closely associated with lower credit rating and higher risk of defaulting on mortgages. Likewise if you visit bars vs bookstores, etc. Latest I heard is they even make decisions based on whether you use proper punctuation in your texts, lol.
    This introduces all kinds of new types of bias and class separation, in addition to the privacy issues.

A simpler concern would be with securing IoT devices, such as smart front door locks, garage doors, cameras, smart appliances, AC thermostats, etc. that are connected and can potentially be hacked (imagine if a hacker with malicious intent has control of all those).

Exactly Mark, many companies seem to be racing to introduce some smart/connected devices and hook them up to the internet, usually eroding a little bit of your privacy in the process.
    i know for a fact that chevy with on-star collects data, they send me monthly updates/Diagnostics on the truck, i bet they sell that data as well LOL

i could probably opt out if i really cared

I'm not to worried about the DATA I would be sending in my example above. It's more the PITA it is to set it all up and get it working. Microsoft has Windows 10 IoT but you need some coding skills to be able to do anything with it. It bears little resemblance to Windows. No GUI, no file explorer, no web explorer, no anything really. You code your own Apps and side load them. And Android of things is similar. We have no smart (IoT) devices here at home. Not yet anyway. I didn't see the need for a smart TV. No kids living at home here. I do YouTube etc on my XBOX. It's all my wife can do to figure out how to use Facebook, lol.

Hey Humby

Radioshack has 80% off on a lot of their products, go an ask for one of those corded phones before they become collectibles! I can't remember the last time I saw a rotary phone :/..
    Aren't you still on a party line??????????????

Blog Entries
    Yeah Ken, if I don't answer my neighbor forgot to hang up...

How's that nurse you were nursing through nursing school ?