Thread: Router Wired/Wireless Advice Needed

Router Wired/Wireless Advice Needed

Hi Folks. I'm looking to upgrade my R600 wired router to something which will allow use of newer QoS controls but I discovered I am horribly out of date on new networking technology.

I want something that:
    1] Can use FQ_Codel/Cake firmwares
    2] Wireless not required though if it has it eh bonus.
    3] Is semi future proof for at least 5 years.

My main issue is I am currently stuck using a Hitron 2250 as a modem and all the problems that carries. The R600 allows for me to bypass the worst of the jitters but is incapable of handling 180Mbps.

Do I really need to go the route of something like a Netgear R7800? Is wired routing now really delegated to business solutions only? Would I be better off going with a modem replacement and just bridge/passthough the hitron?

Sorry for so many questions but after taking one brief gander though newegg.ca and seeing no less than 10 new terms I figured I'd better get more informed help before potentially dropping down several hundred dollars on something I may or may not need. Thank you in advance for any advice or help you can offer.

Blog Entries
    The "Merlin firmware" for Asus routers like the RT-AC68U supports codel/fq_codel under QoS. The routers have solid, more than adequate hardware, 802.11ac WiFi, and many features. The custom "Merlin" firmware is based on the stock firmware with added features, making it even better supported than dd-wrt/openwrt currently imho.

Most wireless routers have 4-port switch (gigabit in newer models), so you can use them as a wired router, and even add another switch if need be. I don't see the need for a second modem, a solid wireless router would be the way to go imho.

Will look into that one. The network kid down the street tried to sell me on a Ubiquiti ERlite3 but that looks a bit to far into professional grade for what I need.

Thank you for the advice

Blog Entries
    Ubiquiti makes great hardware, just that their software is proprietary, you won't be able to anything that the unit wasn't designed to do. You'd get more bells and whistles with a consumer-grade router.

Best of luck with it