Thread: TP-LINK or D-Link?

TP-LINK or D-Link?

hi guys im new here , im going to buy a new adsl modem/router since my old one died and i guess this is where the pros are so help me choose xD
    (currently using an old fossilized TD 8811)

im going to buy one of these :

TP-LINK TD-W8961N 300Mbps Wireless N ADSL2+

or

D-Link DSL-2740U Wireless N300 ADSL2+

i would go for something else but unfortunately my budget is low and anything else is hard to find were i live and isp's here sometimes have problems with other brands
    only thing i care about is online gaming and ping
    (i myself will be playing via ethernet cable and pc but need the wifi for phone and laptop)

my line has a little noise so i want something that can work under that condition and be stable

also i need something stable while someone else is downloading via wifi
    (im not sure how qos works but i thinks thats what i need and both these modems have it so should be fine right?)

the other thing i really need is to have access to my external hdd via wifi i have a HDD usb external drive and i want to have access to it from my laptop and phone
    (Seagate Backup Plus Slim)

ps: can u use DD WRT with these ?
    thank you in advance

Blog Entries
    Seems you are looking for an ADSL modem/router. I don't think you can use dd-wrt with modems.

I haven't used either model, so I can't personally attest as to how well they react to line noise, I would look into the ratings on the main site. Seems both support the same standards, the TP-Link is 2-3 years newer model than the D-Link, that is significant in "router years". It also has a bit higher WiFi transmit power, I'd probably pick that if I have to choose between those two models.

As to your external USB hdd... I don't think either of those modems has an USB port to connect it. If it doesn't have an ethernet/Cat5 port to connect it directly to the network, you may have to connect it to a different device/computer.

One other thing to mention, most DSL modems can be bridged thus making the modem/router a modem only in which you could install a external main host router, like one of D-Links DIR series routers with good QoS features that would help you in gaming.

Another suggestion if you were to use just the modem/router unit, you could disable the on board wifi radio and install a external wireless AP or router that has been configured for AP mode thus giving you better wifi features while still maintaining the DSL modem/router combo for your needs. I currently use a DGL series router with a AC class wifi AP connected to it. Think of it as a wifi upgrade from 300Mb to 1300Mb.

I recommend that you have your ISP check the cabling going to the ISP modem, check signal levels going to the ISP modem. For DSL or Fiber service lines, ensure that the ISP is using good working phone or cable lines to the DSL modem and that the phone lines are filtered correctly. I recommend having the ISP service physically check the lines going from the out side to the ISP modem. Connecting to the ISP modem could result in a false positive as the signal to the modem could be just enough to that point then adding on a router, could see problems. The router operation is dependent upon getting good data flow from the ISP modem and the modem is dependent upon getting good signal from the ISP Service.

Blog Entries
    All good points