Thread: Almond oil disaster

Almond oil disaster

Hi all, idk if anyone remembers me, i used to post ages ago. Also sorry if this is the wrong forum.

Basically... i have a year old laptop, and i was rearranging things on my desk, and i set a 4 oz bottle of almond oil on the keyboard. Yess, i know on the scale of dumb to DUMB that was D.U.M.B.. i was literally coming back in 2 mins to put everything back on the desk after i wiped it. Then the phone rang, the dog barked, i checked instagram... 12 hrs later i went to move stuff back, and the bottle had tipped over and the ENTIRE contents poured into my keyboard. I mean there was barely anything to wipe up on top, it was all in the computer. I wiped the top, picked up the laptop, keeping it level, and there was a ton of oil underneath that i guess dripped straight through. I wiped all that up. It was on but sleeping, so i woke it up. It works fine, a few of the letter keys have to be pushed a little harder than usual, but other than that im not seeing any effects.

Obvious question: what now? Do i need to take it to a repair shop & have them clean it out? I'd like to avoid that if possible, but i will if i hzve to. Do i run it a lot to keep it warm & "dry" the oil out? Do something else i havent thought of?

Any advice appreciated.
    There is security in fearlessness.

Blog Entries
    Hi 9mm, nice to see you around, even if it is under such slippery situation

I would open the laptop and carefully clean any oil residue with dry cloth, you can even use some rubbing alcohol/q-tips. It should be easier to clean before it dries up and creates a sticky/dust-collecting mess in there. Opening it depends on your model, but the keyboards are usually held by a single screw on the bottom, and a flat cable once you lift it up, shouldn't be too hard. I would watch some Youtube video for disassembling your particular model. You don't have to take out everything, but removing the keyboard/opening the case shouldn't be too hard. I'd probably wash my keyboard with soapy water before I leave oil in there and sticky keys, but that's just me and can render it useless. Laptop keyboards can be replaced easy usually, it's the rest of the electronics that can really get damaged by a short caused by liquids inside. Just make sure it is dry before you turn it on so that it doesn't short something on the motherboard.

Quote Originally Posted by 9mmprincess View Post
    Hi all, idk if anyone remembers me, i used to post ages ago. Also sorry if this is the wrong forum.

Basically... i have a year old laptop, and i was rearranging things on my desk, and i set a 4 oz bottle of almond oil on the keyboard. Yess, i know on the scale of dumb to DUMB that was D.U.M.B.. i was literally coming back in 2 mins to put everything back on the desk after i wiped it. Then the phone rang, the dog barked, i checked instagram... 12 hrs later i went to move stuff back, and the bottle had tipped over and the ENTIRE contents poured into my keyboard. I mean there was barely anything to wipe up on top, it was all in the computer. I wiped the top, picked up the laptop, keeping it level, and there was a ton of oil underneath that i guess dripped straight through. I wiped all that up. It was on but sleeping, so i woke it up. It works fine, a few of the letter keys have to be pushed a little harder than usual, but other than that im not seeing any effects.

Obvious question: what now? Do i need to take it to a repair shop & have them clean it out? I'd like to avoid that if possible, but i will if i hzve to. Do i run it a lot to keep it warm & "dry" the oil out? Do something else i havent thought of?

Any advice appreciated.
    Hey, good to see you again.
    I'd bet money you don't make THAT mistake again.

Everything Philip said. Some Youtube videos are quite good, others not so good.
    I'd try his advice, carefully, and if you're not sure research some more and be gentle. Breaking things is not good.
    The fact it works now is a good sign and oil is not conductive the way water is, which is good.
    But oil doesn't just "dry" the way water might, it leaves a nasty residue.
    I don't know if rubbing alcohol might help. It could break down the oil and help remove moisture from the water.
    Not recommending it without research, on the chance it dissolves some kind of important conducting material also.
    But the longer the oil is there and dries up the nastier and more dust-magnety it's going to get.

Hi sweetheart!!!

I had many oil spills on laptops in the past. I switched to hand lotion a few years ago and spillage has all been eliminated.

Oh wait....... just do what Philip said.
    Last edited by MadDoctor; 01-20-17 at 09:56 AM.
    People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Blog Entries

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche