Thread: How to troubleshoot an annoying peer to peer connection problem?

How to troubleshoot an annoying peer to peer connection problem?

I play a game called vindictus where a player acts as the host and other players connect to him. So your connection quality ingame is dependant on how good the host's upload is and how far away he is from you. everyone on the server is in Australia, and as a result almost everyone gets perfect connection to each other unless they have ISP issues or whatever. Connection quality is shown ingame rated as 1-5 bars, and the norm is 5 bars (no lag).

The issue I am having is that I get extremely bad connection quality (1 bar) to most the players in the game. For example, if there are 7 people connected to the host, I am usually the only one with 1 bar for no clear reason. The place i am staying at has business internet and the speed is usually at least 15 mbps up/down and is pretty fast for web browsing, videos, etc, I do get any random disconnections or pages failing to load. I am connected via an ethernet cable but do not have access to the router so I cannot reset it on demand/check the settings, etc. I do not have a firewall running. The weird thing is, I do not get 1 bar to everyone, just most people, and the issue can sometimes be resolved by reconnecting to the host (most of the time though, it does not work).

I am not 100% sure of how the game's network system is handled, but the fact that the host's distance/upload matters a lot leads me to believe it is peer to peer of some kind. If I go into windows resource monitor and look at the active network connections for the game, it never shows me the host's IP address, but it does give me several IP addresses that appear to be in western USA which is where I believe the game's servers are. I cannot ping the IP addresses listed in resource monitor, they always give 100% time outs, and nobody else can ping them either. Someone told me that they might be proxy servers to prevent the real servers from being easily DDosed.

Examples of the IP addresses that I have seen in resource monitor : 8.31.97.151-8.31.97.154. Packet loss in resource monitor is always 0 and ping is usually 200-400 ms.

The fact that the host's IP address is not visible in resource monitor leads me to believe that traffic is routed via the game server first before it reaches the host. But the fact that I am one of the few players experiencing this suggests that the problem isnt on the game server's end.

Does anyone have any idea on how to begin trouble shooting a peer to peer issue like this? Ive tried asking on several tech forums, but nobody appears to have the slightest clue about peer to peer connections other than "update your drivers". The game's tech support is of no help either and is only giving me copy pasted advice like "update your video card drivers". I have already used TCP optimizer and set it to optimal settings, including disabling nagling.

Is there any program that can look at an active internet connection and tell me if there is active packet loss or anything that is affecting the connection?

Blog Entries
    I am not sure how that particular game is setup, however, the central game servers can be used for some information/game setup, and then peer-to-peer networking during the game.

In either case, your ISP has particular backbones that they use, and others on your network may have different ISPs with backbones from a different company. Those backbone providers then have some type of peering arrangement/interconnects, and those have different priorities and congestion levels as well. You can probably get a better picture by using traceroute instead of ping, as it will show you the latency to each hop on the way to your game server, that way you can see exactly where the lag/delay occurs along the way, even if the destination is not pingable.

Thanks for the help. Where do you think the problem could be though? I mean, if its with the route to the game server, then i should be having problems with every player but im not.

I tried to do some tracerts to some player IPs but im not sure if these show any problems. They all seem to end up in request timed out somewhere along the line, but a friend of mine told me that it could be because modern routers have DDOS protection that prevents tracerts from getting any results from them.

Any idea on how to check if there is a routing issue if traceroutes are inaccurate?

Blog Entries
    When doing a traceroute, if you see a hop that does not return ANY results (only * * * from the 3 pings), it simply means that this particular hop does not respond to ICMP pings at that time.
    If, on the other hand, a hop only shows some responses ( 20ms 20ms *), that indicates some packet loss. If one node repeatedly drops some requests it is either overloaded (dropping some ICMP requests because of congestion), or there is some other issue with packet loss.

You can usually use the other hops in the path to determine whether the increase in latency is before or after a node that does not respond do pings at all. You should be looking at where the latency increases noticeably, if it is close to you (first couple of hops) there is something near your location that your ISP can possibly address.

I dont see any latency increases, just hops with no reuslts at all (probably not responding to ICMP pings). ISP so far is clueless, and is only suggesting stuff like telnet to see if i can connect to the IPs. Any other troubleshooting steps you can suggest to see where the problem is? Like whether its a routing issue or something else?

Blog Entries
    Well, in your original post you mention that your pings are "usually 200-400 ms", this is pretty bad for online gaming in general.

If you can't reach the game servers and can't get a meaningful trace, try something in the same geographic location/same network center or ISP as the game servers. I would also check the amount of bandwidth the game consumes, since it is a MMORPG. If you are close to your allocated bandwidth limit, the latency can increase. With MMORPGs, it is also possible for the latency/bandwidth demands to increase if you enter an area with a lot of activity/other players where each players' location has to be communicated.

Oh, the game server is in the US, but the host is in australia, where i am. The game is setup so that the location of the host is the most important, even if the game server is in the US, as long as the host is in your country, you shouldnt be having any problems. Most australian players are not having any problems, only me and a few others.

The game consumes very little bandwith if you are not the host, and i have very high speeds at any rate as the place i am staying at uses business class internet, not normal residential internet. Speedtest usually reports 30+ mbps up/down. The game uses instanced dungeons with a max of 8 players, so activity isn't an issue.

So as far as i know, this is how it works :

player -> game server -> host (which is another player acting as host)

I get terrible lag to some players, which can SOMETIMES be fixed by rejoining. I am usually the only one with this problem. Both the host and I have good PCs and good connections which should have no problem with the game.

If the player is with the host, then all other players would get lag, which is not the case. If the problem is with me, I would get lag to all hosts, which is not the case. If the problem is with the game server, then everyone should be getting affected.

So where is the problem exactly? With my limited knowledge, I can only guess that my routing to the players are bad somehow.

So how do i find out where the problem is exactly? Nobody seems to know how to troubleshoot it. The game support's latest advice is to run disk defragment. My ISP is telling me to test using telnet, which is not possible as these arent telnet servers. Every tech support forum ive tried has basically no clue. I have experimented with the settings in tcpoptimizer, even setting them back to windows default, but i see no change.

Is there any way for me to monitor an active network connection and see if it is having any problems? Because that would make things a lot easier.. Netstat does not show me much unfortunately.

The only bit of info that i have managed to figure out is that the traffic when connected to a host is routed through 8.31.97.150-8.31.97.154 (the IP is random and changes) using TCP port 27005 (according to windows resource monitor).

I have tried using traceTCP.exe (like traceroute, but using TCP, its something you can download), but i am not sure how i am supposed to trace the route if it is routed through the game server. I can only trace to the game server or the host IP, not through the game server to the host IP, and i cant tell if the traceroute would be accurate because, for example, the game server might be setup to not respond to TCP requests unless its through the game itself.

Here is the TCP traceroute to the game server :

Tracing route to 8.31.97.154 on port 27005
    Over a maximum of 30 hops.
    1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms REMOVED
    2 2 ms 1 ms 1 ms 119.17.50.149 [149-50-17-119.static.broadbands
    olutions.com.au]
    3 3 ms 19 ms 2 ms 119.17.50.145 [145-50-17-119.static.broadbands
    olutions.com.au]
    4 4 ms 5 ms 21 ms 114.31.200.9 [bundle-2000-425.bdr04.syd03.nsw
    .vocus.net.au]
    5 173 ms 167 ms 167 ms 114.31.192.46 [bundle-101.cor01.syd04.nsw.vocu
    s.net.au]
    6 170 ms 175 ms 158 ms 114.31.199.46 [ten-0-1-0-3-7.cor01.sjc01.ca.vo
    cus.net]
    7 163 ms 158 ms 177 ms 49.255.255.19 [bundle-100.bdr01.sjc01.ca.vocus
    .net]
    8 160 ms 161 ms 159 ms 67.92.171.25 [ip67-92-171-25.z171-92-67.custo
    mer.algx.net]
    9 171 ms 173 ms 161 ms 207.88.13.224 [207.88.13.224.ptr.us.xo.net]
    10 160 ms 162 ms 166 ms 207.88.13.229 [207.88.13.229.ptr.us.xo.net]
    11 184 ms 183 ms 330 ms 4.71.112.77 [te-8-1.car3.sanjose1.level3.net
    ]
    12 200 ms 200 ms 203 ms 4.69.148.126 [ae-0-11.bar2.lasvegas1.level3.n
    et]
    13 199 ms 199 ms 205 ms 205.129.18.22 [nexon-ameri.bar2.lasvegas1.leve
    l3.net]
    14 * * * Request timed out.
    15 * * * Request timed out.
    16 209 ms 200 ms 201 ms 208.85.110.204
    17 Destination Reached in 207 ms. Connection established to 8.31.97.154
    Trace Complete.

Im not sure what is going on here. Why are hops 14 and 15 timing out? If they are timing out, how is the connection being established in the end? Is there anything i can do to make 14-15 and go straight to the destination, if they are not working? Is it like the ICMP thing where they don't respond to ICMP requests but everything is actually fine?

And this is a direct tcp traceroute to the host IP (my friend) :

Tracing route to REMOVED on port 27005
    1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms REMOVED
    olutions.com.au]
    3 18 ms 4 ms 20 ms 119.17.50.145 [145-50-17-119.static.broadbands
    olutions.com.au]
    4 6 ms 5 ms 30 ms 218.100.52.21 [as9443.nsw.ix.asn.au]
    5 25 ms 4 ms 8 ms 203.134.2.233 [ae4.csr01.masceqx.nsw.m2core.ne
    t.au]
    6 18 ms 3 ms 15 ms 203.134.2.106 [ae1.per01.masceqx.nsw.m2core.ne
    t.au]
    7 4 ms 3 ms 8 ms 203.134.75.231 [231.330.dsl.syd.iprimus.net.au]

8 * * * Request timed out.
    9 * * * Request timed out.
    10 * * * Request timed out.
    11 * * * Request timed out.
    12 * * * Request timed out.
    13 * * * Request timed out.
    16 * * * Request timed out.
    17 * * * Request timed out.
    18 * * * Request timed out.
    19 * * * Request timed out.
    20 * * * Request timed out.
    21 * * * Request timed out.
    22 * * * Request timed out.
    23 * * * Request timed out.
    24 * * * Request timed out.
    25 * * * Request timed out.
    26 * * * Request timed out.
    27 * * * Request timed out.
    28 * * * Request timed out.
    29 * * * Request timed out.
    30 * * * Request timed out.
    Trace Complete.

Im guessing the request timed out is happening because the traceroute isnt going through the game, which would ask the ports to be opened.

The other idea ive had is that port forwarding might be somehow responsible for this...but people in a tech support channel told me that port forwarding is typically unnecessary, because the application would request the ports to be open automatically, and no players for this game have had to do manual port forwarding. At any rate, i do not have access to the router, as i am basically a resident in a boarding house kind of place. I tried using some of those programs that claim to be able to do port forwarding via upnp, but they all fail to detect my router for some reason.

Do you have a irc channel or something like that where we can discuss this in realtime?

Blog Entries
    There is a lot to that post, I will try to adress what I can.

So as far as i know, this is how it works :

player -> game server -> host (which is another player acting as host)
    Keep in mind that a game can have multiple connections, i.e. you can have one low-bandwidth connection for chat, control, etc. to the game server, and another real-time, more bandwidth-intensive connection directly to the game host in your country.

If the player is with the host, then all other players would get lag, which is not the case. If the problem is with me, I would get lag to all hosts, which is not the case. If the problem is with the game server, then everyone should be getting affected.
    You can probably ignore the connection to the game server, if you are connecting directly to a host. However, the game indicated lag could be to either the game server, or the host, I wouldn't know.
    Once you send out packets onto the internet, each one is like a separate piece of mail. It has a sender's IP address, a destination IP, but routers on the way can decide how to route it. Packets to different destination IPs travel over different paths, so they will have different latencies. Even two packets to the same destination can travel over different paths. Latency varies with time/congestion at the time/etc.

So where is the problem exactly? With my limited knowledge, I can only guess that my routing to the players are bad somehow.
    So how do i find out where the problem is exactly? Nobody seems to know how to troubleshoot it. The game support's latest advice is to run disk defragment. My ISP is telling me to test using telnet, which is not possible as these arent telnet servers. Every tech support forum ive tried has basically no clue. I have experimented with the settings in tcpoptimizer, even setting them back to windows default, but i see no change.
    You are taking the right steps in doing traceroutes. You should understand what they mean better. Telnet can be directed to a certain port and show whether there is connectivity to some IP, however it will not display latency/other issues. Defragment will not do anything. The TCP Optimizer will only work on your PC, it can't fix the line. You have to keep in mind that it can be a complicated issue where many things play a role and can interact with each other:

1. Your internet connection - other people in your building, how they use it at the time and how it affects the routers in your location.
    2. Problems on the line beyond your location
    3. Your PC - a game can stress your system resources, and your network card/CPU/other hardware can be struggling.
    4. The destination server - their internet connection (especially available upstream bandwidth), or router/system hardware can be getting overloaded at times.

All this could be intermittent, so that it makes in even harder to pinpoint.

Is there any way for me to monitor an active network connection and see if it is having any problems? Because that would make things a lot easier.. Netstat does not show me much unfortunately.
    There are tools out there that can ping a host over time, like "pingplotter free", etc.

The only bit of info that i have managed to figure out is that the traffic when connected to a host is routed through 8.31.97.150-8.31.97.154 (the IP is random and changes) using TCP port 27005 (according to windows resource monitor).

I have tried using traceTCP.exe (like traceroute, but using TCP, its something you can download), but i am not sure how i am supposed to trace the route if it is routed through the game server. I can only trace to the game server or the host IP, not through the game server to the host IP, and i cant tell if the traceroute would be accurate because, for example, the game server might be setup to not respond to TCP requests unless its through the game itself.

Here is the TCP traceroute to the game server :

Tracing route to 8.31.97.154 on port 27005
    1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms REMOVED
    olutions.com.au]
    3 3 ms 19 ms 2 ms 119.17.50.145 [145-50-17-119.static.broadbands
    olutions.com.au]
    4 4 ms 5 ms 21 ms 114.31.200.9 [bundle-2000-425.bdr04.syd03.nsw
    .vocus.net.au]
    5 173 ms 167 ms 167 ms 114.31.192.46 [bundle-101.cor01.syd04.nsw.vocu
    s.net.au]
    6 170 ms 175 ms 158 ms 114.31.199.46 [ten-0-1-0-3-7.cor01.sjc01.ca.vo
    cus.net]
    7 163 ms 158 ms 177 ms 49.255.255.19 [bundle-100.bdr01.sjc01.ca.vocus
    .net]
    8 160 ms 161 ms 159 ms 67.92.171.25 [ip67-92-171-25.z171-92-67.custo
    mer.algx.net]
    9 171 ms 173 ms 161 ms 207.88.13.224 [207.88.13.224.ptr.us.xo.net]
    10 160 ms 162 ms 166 ms 207.88.13.229 [207.88.13.229.ptr.us.xo.net]
    11 184 ms 183 ms 330 ms 4.71.112.77 [te-8-1.car3.sanjose1.level3.net
    ]
    12 200 ms 200 ms 203 ms 4.69.148.126 [ae-0-11.bar2.lasvegas1.level3.n
    et]
    13 199 ms 199 ms 205 ms 205.129.18.22 [nexon-ameri.bar2.lasvegas1.leve
    l3.net]
    16 209 ms 200 ms 201 ms 208.85.110.204
    17 Destination Reached in 207 ms. Connection established to 8.31.97.154
    Trace Complete.

Im not sure what is going on here. Why are hops 14 and 15 timing out? If they are timing out, how is the connection being established in the end? Is there anything i can do to make 14-15 and go straight to the destination, if they are not working? Is it like the ICMP thing where they don't respond to ICMP requests but everything is actually fine?
    This trace looks somewhat ok, but, there is a big latency increase between hops 4 and 5. The hosts that do not respond to ICMP pings (* * * Request timed out) simply do not respond to pings, either ICMP is blocked, or given low priority, you shouldn't worry about them.

And this is a direct tcp traceroute to the host IP (my friend) :

Tracing route to REMOVED on port 27005
    1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms REMOVED
    olutions.com.au]
    3 18 ms 4 ms 20 ms 119.17.50.145 [145-50-17-119.static.broadbands
    olutions.com.au]
    4 6 ms 5 ms 30 ms 218.100.52.21 [as9443.nsw.ix.asn.au]
    5 25 ms 4 ms 8 ms 203.134.2.233 [ae4.csr01.masceqx.nsw.m2core.ne
    t.au]
    6 18 ms 3 ms 15 ms 203.134.2.106 [ae1.per01.masceqx.nsw.m2core.ne
    t.au]
    7 4 ms 3 ms 8 ms 203.134.75.231 [231.330.dsl.syd.iprimus.net.au]

8 * * * Request timed out.
    9 * * * Request timed out.
    10 * * * Request timed out.
    11 * * * Request timed out.
    12 * * * Request timed out.
    13 * * * Request timed out.
    16 * * * Request timed out.
    17 * * * Request timed out.
    18 * * * Request timed out.
    19 * * * Request timed out.
    20 * * * Request timed out.
    21 * * * Request timed out.
    22 * * * Request timed out.
    23 * * * Request timed out.
    24 * * * Request timed out.
    25 * * * Request timed out.
    26 * * * Request timed out.
    27 * * * Request timed out.
    28 * * * Request timed out.
    29 * * * Request timed out.
    30 * * * Request timed out.
    Trace Complete.

Im guessing the request timed out is happening because the traceroute isnt going through the game, which would ask the ports to be opened.
    This trace looks fine, low latency connection. Keep in mind it that changes over time, look for a difference at the time when you are experiencing the issues.

The other idea ive had is that port forwarding might be somehow responsible for this...but people in a tech support channel told me that port forwarding is typically unnecessary, because the application would request the ports to be open automatically, and no players for this game have had to do manual port forwarding. At any rate, i do not have access to the router, as i am basically a resident in a boarding house kind of place. I tried using some of those programs that claim to be able to do port forwarding via upnp, but they all fail to detect my router for some reason.

Do you have a irc channel or something like that where we can discuss this in realtime?
    Port forwarding will only help if you are not able to establish a connection with the server/host. Since you are already connecting fine, I wouldn't worry about it.

I would suggest that you do a trace to the game host when you are experiencing issues, to see where the latency is jumping into high numbers. That will only provide you with information, not a direct solution, but it's a necessary step. Oh, and we use the forums (rather than IRC, etc.) to answer questions so others can possibly benefit from the information

Generally you are right to do traces to the game host and look for problems there. You are also right in the assumption that your internet connection/network/system is the likely culprit if you are the only one having issues (given a large enough sample, and not just anecdotal evidence).

Hi Phillip :

The issue is not lag spikes, but persistent lag that is determined when connecting to the host or when the host starts a battle.

To clarify again, this is what happens :

1. Host creates a battle
    2. Players join and are placed in a lobby like area, they are connected to the host at this point
    3. When i connect to the host, my connection is often rated as 1 out of 5 bars and i get extreme lag (everyone else gets 5 bars typically)
    4. When the host starts the battle itself (which requires loading the map), if i had 1 bar in the lobby, it often remains at 1 bar and i get permanent lag for the rest of the battle

This is very different from lag spikes during the game itself. My connection quality is (for whatever reason) determined when i join the lobby and it stays the same when the battle starts.. It never changes mid-battle itself.

To reiterate, 1 bar = extreme lag, 5 bars = no lag.

On rare occasions, my connection quality will change when the battle starts. I have seen the following two situations happen (both are very rare)

1. Lobby shows that I have 1 bar, host starts the battle, my connection changes to 5 bars once the battle starts.

2. Lobby shows that I have 5 bars, host starts the battle, my connection changes to 1 bar once the battle starts.

Note that when i say "battle starts" that means after the map has loaded, it is not dependant on activity. The game uses very little traffic if you are not the host (according to net limiter). My ping is not "spiking" during the game or anything like that, there are basically two times where my connection quality is determined to be good or bad and then it stays that way for the entire battle.

It is not isolated to a certain time period...so it is probably not congestion or anything like that. The only common factor that i can pinpoint is that i get very bad connection when connecting to certain players (like the traceroute i showed you earlier).

The traceroutes were done with TCP, not ICMP by the way. Because the game uses TCP connections. I tried to do regular traceroutes, but certain hops dont respond to ICMP requests so i cannot tell if they are working properly. The traceroute was done at a time when i was having problems (which is, pretty much all the time).

I cannot be sure if i am connecting fine...the fact that i am connecting at one bar could mean that a "backup route" was used instead of the normal route to the host, or some such.

I have already done a traceroute to the game host (its the second traceroute i posted), there is no jump in latency numbers.

If possible, it would be great if we could discuss this further on skype/IRC or somewhere in realtime as I think we are running into a lot of misunderstandings via the forum.

A friend of mine suggested using something like wired shark to see if there are any problems with the TCP connection, do you have any idea if this will help? I have tried looking at the program, but its not very user friendly...

Blog Entries
    There doesn't seem to be any obvious issue with your connection in general. It is hard to tell what that particular game considers 1 bar vs 5 bars... maybe it is a snapshot of your connection at that time, maybe it considers the connection between you and all others in that instance, etc.

In either case, it would be a guessing game, and I doubt it is on your end of the connection. The only thing you can do, short of changing ISPs, is to make sure your computer/network adapter are properly set for optimum performance, since this is the only hardware in your control.

Alright I think i have found some leads for this.

While checking a wireshark capture, I noticed that I was getting a port unreachable error when trying to connect to my friend who was hosting. After a lot of trouble shooting, I stumbled onto a solution for this particular case.

1. We both have a single layer NAT.

2. My friend (Friend A) has windows firewall, but turning it off did not help.

3. I can connect to my friend fine if he turns on DMZ mode, which would again imply a port issue. But it does not explain why nobody else has issues connecting to him if his ports are supposedly blocked.

4. My friend ran a upnp test utility : http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...PnP-Test.shtml. It said that SSDP/upnp host services were not set to running/automatic. After fixing that, I was able to connect to him without him needing to use DMZ mode.

5. Friend B has no NAT, has windows firewall, but I cannot connect to him properly either...nobody else has any issues connecting to him.

6. Friend C has a similar issue where he was suddenly unable to connect to any hosts properly, and if he hosts, no player can connect to him properly. This was temporarily solved by port forwarding, but suddenly stopped working a few days later. Friend C's brother also plays the game, and I was able to help him fix it for his machine by enabling upnp services on his machine, but Friend C still has connection issues after enabling upnp services on his machine.

7. It took a while, but I was able to figure out that the game uses direct UDP connections from the player to the host. If the connection cannot be established, the traffic is rerouted through the US game server which would explain why i can connect, but i get terrible lag (because the traffic is being rerouted through the US before going back to Australia, where both of us are)

Question One : Why does my friend need to enable upnp on his machine to let me connect to him, when nobody else in the game needs him to do that? I have the same problem with several other hosts. How are people managing to connect to my friend if he has no port forwarding and does not have upnp enabled? All of them should be getting port unreachable errors as well since he is behind a NAT and the router wont know where to forward the packets without port forwarding/upnp.

Question two : Why do i have issues connecting to Friend B when he does not have NAT?

Question three : Friend C enabled upnp on his machine, but cannot connect to anyone properly, and vice-versa. His brother with the same net on a different machine can after enabling upnp. No hardware/software/etc changes were made, he simply lost the ability to connect to people properly via UDP. Why?

Blog Entries
    I am glad you were able to narrow down the issue. All your questions seem to be related to port forwarding...

1) Your router may be more restrictive in which ports it allows, i.e. outgoing traffic on standard ports may be disallowed (80, 443, etc.) to avoid hosting servers, etc. Enabling upnp may be able to bypass these restrictions by opening some non-standard ports.

2) Again, some standard server ports may be blocked by your router/ISP policy.

3) It is probably some type of local security policy/issue like firewall software (some need to be shut down completely because of bugs) - he has the reverse of your issue, standard ports are going through, but not upnp ports.

For reference, many games use ports 27000-27050 for p2p connections, I am not sure about Vindictus, but I would try to find what ports it uses with both upnp enabled and disabled.

I wrote up a long post to explain, but then i lost power and the forum didnt save it.

To summarize, i think you are getting confused. Im not doing anything to my router. Im not the one enabling upnp.

Im going to focus on the issue with Friend A first.

1. I have issues connecting to Friend A, which is done with a UDP connection using a randomized port in the 50-60k range.

2. Nobody else has this problem.

3. Friend A tried turning off windows firewall, did not help.

4. Friend A enabled upnp on his machine, this worked for 2 days then i could not connect to him properly anymore.

5. The only 100% consistent method I have found is for Friend A to turn on DMZ mode.

The only thing that might have changed to cause upnp to stop working (as far as we both know) is that after the 2 days, i had to relogin to my internet account and i was assigned a different internal IP. Would this cause upnp on HIS end to stop working?

Okay so lets try troubleshooting from the DMZ mode part.

1. DMZ mode fixes certain issues. What are these issues? (A list woud be great)

2. Of those issues, what would allow only certain people to connect to the router, but not others? E.G. If the sender's router doesn't support certain technologies, is it possible that they will have trouble connecting to the destination's router? Something like that?

That might help narrow it down. Any ideas based on that?

Pastebin of tracert to Friend A, there doesnt appear to be any issues : http://pastebin.com/yb6sEpmE

Blog Entries
    I realize you are not doing anything to your router. However, there are firewalls (on your end) that can prevent your outgoing packets from connecting to certain destination ports, regardless of the source port.

As to what could be happening at the destination.. Putting a server in DMZ is essentially like 1:1 NAT (a mode that maps one internal IP to one external IP address, similarly to forwarding all ports). The issues being fixed are opening all necessary ports, not only a pinhole. The game is likely using multiple ports for communication at the same time (especially when hosting a server): to each client, to the official servers, etc.

There are also certain protocols (like FTP, for example) that use more than one port at the same time and have trouble with double-NATs.. but I doubt that is the issue.