Thread: Strange problem in Windows 7

Advanced Member

Strange problem in Windows 7

Helping someone out who is having a problem. Computer has Win 7 Pro, fairly recent (last 2 years), reload of OS from disk, that I did.

Here's the problem:
    Every so often the laptop will freeze, give the spinning circle and you can't do anything else. After a minute or two, it unfreezes and all is fine.

I was over there early last week and here is what I did to try to solve this:
    Checked for unwanted new programs, updated and scanned with CCleaner, Malwarebytes Antimalware and MSE. Also looked thru all files and folders for junk and completely cleaned out any temp or temp internet file folders. I also tested the hard disk with a Boot Disk Test CD (GWSCAN) as well as having Windows do a scandisk on next bootup. Nothing was found and all should have been clean. In fact, I am like 99% certain this is not a virus or malware running on the laptop causing this. One other thing I did was update Firefox. I thought maybe a recnt update of Firefox introduced some kind of problem (like from a corrupt file or such). Before I left, the laptop seemed to be much better, but 2 days later he said it is doing the same thing.

Any ideas what else this might be?

Just had a similar problem last week when I installed a new GPU. About 1/4 way through boot the computer would appear to lock up, although the spinning dots were still spinning. Plugged monitor into next GPU and saw that the computer had actually finished booting and was just waiting there.
    Prostate Cancer survivor, too late for me with a cure, but maybe I can help save others just like me. Wife brest cancer. Cured.

could be an old hard drive that is having a hard time with windows indexing, kind of a long shot, but maybe some else can confirm ?

you could turn off indexing to see if it helps, just google how

Advanced Member
    I will try to turn off indexing if he has more problems. I was back one time recently and after doing all the other steps, I set his computer to do a scan disk on reboot, hopefully to find an isolate any bad sectors. Have not heard back since that visit on 12/29/16.

Quote Originally Posted by Qui-Gon John View Post
    I will try to turn off indexing if he has more problems. I was back one time recently and after doing all the other steps, I set his computer to do a scan disk on reboot, hopefully to find an isolate any bad sectors. Have not heard back since that visit on 12/29/16.
    This operation is dangerous and can even cause a computer crash