Thread: Could my ADSL stats be better for my distance to the exchange?

Could my ADSL stats be better for my distance to the exchange?

Hi guys new to the forum, so I have a bit of networking experience around my belt but not to clued up about the whole xDSL scene.

I have a 2 megabit line I know I can get about 6.5Meg bit that would be borderline @ 6dB SNR

My distance to the exchange is about 2.7KM if i use the roads on Gmaps.

Here are my line stats:

Honestly Syncing at 2048 @ 10.6dB @ 2.7KM seems rather low, please if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Anyone?

Blog Entries
    You should be able to sync at 6.5 Mbps unless the noise fluctuates a lot.. I would try to bump up the tier and see how it works out. With ADSL2+ and downstream attenuation of 35 dB, the approximate distance is 2.53km and the maximum achievable speed is like 11Mbps. Of course then you have to factor in some type of noise safety margin, but still, 2 Mbps seems too conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    You should be able to sync at 6.5 Mbps unless the noise fluctuates a lot.. I would try to bump up the tier and see how it works out. With ADSL2+ and downstream attenuation of 35 dB, the approximate distance is 2.53km and the maximum achievable speed is like 11Mbps. Of course then you have to factor in some type of noise safety margin, but still, 2 Mbps seems too conservative.
    Hi Philip, I'm actually on a 1Mbps account with a 2Mbps line, internet in South Africa is still quite expensive.

What ticks me off is that the last mile (not literally) of copper is such a high AWG, way too thin in my opinion.

Also how do the output power figures look?

If they could up the output power would that help?

Blog Entries
    Low upstream power (dBmV) is actually good. The higher it is, the louder your modem has to transmit to be heard. Higher downstream power otoh means clearer signal. I wouldn't worry about your power figures. The only thing that can be improved on your end is getting fewer downstream "HEC errors" - those are caused by poor RJ11 cabling, and/or no DSL filters on the line. Even if you can't get them to zero, one should try keeping them at a low number.

Other than that your signal looks ok to me, and as you said your ISP is capping your connection.

I see some crazy pings on my line recently and downstream output dBmV has increased from -1.2 to 3....3 as in +3. Is this bad?

Also what is the threshold for up/down dBmV's eg SNR is 6 min and Attenuation 55 max.

Thanks.
    Last edited by RenesisXI; 11-09-16 at 09:04 AM.

the minimum distance is nearly 3km and the maximum achievable speed is like 11Mbps