Thread: RT-N66U WOL Setup using Tomato Shibby

Fullerton CA, USA or Florianopolis SC, Brazil

RT-N66U WOL Setup using Tomato Shibby

I am attempting to setup one of my PC’s to accept WOL packets and I understand that in order to be able to issue the command from outside my LAN I need to setup my RT-N66U, running Tomato Shibby, so that 192.168.1.254 is a broadcast address by adding these two lines to Administration->Scripts->Firewall. I found the following instructions:
    The solution is to send the magic packet to the broadcast address for your subnet (generally 192.168.1.255) but Tomato won’t allow that, so we work around it by turning 192.168.1.254 into the broadcast address by adding these two lines to Administration->Scripts->Firewall:

1 ip neigh change 192.168.1.254 lladdr ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff nud permanent dev br0
    2 ip neigh add 192.168.1.254 lladdr ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff nud permanent dev br0

Reboot your router. If you secured your router for remote access as suggested earlier, SSH into it and run the following command to see if the output includes your new settings:

1 user@server$ ip neigh show
    2 192.168.1.254 dev br0 lladdr ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff PERMANENT

You’re in business, now go to Port Forwarding and setup a forward for UDP port 9 to internal address 192.168.1.254. Now internet originated magic packets will be broadcast to all devices on your network, but only the machines with the correct MAC address within that packet will respond.
    I followed the instructions but when I ran ip neigh show the results did not show “192.168.1.254 dev br0 lladdr ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff PERMANENT”, the only results showed all the other devices attached to the router.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong, does the RT-N66U need to be setup this way or is there another way to set it up?
    Thank you

Blog Entries
    ip neigh show (ip neighbor show) displays the "neighbor" table, i.e. the ARP cache...
    arp -n <-- this may show the same info in a bit more clear format.

So, in essence, you are trying to add the IP 192.168.1.254 to the ARP table and map it to link layer address ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

I would try:

ip neighbor show 192.168.1.254

It should show you which link layer address that IP is linked to.

Fullerton CA, USA or Florianopolis SC, Brazil
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    ip neigh show (ip neighbor show) displays the "neighbor" table, i.e. the ARP cache...
    arp -n <-- this may show the same info in a bit more clear format.

So, in essence, you are trying to add the IP 192.168.1.254 to the ARP table and map it to link layer address ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

I would try:

ip neighbor show 192.168.1.254

It should show you which link layer address that IP is linked to.
    Thanks, that showed it in the ARP table, now if I could only get the packet to start the PC. If I use the Lan IP address the packet arrives at the PC but if I attempt using the WAN address the packet does not arrive at the PC. I forwarded the correct port to the broadcast address but nothing.

Blog Entries
    I am not sure you need the ARP entry at all... You should be able to just forward UDP port 7 or 9 from the WAN side to the broadcast address on the LAN side, i.e. 192.168.1.255 .

Have you checked to see if the port is actually open ? (we have a port scan on the main site you can use).
    Are you hitting the correct external IP of that router ? (if there is a modem in front of it that acts as a NAT router, the packet may be blocked there)