Thread: Amazon Prime no longer 2 day shipping?

Amazon Prime no longer 2 day shipping?

Past few orders I've made wound up not having the free 2 day shipping as an option on all items. At first I thought it was just me not paying attention, but I have discovered that my process of "filter items by Amazon Prime to see what I can get in 2 days" is now broken, meaning I have to spend time reading about shipping details now in addition to product specs just makes my shopping experience not as good. To be honest, 2 day shipping was the whole reason I signed up years ago. Even though Amazon's front end is just awful compared to other retailers (IMHO of course), their Prime benefits outweighed the clunky interface.

This kinda bums me out as I'm debating unsubbing from Prime. Their free TV/movies benefit means little to me.

Anyone notice this?
    "Today is a black day in the history of mankind."

- Leo Szilard

So is it no longer 2 days for Prime, or just a pain in the ass (ask Ken) to find the Prime deals (guessing the latter)?

I just have my co-manager order stuff for me. He's an Amazon junkie but Prime isn't worth it to me.

If it's a filtering issue I assume they'll get it figured out soon.
    How long has this been going on?

Amazon is a total mystery to me.
    We sell through them, with so many hoops to jump through it's amazing. We've lost a lot of money to customers over the way they do things. For example, the first person to list a given item gives their description (dimensions, product count, oz's, etc). Once they list that, no other seller can change the script if it's flawed. We had people listing 2 and 5 and 12 packs of individual items not sold retail that way, but they listed first and Amazon grabbed the UPC and said that's the way it is.

We buy from them occasionally.
    And we sell to them. Must be delivered within a given window, not before or after. Very specific labeling. They ding us all the time for items not received that we show on video going into the damn boxes and getting shipped.

Oh, and we had a treat line that advertised donating $ to pet cancer research

Long short, bitch to them and it might be addressed eventually.

me neither,I can wait for the free over $35 ground shipping,no prob

Howdy, guys!

Re-read my post, and to clarify my bad wording: many Prime items are still free 2 day, it's just many now are not (yet still labeled as Prime). It makes the most difference at work where I'd really like to get what I need quickly without having to spend more time determining if I'll have it in 2 days or 4-6 weeks. Project completion time is important at work but for personal use it's not that bad. I guess this is sort of a casual rant if there is such a thing. More like "Aww, man! Well, was good while it lasted. Time to move on."

With or without Prime I'll still use Amazon. Maybe just not so much.

- Leo Szilard

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    Howdy, guys!

Re-read my post, and to clarify my bad wording: many Prime items are still free 2 day, it's just many now are not (yet still labeled as Prime). It makes the most difference at work where I'd really like to get what I need quickly without having to spend more time determining if I'll have it in 2 days or 4-6 weeks. Project completion time is important at work but for personal use it's not that bad. I guess this is sort of a casual rant if there is such a thing. More like "Aww, man! Well, was good while it lasted. Time to move on."

With or without Prime I'll still use Amazon. Maybe just not so much.
    I have not had an issue myself. I have noticed that I need to pay attention if the item is an "Add-on" item. It's still prime it it ships with a more expensive or a larger item. Other than that. No issues with the prime filter on my end.

I'm a long time Prime user basically just for the 2 day shipping.

Faust,
    (Hey dude, how are you?)

Most items will have other shipping options from other vendors that are not prime, usually cheaper, and often depending upon quantity, through same vendor.
    IOW, say you are buying vitamins just as an example;
    1 bottle at $9 prime
    2 bottles at $10 not prime
    4 bottles at $25 prime
    and if you click 'other vendors' or whatever, you can get
    1 bottle at $7 not prime, but free shipping...
    The vendors have to up the price on prime items to help cover the cost of shipping as Amazon gets the Prime membership money.

It is easy to click for the 'better' deal on a page that has some quantities prime, yet not all...if you follow...

Typically I search for what I want (not limiting to Prime) and if multiple vendors, I will weigh prime cost to other options. I usually pay more and get the prime anyway as it usually ships same day or next and has better tracking, usually with delivery in 2 days. Unless you try to use the USPS tracking- what a joke!

My complaints with prime of late is that before (last year? Not sure when) they used private delivery companies (ie. Joe's delivery service) that had zombies doing the deliveries (minimum wage flunkies) that didn't really care about making the deliveries on time, paying attention to delivering to a business (typical business hours, say close at 5 PM, although Prime says 8PM)damaged packages, opened and resealed boxes, missing items, etc...

Now they are using USPS which is a freakin' train wreck as most postal workers couldn't care less. (If it wasn't for junk mail, USPS would be out of business. This is a fact and a shame. 20 years ago, USPS was the only profitable branch of the US gov., however that ship sailed. They can't walk routes anymore, must drive up to mailbox or park as close to door as possible, etc.)

Last week, I made an order Tuesday AM- Prime, it showed in Tampa at 9:45 AM on Thursday. No delivery Thursday...or Friday. I checked status Saturday. It said delivery attempt was made at 6:45PM Friday, AND then at 7:30PM delivery could not be made because address was incorrect...
    Delivery was finally made on Monday afternoon...

A couple of weeks ago, status said delivery was made, left in mailbox at 7:55PM on a Friday night. Monday AM, called Amazon and explained that we don't have a mailbox as we are a business in an industrial type park. The mailman parks at our door and comes inside, delivers/pickups from a tray at receptionist counter...
    We have a 6' fence around property so you cannot even get on our property if gate is closed.
    Amazon called USPS and we had a 3 way call. I asked postal worker to come and show me the mailbox that package was left in. Good luck with that!
    Late that afternoon, a postal worker did a special delivery of my package...

It is my understanding, at least here in Tampa, that Amazon is setting up to make their own deliveries. Hiring people, buying vehicles and such. I can't wait. UPS usually has good tracking and on time delivery. USPS has become an embarrassment, typical government...

Another Amazon problem is customer service. No one actually reads the complaint or problem, they merely issue a return authorization and re-send another item. That would be fine on a damaged item, however when an item has been misrepresented, incorrect description, etc., you don't want a replacement of same item, you want what was described and paid for...

[/end of rant] Peace, bro!

Great write up Ken,
    I agree USPS had gone to complete crap. I have not been able to rely on their tracking once in the past few years. Sometime I just dont have the option of a carrier and amazon (or the seller) uses them. I have noticed lately that 2 orders (both int he past month) when checked out with prime was send via 3day group UPS. I emailed them asking why they would choose 3 day ground without weekend delivery on what should be a 2 day order. Generic response email. I emailed back stating that it makes no sense. Another generic email. I'll be calling if it happens again.
    But besides these few issues. I find prime to be well worth the money ( i buy boxes of cable and large lights all the time)

I love amazon prime and yes you have to pay attention but 2 day shipping to me is generally 3 or 4. As to USPS I think it depends on what part of the country you live in. I can probably count on one hand how many times I've not got a bill or something I sent got lost in all my adult years. Not to hijack the thread but the reason USPS isn't doing well is simple. People aren't sending letters anymore or paying bills by check through the mail. Personally I'll use Priority Mail over UPS or Fedex anyday. Cheaper and the package does get there when they say it will.
    The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, and prejudices to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own for the children and the children yet unborn and the pity of it is that these things cannot be confined to the Twilight Zone.

Hello, morbidpete, downhill, Ken!

Although I really do need to pay closer attention, there are 2 recent orders that were/are Prime that took over a week to get to me. Actually more if you include orders at work. Home deliveries were kind of arbitrary; I didn't go into a frothy rage because my Lemi-Shine dishwasher rinse additive took 3 extra days to get to me. The work ones were more irritating, but I can't complain because they're not purchased on my account. As was said, I just need to accept that I need to pay closer attention.

With the USPS thing, I have some secondhand insight... old friend of mine worked on the new distribution center conveyor/sorter systems around the country when it was Hughes or Northrop (I think?) that had the contract. He said the systems that sort packages are teh suck and the tracking system is even worse (which I can attest to, I have often received the package days before the system updates itself so state the package was shipped). The letter mail system works extremely well, as I sure we can all attest to due to how effectively they fill our %^$&^%$ mailbox with unsolicited crap mail. Kind of a sore spot of mine, really. Drives me nuts. Also, if the only shipping method a vendor offers is USPS (I'm looking at you, most eBay sellers), there's a 100% chance I will at least look elsewhere and about a 75% chance I will just give up on the idea of making the purchase. The last half dozen attempts to entertain USPS as a package delivery option have been utterly awful.

- Leo Szilard

Blog Entries

Thanks Pete!

Our normal USPS guy is great, although he usually only works Monday-Thursday and seems to have a lot of time off. (Notice how most of my problems are at the end of the work week) He comes in and comes to my office and we chat and BS for a couple of minutes daily, sports, life, etc... Nice guy.

He told me that many of his coworkers are a disgrace. They don't want to walk upstairs to make delivery and will just click some type of undeliverable excuse. He told me about 1 guy that just didn't want to make deliveries to a particular subdivision and would send parcels back as undeliverable. Decent middle class neighborhood, not housing projects or ghettos...

Many years ago (~20+) the normal postman at my home, he received permanent disability with full benefits...for mental stress... A letter carrier, mental stress, permanent disability with full benefits for life... Only in government...

Lack of accountability seems to be the major problem with many civil service workers, and as mentioned, largely dependent upon the area. Small communities don't have as many employees and easier to pin point the problem, large cities,...well...

Junk mail...well it keeps them in business. They can return to sender, first class mail and such, however junk mail MUST be delivered... Where are the priorities? Logic?

I typically use a PO Box and have for 30-35 years, no problems. I recall a time when the electric company wanted to send bill to home residence, and I would miss a bill 3-4 times per year. When I called the electric company would tell me that the bill was returned undeliverable... Explain that... Of course calling postal service, they would make an excuse and say they would follow up, however it would repeat...

Again, as with other government agencies that I often have to deal with being a state license holder, there is no accountability. Show up on time everyday and they can't be terminated.

You gotta love this country! They must take everything to an extreme. No moderation. All or none...
    I have nothing against G & L's, however when you can't have a flag from history in a building, yet they can fly a G&L flag on the flagpole... Those that don't learn from the past are condemned to repeat it...

Back on topic:

Pete, You will get results from Amazon if you call them. As I said before, all you get is a replacement if you do it electronically and as you said, generic responses...

Many people must be complaining about delivery or they wouldn't go through with setting up their own delivery department. Tremendous amount of start up costs involved, not to mention maintenance....

It doesn't just pertain to USPS though as many smaller independents seemed to be far worse with opened and re-taped packages often missing items listed on packing sheets. Amazon did stop that quick and assumed a deal with USPS would be cheaper than UPS. It makes me curious now, wondering the ownership of some of those companies... They sure didn't seem to stay in business long. Fly by night, make the money and run...

Faust, I have done the same thing before, seeing it listed as Prime, adding to cart with a quantity and afterwards realizing only 1 count was Prime, quantities were not. It's easy to do especially if you are in a rush. The hurrier I go, the behinder I get! LOL

Downhill, (& Faust, et al) We need to complain to Amazon when they miss the delivery time as we pay for Prime and pay a little extra for the items sent by Prime. If we don't, they will have no reason to change and uphold the agreement... After all the cost is about $100 per year.

Many, if not most business still use letters for billing, sending checks and such. Especially small business, older owners, non tech people, etc...

We deal with major supermarket chains and for some we must use a 3rd party service such as Ariba (Remember the Target Stores credit card breach, yes that was through Ariba...) to get plans, submit bids, work orders, etc., yet checks still come in the mail...
    Consumers often receive electronic statements and send payments through their financial institution, businesses not as much...

With needs lessening and failure/complaints piling up, I am afraid the USPS is heading away with the pony express... You would think they would make customer satisfaction a priority due to losing market share...
    Oh well, if/when it goes under I am sure that taxpayers will continue to pay the former employees, if for no other reason,...mental stress... (Last I heard, my former carrier was enjoying fishing a lot)

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I'm a long time Prime user basically just for the 2 day shipping.

Faust,
    (Hey dude, how are you?)

Most items will have other shipping options from other vendors that are not prime, usually cheaper, and often depending upon quantity, through same vendor.
    IOW, say you are buying vitamins just as an example;
    1 bottle at $9 prime
    2 bottles at $10 not prime
    4 bottles at $25 prime
    and if you click 'other vendors' or whatever, you can get
    1 bottle at $7 not prime, but free shipping...
    The vendors have to up the price on prime items to help cover the cost of shipping as Amazon gets the Prime membership money.

It is easy to click for the 'better' deal on a page that has some quantities prime, yet not all...if you follow...

Typically I search for what I want (not limiting to Prime) and if multiple vendors, I will weigh prime cost to other options. I usually pay more and get the prime anyway as it usually ships same day or next and has better tracking, usually with delivery in 2 days. Unless you try to use the USPS tracking- what a joke!

My complaints with prime of late is that before (last year? Not sure when) they used private delivery companies (ie. Joe's delivery service) that had zombies doing the deliveries (minimum wage flunkies) that didn't really care about making the deliveries on time, paying attention to delivering to a business (typical business hours, say close at 5 PM, although Prime says 8PM)damaged packages, opened and resealed boxes, missing items, etc...

Now they are using USPS which is a freakin' train wreck as most postal workers couldn't care less. (If it wasn't for junk mail, USPS would be out of business. This is a fact and a shame. 20 years ago, USPS was the only profitable branch of the US gov., however that ship sailed. They can't walk routes anymore, must drive up to mailbox or park as close to door as possible, etc.)

Last week, I made an order Tuesday AM- Prime, it showed in Tampa at 9:45 AM on Thursday. No delivery Thursday...or Friday. I checked status Saturday. It said delivery attempt was made at 6:45PM Friday, AND then at 7:30PM delivery could not be made because address was incorrect...
    Delivery was finally made on Monday afternoon...

A couple of weeks ago, status said delivery was made, left in mailbox at 7:55PM on a Friday night. Monday AM, called Amazon and explained that we don't have a mailbox as we are a business in an industrial type park. The mailman parks at our door and comes inside, delivers/pickups from a tray at receptionist counter...
    We have a 6' fence around property so you cannot even get on our property if gate is closed.
    Amazon called USPS and we had a 3 way call. I asked postal worker to come and show me the mailbox that package was left in. Good luck with that!
    Late that afternoon, a postal worker did a special delivery of my package...

It is my understanding, at least here in Tampa, that Amazon is setting up to make their own deliveries. Hiring people, buying vehicles and such. I can't wait. UPS usually has good tracking and on time delivery. USPS has become an embarrassment, typical government...

Another Amazon problem is customer service. No one actually reads the complaint or problem, they merely issue a return authorization and re-send another item. That would be fine on a damaged item, however when an item has been misrepresented, incorrect description, etc., you don't want a replacement of same item, you want what was described and paid for...

[/end of rant] Peace, bro!
    Ive had similar things happen - I have a Prime membership only for the 2 day and free shipping (or one day for a decent rate). It used to be 100%, now i cant count on it, I never know if it'll come in two days, or a week. It sucks. I buy a lot from Amazon so I dont want to get rid of Prime, but I wish they'd get their shipping together.
    There is security in fearlessness.

They have had trouble at times but usually that two day thing is not really possible a lot of times for them. There is an app I seen or web site or something that will search your buys and try and recoup money for you. Personally I don't really trust that kind of thing. Amazon though has taken so much heat that I see they have their own delivery thing going on as well as still getting deliveries from UPS, Fedex, USPS and a few others. I was shocked when I first got a Sunday delivery from a guy in an Amazon van.
    The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, and prejudices to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own for the children and the children yet unborn and the pity of it is that these things cannot be confined to the Twilight Zone.

Blog Entries
    Hi John,

I have sometimes received Amazon packages in white unmarked vans, even in rental vans on weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    Hi John,

I have sometimes received Amazon packages in white unmarked vans, even in rental vans on weekends.
    They source a lot of their deliveries out to independent contractors. My wife's son makes deliveries for Amazon and everything he delivers is delivered from his Dodge Durango. I believe he does a lot of the immediate delivery items people want the same day. He's in a pool of drivers who get a text and the one who wants it or can make the delivery the quickest gets it.