Thread: MicroSoft ?

MicroSoft ?

Just a quick question my uncle got a phone call from someone saying they were from microsoft and he needed to buy a licence for his os winxp. He has had this os for at least 4 years..they told him he could buy a lifetime licence for $475 or a 8 year licence for $275.The reason they said was because xp was no longer going to be supported by microsoft. They also wanted to access his computer remotely which he let them do to show him all the errors his computer had.Anyways I told him it was a scam he should never have let them access his computer and when buy a licence it is already for life but product may become unsupported as newer products come out.My question is was I right about it being a scam.

scam for sure IMO

my parents had someone call and the caller said they were from windows and tried to get info from them.

my parents are technology stunted, but at least they didn't fall for that scam

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    scam for sure IMO
    this /\ 100% !

Blog Entries
    I got a similar call a few days ago, some guy with a heavy accent tried top pitch me that they are calling from some Microsoft computer department, and that my computer is infected, they tried to have me sit in front of a computer and run stuff to give them remote access, but got that I was toying with them at some point and just hung up on me... (I was in my car and couldn't remember what some Windows+key combination opens, lol)

You should report such people to the FTC and make sure to sign up at the "Do not call" registry: https://complaints.donotcall.gov/com...aintcheck.aspx

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Very common scam.
    Was credit card given? If so...yikes!

We have fun with them when they call us.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post

We have fun with them when they call us.

LOL right on,I can imagine !

For some reason we get a lot of those calls here. If I have the time I'll screw with them. It's a very well known scam.

I always say I don't own a computer, but would they like to know the ways of the trees???? They hang up pretty quick.
    People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.

I just ask them what its like not to have any conscience? And how does it feel to rip people off like that and ruin somebodies life? Long pause........click.

That's a new one though. Usually its a spiel about your computer being infected with malware and they want to help you clean it up, for a price. Once they get access they block you from Internet access and demand money to unlock it, wash rinse repeat. If they were given access, I would not do any online banking or internet purchases on that PC. You might want to change your banking passwords etc. Do it from a PC you trust though. I'd also be doing a clean install to remove what ever they did, and block any credit card charges from that company.
    I don't know the same things you don't know.