Thread: Open Port 80

george5020

Post Open Port 80

The Shields-Up website, when "probing my ports", reports that my port 80 is OPEN.
    This has been the case since I have installed a cable modem from Charter Communications.
    Is this normal?
    The folks at Charter don't seem to know anything about it.

------------------
    George

rbertoni

I too have charter.net. You need a firewall. A good FREE download is zonealarm. It works great and is free to home users. You can get it at, i believe, www.zonealarm.com I recommend it highly.

george5020

When I have a firewall running it changes the other ports that Shields-Up checks to the "stealth" condition and port 80 remains "OPEN". Without the firewall other ports are reported "closed" and port 80 is "OPEN". My firewall is part of Vicomsoft's Internet Gateway formerly called SoftRouter. I can't use the ZoneAlarm as it interferes with operation of my wireless network.
    Any other thoughts?
    Thanks for the reply

------------------
    George

Rosco

Yes it is normal because,Port 80 is your HTTP port which allows you to surf on the internet. It has nothing to do with the installation of your cable modem.

george5020

Hmmm, It must have something to do with the cable modem because when I get on the net with the old 56k dial-up modem Shields-Up reports ALL ports are "stealth". Then I go back to the cable modem and there it is, Port 80 is open.
    I can even hook the cable modem to another win98se machine and thengood ole port 80 is reported open.
    Somehow it ties to the cable modem.

fluffy

actually,, port 80,, is an HTTP serving port..

most web SEVERS run on port 80,,,

you actually connect to these servers on much higher port numbers...

but anyway,,, have you scanned for trojans, etc.?

i gotta go,

fluff