Thread: WIFI repeater setup

WIFI repeater setup

I have a Comtrend WR 5882 WIFI router (main base station) and I have a Net Gear WGR614v10 WIFI router (second router - repeater). I have been searching all over ad each thing i try it doesn't work.
    Please help my ignorance and help me set up this second router as a signal extender/repeater. I will be grateful for it.

Thank you in advance

Blog Entries
    Most stock WiFi routers can't be set in extender/repeater mode. There are some workarounds if your router supports third-party firmware (dd-wrt), but, it is best if you can set it up as an access point instead. Repeaters cut your WiFi speed by half.

To set it as an access point, you need to use a Cat5 cable between your main router and the access point. Connect the cable to a LAN port on the access point, do not use the WAN/Internet port.

There is a more detailed guide here: http://www.speedguide.net/articles/h...ess-point-2556

I hope this helps.

signal boost

I receive my wifi from a mobile hotspot down the road. It constantly picking it up and dropping it. How do I boost my wifi signal

Blog Entries
    It depends on how you "receive" it at your location, do you have a wifi router/repeater setup ? If yes, you can look into changing its' antennas, or simply building reflectors to boost the signal in that one direction.

Blog Entries
    The solution to boosting WiFi reception in general is to install a better antenna and/or antenna reflector. If that is not feasible, it depends on your exact setup so we'd need distances, devices/models/current settings, etc. to be able to help.

Quote Originally Posted by johnposs View Post
    I receive my wifi from a mobile hotspot down the road. It constantly picking it up and dropping it. How do I boost my wifi signal
    same situation but getting very good signals

If you want extend range your home wi-fi without speed degradation, you can choose one of two following options..
    Use wires between your access points. NO any kind of WIRELESS.Use wires only.
    How to do it if you have same three same routers... one of routers you have to use like a regular router. Assign to DHCP server range 192.168.1.20 - 192.168.1.200, assign to lan IP 192.168.1.1 mask 255.255.255.0
    For two other routers you have to switch them to "Access point mode" (turn off NAT, turn off DHCP server). Manually assign to one of those 192.168.1.2 and another 192.168.1.3
    If you don't want every time to chose new SSID when you moved by your apartment, use same SSID for all of your routers, BUT assign wireless channel 1 for the first router, wireless channel 6 for the second router and wireless channel 12 for the third router.
    In this case if your device won't switch automatically from one access point to another, you can just turn off and turn on your wi-fi on your device.
    Or, if you want to know which of your access points you are connected now, you can use different SSID, and different channels (1,6,12) in any case.
    In any case, you have to use same wifi password and encryption.
    You have to connect second and third router to the first. Never use connect third to second router.

If you can't pull wires between your devices by the any type of reasons, but you want to get good quality of signal everywhere and high speed, you must know following things:
    Simple case. You have three Access Points (AP), AP #2 and AP #3 have enough signal to noise ratio for connect to AP #1.
    You have to use all APs in this scheme with 2 wireless chips. For simple example first 2,4 GHz and second 5 GHz.
    On main AP, which connected by wire, you set up 2,4 GHz chip for regular wi-fi connection for any types of devices, but 5 GHz chip you set up for connection with AP #2 and #3. For both wireless chip of AP #1 you chose access point mode, but use different wi-fi password and SSID.
    On the AP #2 and AP #3 you set up 2,4 GHz chip like a on router #1. You must use different wireless channel 1,6,12 for all AP and different or same SSID.
    But 5 GHz chip on AP #2 and #3 you have to use in the "station" mode. Because you have to set up connect from AP #2 to AP #1 and from AP #3 to AP #1.
    In this way you get correctly working wireless network. Your 5 GHz chips do interaction between APs and your 2,4 GHz chips working for endpoint devices (laptops, smartphones, desktops...).

Why it so important?
    Because when you use devices with one wireless chip for extending your range (regular $20-100 extenders), you try to do next terrible things:
    1. Receive data from main AP to your extender AP.
    2. Transmit data from your extender AP to main AP.
    3. Receive data from your endpoint devices to extender AP.
    4. Transmit data from your extender AP to endpoint devices.

It looks like one man goes in opposite directions at the same time. Even worse, you have to know, not only endpoint devices connected to extender AP get very low speed. When you use regular extenders you create interference for your main AP. As a result all your wireless network works slowly and unstable. Sometimes it even doesn't work totally.

99% extenders, which you can buy in any store, unfortunately do this terrible things. Even you see extenders with 2,4 GHz and 5 GHz in one device, most likely it's same ****.
    But why?
    Because they extend parallel two wireless signal of your main router. At the program level they can't do more.
    But why?
    In fact the real reason not in these extenders. Real reason in your router. 99% of home routers (and office's routers too) had made like an endpoint routers. Their wireless chips can work only in one mode. And this mode is not intended for extending. But smart guys had came up how to fix this bug. In fact they had came up "how to earn some money by non-worling device". It looks like working device, but it works until time you start really work.

Blog Entries
    Good suggestions Vadi, thanks for helping out and welcome to SG

If wires are not an option, one may be able to use a repeater with dual radios (still introduces a lot of noise on the network), or powerline networking to close the gap as well.
    Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits).
    ๑۩۞۩๑

Thank you Phillip. It's my work.. ))
    I am ISP owner. Not in USA, but my business started 12 years ago from wireless networks. Now we use wireless for backup links only. And optical fiber like a main links.