Thread: HUGE discrepency between Infinity speed test and speedguide.net's

HUGE discrepency between Infinity speed test and speedguide.net's

I expect some differences, but this is ridiculous. Could it be the test results have been influenced by fact that Infinity is my internet provider? Or, is it they're just general deceitful in the interest of gaining new customers.

Though, I must say, my connection speed seems a great deal faster than is indicated by speedguide's results. I downloaded a 2 gig+ torrent today is under 5 minutes. and, I can stream anything with no buffering. There's no test server anywhere near Seattle. But, I'll run a series of each test, and see if the disparity narrows.

Y'all have a happy New Year!

Patrick

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by my_user_name_is_lame View Post
    I expect some differences, but this is ridiculous. Could it be the test results have been influenced by fact that Infinity is my internet provider? Or, is it they're just general deceitful in the interest of gaining new customers.

Though, I must say, my connection speed seems a great deal faster than is indicated by speedguide's results. I downloaded a 2 gig+ torrent today is under 5 minutes. and, I can stream anything with no buffering. There's no test server anywhere near Seattle. But, I'll run a series of each test, and see if the disparity narrows.

Y'all have a happy New Year!

Patrick

[IMG][/IMG]

Whoa, that is quite the discrepancy.
    I'd guess distance/routing from your provider would play a big part but that's a huge difference.
    Always been fond of www.speedtest.net as they let you choose where to test from.

I have comcast xfinity in northern california and love it,my speeds are rockin', try this site ( http://www.speedtest.net/ ) and try a few different servers,then pick one and use that all the time,that way you have a reference to judge by.

here is mine right now

Next year mine goes from 100 megs down to 1000 down and from 3 up to 100 up. Right now I get advertised speed.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, and prejudices to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own for the children and the children yet unborn and the pity of it is that these things cannot be confined to the Twilight Zone.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Speed Tests from your ISP are always faster....as your haven't left their network yet...so you're testing from a more local source, and you haven't left their gateway to the public internet yet. It's sorta like running a speed test on a local LAN. You're not really measuring average internet performance. Just the connection between your house/office...and your ISPs data center..which is generally within 1 or 2 hops.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Blog Entries
    That's what I was going to point out as well... All those speeds are great if you are on your ISP's network and near your physical location. The larger discrepancies usually show up when you try a server far from your physical location on a totally different backbone/network, that way you're testing your ISP's peering arrangements and real-world performance as well.

I realize our speed tests are not very reliable from some of the servers, but they provide some diversity to test from different locations. Another notable difference is that some other speed tests use multiple streams (even from different locations) to fill your line, and it is not a very good indication of single download from a remote server.

Does seem like a really big difference. I get constant 90's down from comcast tests, but barely 5 on SG. After downloading various updates, I am getting speeds much faster than 5. Like Philip said, many factors. We tested a 1Gb link at work last week and was able to download a 720p movie in a few seconds. Too bad it will cost more than it should.
    USMC RETIRED

Steve

Tacoma Guitar Forum