Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Has anyone used the free win 10 update?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Has anyone actually read these yet?
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Uset...10_English.htm

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/privacystatement/

Just curious...

They did change some of it in July...
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Uset...10_English.htm

Quick glance.
    Typo in 6. From such a multi-billion dollar company it really instills so much confidence.
    My issue, I know...but still.

I saw quite a few words that were run together, among other problems. Lots of vague and misleading wording. It is all about reading comprehension!

I would have thought lawyers out the yang would have proof read it. Like anything else I guess, no one really cares about doing their job properly...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    LOL I have never read a single one EVER !!
    You should! Very carefully... Don't read it and assume the intent. Think about each sentence... Trust me, the lawyers do... Reading comprehension...

Take this for starters;
    "Some of the software features send or receive information when using those features. Many of these features can be switched off in the user interface, or you can choose not to use them."

Not all, just 'many'... 'Many' is a key word, well thought out and placed...

"By accepting this agreement and using the software you agree that Microsoft may collect, use, and disclose the information as described in the Microsoft Privacy Statement"

"However, we do not use what you say in email, chat, video calls or voice mail, or your documents, photos or other personal files to target ads to you."

Cool, right? They don't use that specific info to 'target ads to you', however it says nothing about other uses, merely ads... It does give a fairly obvious disclosure of them having complete access to your email, chat, docs, pics, etc... Not a word on selling or disclosing to third parties, merely 'they' do not use it to "target ads" to you...

This is just a couple of examples...

I seem to recall reading a post on an MS blog that states in the soon to come, required subscription version, that you will not be able to prevent installing due to not having the ability to control updates, that all of your info: pics, docs, email, anything on a cloud, etc., will become property of MS... Yes, not yours anymore...

Sure it's free, come and get it!

Everyone had better start reading those EULAS and don't throw away any old OS disks...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    You should! Very carefully... Don't read it and assume the intent. Think about each sentence... Trust me, the lawyers do... Reading comprehension...

Take this for starters;
    "Some of the software features send or receive information when using those features. Many of these features can be switched off in the user interface, or you can choose not to use them."

Not all, just 'many'... 'Many' is a key word, well thought out and placed...

"By accepting this agreement and using the software you agree that Microsoft may collect, use, and disclose the information as described in the Microsoft Privacy Statement"

"However, we do not use what you say in email, chat, video calls or voice mail, or your documents, photos or other personal files to target ads to you."

Cool, right? They don't use that specific info to 'target ads to you', however it says nothing about other uses, merely ads... It does give a fairly obvious disclosure of them having complete access to your email, chat, docs, pics, etc... Not a word on selling or disclosing to third parties, merely 'they' do not use it to "target ads" to you...

This is just a couple of examples...

I seem to recall reading a post on an MS blog that states in the soon to come, required subscription version, that you will not be able to prevent installing due to not having the ability to control updates, that all of your info: pics, docs, email, anything on a cloud, etc., will become property of MS... Yes, not yours anymore...

Sure it's free, come and get it!

Everyone had better start reading those EULAS and don't throw away any old OS disks...
    ya,I get all that,but don't we need to "agree" in order to use the software anyway ?

Blog Entries
    But Ken, those new shiny OSes are so pretty, convenient and free ! What's giving up a little privacy ? RFID is in my passport, Google, Apple, Microsoft, Yahoo, Facebook, etc. are all competing who gets my private info first, and they're all ready to share it with uncle Sam or simply use it themselves.. !

With the risk of sounding like a conspiracy theorist, or an Oregon "militant", here is a bit of a rant.

Let's take Google for example, the free apps and services are designed to either require, or attract your acceptance of data collection.

First there is tracking of your searches and online behavior to sell you relevant ads (and some NSA uses made public by Edward Snowden)... These days I have to look for a hidden setting in my browser and turn on "incognito mode" to have the mere appearance of privacy (for all browsers, not Chrome-specific) ?

Gmail analyzes the content of each email and uses collected information not only to combat spam/viruses, but also to sell your "aggregate" info to advertisers. Yes Ken, handcuffs, garter belts and latex are considered non-personally identifiable information. There was a lawsuit equating this practice with illegal wiretapping.

Do you remember the fiasco with Google Street view collecting wifi network/computer data while driving around ?

Android devices can save all your account info in the cloud (to your Google account)... Including calendar, pictures, WiFi passwords, etc. !? So basically Google knows every digital bit that your device sends out.
    You are required to login with your Google account to download apps, newer versions of Android save contact info to your Google account instead of the device, information from different apps/services is pulled together for your convenience, etc.

Google maps tracks your location while driving/moving to estimate traffic conditions and uses all that "aggregate" information. You are even required and often enticed to turn on features that track you (to use wifi/cell tower info for location services, claiming better battery use, for example).

I can go on, but, imho MS is now playing catch-up in the privacy invasion race.

I put Windows 10 on my laptop and now I regret it. I hate the fact that it has forced updates.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    When I talked about "adware"...back last summer in that post, I was talking about the rumors about ads which would pimp apps from the app store. MS pushing various apps available in their app store.
    There was a Microsoft update released back then which, initially just ramped up the Win10 upgrade nags. But some people dissected it and they found a structure in it which mimicked some adware which had revolving ads.So it looked like Microsoft was lining things up for advertisements down the road.

Not the Cortana stuff....I don't care about that, our smart phones have been doing that stuff for years.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Blog Entries
    Still, there are some good points here. Forced updates for Windows 10 Home are a bit much imho, there is the occasional problematic one. There is an example from ~ a month ago:

Security Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3132372)
    This little thing broke (as in repeated crashes) Internet Explorer, Skype, along with any other software/games that use embedded Internet Explorer / Adobe Flash.

Had it on my laptop for a while. I like it but the laptop is ****.
    Got a new desktop it came with 10, runs much better on it.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Hmmm...sounds familiar..
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Good advice in this thread. Thank you guys!

Panama City, FL and a FAN of Dale Earnhardt Jr. Bud Chevy & NASCAR , and the Atlanta Braves
    Yes it's worth it, has alot of spyware on it, but so do Win 7, 8, 8.1, I'd wait till the Anniversary Update (Redstone 1) comes out though somewhere between 15 & 29 of July.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    But Ken, those new shiny OSes are so pretty, convenient and free ! What's giving up a little privacy ? RFID is in my passport, Google, Apple, Microsoft, Yahoo, Facebook, etc. are all competing who gets my private info first, and they're all ready to share it with uncle Sam or simply use it themselves.. !
    Philip, yikes. Another thread on the forum with regards to surveillance got me worried about private security. I recently upgraded my old laptop from Vista to Windows 7 so that I would get the option to install Windows 10 for free. I hear people complaining about Windows 10 due to there being too many forced updates and "forced" removal of possibly pirated and illegal programs that may contain viruses and other malware? Isn't this a positive thing by the fact that Windows 10 tries its best to make sure you are safe while operating your computer?

I googled privacy and identity theft and found a couple of guides on how to better protect yourself from criminals getting hold of your data. One article lists several neat tips on how to prevent identify theft from occurring in the first place:
    [link removed by admin]

Are some of the "forced" updates perhaps more or less all positive in order to make it harder for criminals to steal your information?

Issue here is, I am not sure if this would protect you from "user behavior" that Google, Apple, Microsoft, Yahoo and Facebook pick up on and store for their own selfish use.
    ...the free apps and services are designed to either require, or attract your acceptance of data collection.
    Android devices can save all your account info in the cloud (to your Google account)... Including calendar, pictures, WiFi passwords, etc. !? So basically Google knows every digital bit that your device sends out.
    Like you are pointing out, they collect information in order to combat spam and viruses. However, what if a hacker gains information that is stored by these services and perhaps even "Uncle Sam"?
    Is there a way to protect ourselves from this, other than using "incognito mode" or completely refraining from using Google at all?

The guide/article mentions the use of a VPN service as a way to gain additional protection. I have a router that is capable of this service, but are there any other methods besides this that can prevent very private information in being picked up by Google and other social media services?
    And also, isn’t Windows 10 supposed to be good for games? So far I thought I was going to be excited about upgrading to Windows 10