Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 54 of 54

Thread: Has anyone used the free win 10 update?

  1. #41
    resident Humboldt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    28,007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Has anyone actually read these yet?
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Uset...10_English.htm

    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/privacystatement/

    Just curious...

    They did change some of it in July...
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Uset...10_English.htm

    Quick glance.
    Typo in 6. From such a multi-billion dollar company it really instills so much confidence.
    My issue, I know...but still.

  2. #42
    Assistant Admin Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Tampa
    Posts
    12,180
    I saw quite a few words that were run together, among other problems. Lots of vague and misleading wording. It is all about reading comprehension!

    I would have thought lawyers out the yang would have proof read it. Like anything else I guess, no one really cares about doing their job properly...

  3. #43
    Assistant Admin Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Tampa
    Posts
    12,180
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    LOL I have never read a single one EVER !!
    You should! Very carefully... Don't read it and assume the intent. Think about each sentence... Trust me, the lawyers do... Reading comprehension...

    Take this for starters;
    "Some of the software features send or receive information when using those features. Many of these features can be switched off in the user interface, or you can choose not to use them."

    Not all, just 'many'... 'Many' is a key word, well thought out and placed...

    "By accepting this agreement and using the software you agree that Microsoft may collect, use, and disclose the information as described in the Microsoft Privacy Statement"

    "However, we do not use what you say in email, chat, video calls or voice mail, or your documents, photos or other personal files to target ads to you."

    Cool, right? They don't use that specific info to 'target ads to you', however it says nothing about other uses, merely ads... It does give a fairly obvious disclosure of them having complete access to your email, chat, docs, pics, etc... Not a word on selling or disclosing to third parties, merely 'they' do not use it to "target ads" to you...

    This is just a couple of examples...

    I seem to recall reading a post on an MS blog that states in the soon to come, required subscription version, that you will not be able to prevent installing due to not having the ability to control updates, that all of your info: pics, docs, email, anything on a cloud, etc., will become property of MS... Yes, not yours anymore...

    Sure it's free, come and get it!

    Everyone had better start reading those EULAS and don't throw away any old OS disks...

  4. #44
    Resident Atheist Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Orangevale ,Ca
    Posts
    18,684
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    You should! Very carefully... Don't read it and assume the intent. Think about each sentence... Trust me, the lawyers do... Reading comprehension...

    Take this for starters;
    "Some of the software features send or receive information when using those features. Many of these features can be switched off in the user interface, or you can choose not to use them."

    Not all, just 'many'... 'Many' is a key word, well thought out and placed...

    "By accepting this agreement and using the software you agree that Microsoft may collect, use, and disclose the information as described in the Microsoft Privacy Statement"

    "However, we do not use what you say in email, chat, video calls or voice mail, or your documents, photos or other personal files to target ads to you."

    Cool, right? They don't use that specific info to 'target ads to you', however it says nothing about other uses, merely ads... It does give a fairly obvious disclosure of them having complete access to your email, chat, docs, pics, etc... Not a word on selling or disclosing to third parties, merely 'they' do not use it to "target ads" to you...

    This is just a couple of examples...

    I seem to recall reading a post on an MS blog that states in the soon to come, required subscription version, that you will not be able to prevent installing due to not having the ability to control updates, that all of your info: pics, docs, email, anything on a cloud, etc., will become property of MS... Yes, not yours anymore...

    Sure it's free, come and get it!

    Everyone had better start reading those EULAS and don't throw away any old OS disks...
    ya,I get all that,but don't we need to "agree" in order to use the software anyway ?

  5. #45
    Administrator Philip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Posts
    11,001
    Blog Entries
    6
    But Ken, those new shiny OSes are so pretty, convenient and free ! What's giving up a little privacy ? RFID is in my passport, Google, Apple, Microsoft, Yahoo, Facebook, etc. are all competing who gets my private info first, and they're all ready to share it with uncle Sam or simply use it themselves.. !

    With the risk of sounding like a conspiracy theorist, or an Oregon "militant", here is a bit of a rant.

    Let's take Google for example, the free apps and services are designed to either require, or attract your acceptance of data collection.

    First there is tracking of your searches and online behavior to sell you relevant ads (and some NSA uses made public by Edward Snowden)... These days I have to look for a hidden setting in my browser and turn on "incognito mode" to have the mere appearance of privacy (for all browsers, not Chrome-specific) ?

    Gmail analyzes the content of each email and uses collected information not only to combat spam/viruses, but also to sell your "aggregate" info to advertisers. Yes Ken, handcuffs, garter belts and latex are considered non-personally identifiable information. There was a lawsuit equating this practice with illegal wiretapping.

    Do you remember the fiasco with Google Street view collecting wifi network/computer data while driving around ?

    Android devices can save all your account info in the cloud (to your Google account)... Including calendar, pictures, WiFi passwords, etc. !? So basically Google knows every digital bit that your device sends out.
    You are required to login with your Google account to download apps, newer versions of Android save contact info to your Google account instead of the device, information from different apps/services is pulled together for your convenience, etc.

    Google maps tracks your location while driving/moving to estimate traffic conditions and uses all that "aggregate" information. You are even required and often enticed to turn on features that track you (to use wifi/cell tower info for location services, claiming better battery use, for example).

    I can go on, but, imho MS is now playing catch-up in the privacy invasion race.

  6. #46
    Freedom Fighter jeremyboycool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    5,042
    I put Windows 10 on my laptop and now I regret it. I hate the fact that it has forced updates.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

  7. #47
    Moderator YeOldeStonecat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Posts
    51,003
    When I talked about "adware"...back last summer in that post, I was talking about the rumors about ads which would pimp apps from the app store. MS pushing various apps available in their app store.
    There was a Microsoft update released back then which, initially just ramped up the Win10 upgrade nags. But some people dissected it and they found a structure in it which mimicked some adware which had revolving ads.So it looked like Microsoft was lining things up for advertisements down the road.

    Not the Cortana stuff....I don't care about that, our smart phones have been doing that stuff for years.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

  8. #48
    Administrator Philip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Posts
    11,001
    Blog Entries
    6
    Still, there are some good points here. Forced updates for Windows 10 Home are a bit much imho, there is the occasional problematic one. There is an example from ~ a month ago:

    Security Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3132372)
    This little thing broke (as in repeated crashes) Internet Explorer, Skype, along with any other software/games that use embedded Internet Explorer / Adobe Flash.

  9. #49
    Elite Member BaLa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    3MW5+WC Temple, Texas
    Posts
    14,373
    Had it on my laptop for a while. I like it but the laptop is ****.
    Got a new desktop it came with 10, runs much better on it.

  10. #50

  11. #51
    Moderator YeOldeStonecat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Posts
    51,003
    Hmmm...sounds familiar..
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

  12. #52
    Peace Debbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    New Rochelle, New York
    Posts
    18,128
    Good advice in this thread. Thank you guys!

  13. #53
    Elite Member Lobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Panama City, FL and a FAN of Dale Earnhardt Jr. Bud Chevy & NASCAR , and the Atlanta Braves
    Posts
    17,660
    Yes it's worth it, has alot of spyware on it, but so do Win 7, 8, 8.1, I'd wait till the Anniversary Update (Redstone 1) comes out though somewhere between 15 & 29 of July.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    But Ken, those new shiny OSes are so pretty, convenient and free ! What's giving up a little privacy ? RFID is in my passport, Google, Apple, Microsoft, Yahoo, Facebook, etc. are all competing who gets my private info first, and they're all ready to share it with uncle Sam or simply use it themselves.. !
    Philip, yikes. Another thread on the forum with regards to surveillance got me worried about private security. I recently upgraded my old laptop from Vista to Windows 7 so that I would get the option to install Windows 10 for free. I hear people complaining about Windows 10 due to there being too many forced updates and "forced" removal of possibly pirated and illegal programs that may contain viruses and other malware? Isn't this a positive thing by the fact that Windows 10 tries its best to make sure you are safe while operating your computer?

    I googled privacy and identity theft and found a couple of guides on how to better protect yourself from criminals getting hold of your data. One article lists several neat tips on how to prevent identify theft from occurring in the first place:
    [link removed by admin]

    Are some of the "forced" updates perhaps more or less all positive in order to make it harder for criminals to steal your information?

    Issue here is, I am not sure if this would protect you from "user behavior" that Google, Apple, Microsoft, Yahoo and Facebook pick up on and store for their own selfish use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    ...the free apps and services are designed to either require, or attract your acceptance of data collection.
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    Android devices can save all your account info in the cloud (to your Google account)... Including calendar, pictures, WiFi passwords, etc. !? So basically Google knows every digital bit that your device sends out.
    Like you are pointing out, they collect information in order to combat spam and viruses. However, what if a hacker gains information that is stored by these services and perhaps even "Uncle Sam"?
    Is there a way to protect ourselves from this, other than using "incognito mode" or completely refraining from using Google at all?

    The guide/article mentions the use of a VPN service as a way to gain additional protection. I have a router that is capable of this service, but are there any other methods besides this that can prevent very private information in being picked up by Google and other social media services?
    And also, isn’t Windows 10 supposed to be good for games? So far I thought I was going to be excited about upgrading to Windows 10

Similar Threads

  1. AVG 7.1.362 Pro & Free Program Update
    By Chachazz in forum Network Security
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-27-05, 07:15 PM
  2. AVG Free won't update..
    By mmione in forum Software Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-11-04, 01:32 AM
  3. Order your FREE XP SP2 Update CD
    By hayc59 in forum Network Security
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-07-04, 11:57 AM
  4. Update AVG 7.0 Pro and AVG 6.0 - free
    By Croc in forum Network Security
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-16-04, 02:14 AM
  5. FREE Windows Update CD
    By Brent in forum General Discussion Board
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-19-04, 10:28 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •