Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone used the free win 10 update?

Has anyone used the free win 10 update?

Thinking about moving to 10 from 7. My 7 is a little bogged down after the years. My question, is has anyone seen a good benefit by going to 10. I am a huge 7 fan, scared of 8 and heard good things about 10. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance...

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    It's pretty good....like it better than 8....but traditionally being old school I do still love Win7.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I have a win 7 DT and LT that have been registered for the free install,but neither one has notified me that it is ready for download.

I would read the EULA carefully before installing the "free" version...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I would read the EULA carefully before installing the "free" version...
    ya from what i have read there is a bunch of tracking\privacy issues with it.

i even uninstalled the windows 10 upgrade deals from my windows 7 PC, might try it at a later time though.

Blog Entries
    I just installed it yesterday on my laptop (upgraded from 8.1) to test some settings with the TCP Optimizer... It's not bad, better Start menu (I had to use "Classic Start Menu" with Windows 8.1, the metro interface was driving me up the wall). Haven't played much with it yet, the new browser seems faster than IE though. I chose "No" to all the tracking, not logging in to it with MS account at all.

Ya, don't log in with a MS account and go to privacy settings and turn off all the tracking ****.

I like Windows 10, would be better if I could edit the Start Menu a bit more, but its fine as is.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisinCain View Post
    That's what I used with Windows 8/8.1, not using it for now with Windows 10 as the default seems to work fine (just had to move a few tiles around)

the way 10 sounds makes me want to just stay with 7 for now,I have a LT & a DT that have it and run just fine.

I went here, http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/windows10 and just did the "Upgrade this PC Now" option. I did all 4 PC's here at home that way. I gave up on the get Windows 10 Application. It seemed to just stall at Verifying your PC. I won't be going back to Windows 8.1 any time soon, or Windows 7. For the most part, I like 10. I like the Windows 8.1 Start Screen/All Apps Screen better than the 10 Start Screen/Start Menu, but I can live with it.
    I don't know the same things you don't know.

Thanks everyone.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    ya from what i have read there is a bunch of tracking\privacy issues with it.

i even uninstalled the windows 10 upgrade deals from my windows 7 PC, might try it at a later time though.
    If you do the "custom" install...you get a chance to disable those during the install/setup process.
    If you did the express install (which they are enabled by default)...easy enough to find the guides on the couple of things to turn off after it's setup.

As for the privacy concerns..much of them center around your typing and vocal commands being stored and accessed by Microsoft. But if you look at actually what it is..and what it's used for...(Cortana)....it's really the same thing happening that people such as iPhone users praise and brag about with Siri! And recently...Android users with Google Now. Same thing! Collects and analyses your data to give you a better, more accurate and personalized experience. I guess I crack up that the media got people to overhype and complain about Microsoft doing it..yes they love how phones do the same_thing!
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Yo, Ye Old Suck Pump

Blog Entries
    Just FYI:

I upgraded my dual core Windows 7 laptop, Windows 7 quad core tower, and a Dell Windows 8 tablet to Windows 10. Not bad so far.

I had one desktop (tower) that was a dual core, with an Old Nvidia video card in it, that Nvida wont make a driver update for.

Some older video cards, may work.. when Windows 10 automatically uses Microsoft's generic video driver, but note.. there is "no" 3d accelerated graphics functionality at all.

Other older video cards with run in an older DirectX mode, but with at least have 3d accelerated graphics in Windows 10.

Blog Entries
    I use all flavors... I have my desktop and HTPC still on Windows 7, my kids' PCs and laptops are on Windows 8.1, my laptop (w.touchscreen I rarely touch) is now on Windows 10. I still don't like the move away from desktop enhanced graphics with Windows 7 to a stripped down phone(y) look of the newer Windows variants.. I miss my Aero interface, and I don't like your tiled/search content, or the whole dumbification of the interface, dangit! Oh well.

My Windows XP laptop (circa 2006) is still running great. SSD, maxed out RAM, this old centrino is rockin'! Why replace it!? Just gotta keep the duct tape secured to keep the display from plopping over as well as the electrical tape on the end of the power adapter so it stays plugged in. Only issue is sometimes flash player videos aren't smooth if I have a lot of browser tabs open. I can live with that though. Nevermind that my daughter's hand-me down iPhone 4s is faster and more powerful. lol

My main desktop however is still Windows 7. SSD's, Core2 1.86GHz with 3.5GB RAM Runs all my old school PC games like the wind!

I haven't made any kind of computer purchase in probably 6 or 7 years now but still have 3 working desktops, 2 laptops and a PowerEdge T110 that just needs new hard drives. Only recent additions have been iPhones, iPads, and an Android tablet that came free with my last iPhone 6+ purchase. lol

I'm actually considering dumping the desktops and making my PowerEdge T110 my main workstation since its just been sitting collecting dust for over a year now. *sigh
    "Nobody's invincible, no plan is foolproof, We all must meet our moment of truth." - Guru

I'm wondering if it's worth it to upgrade from Win7.

Skipped 8, everything I experienced using it and read about it made me hate it and want to smack the sh*t out of whoever designed/approved it.

Win7 I love.
    Am getting the free upgrade offers as well and reading reviews.
    Don't want what Philip doesn't like either...the *phone* look, which I'm guessing also encompasses navigation.
    If I want to use my tablet, I'll use its interface. My desktop, I want to use what works and what I'm used to.
    Not dumb ass gimmicks and swipes that cater to the current smartphone generation that revolves around fkbook and twatter.

Are there any stability/speed/ease of use reasons to make the upgrade?

Thanks

If you don't like Windows 8 your likely not going to like Windows 10. it's just more of the same. Do you have a second PC to run the Insider Preview on? Then you could try it out without messing up your main system.
    I don't know the same things you don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    If you don't like Windows 8 your likely not going to like Windows 10. it's just more of the same. Do you have a second PC to run the Insider Preview on? Then you could try it out without messing up your main system.
    Not that's running Win7, XP on my folding rig.