Thread: So I was asked what I've been up to since I left..

So I was asked what I've been up to since I left..

Mostly just finishing out 42 years with a major railroad helping train brand new signal maintainers who had very very little experience in the craft before being forced to join the maintenance side of things. Trust me that's a pretty scary thought. I had moved into a Signal Inspectors position and would have worked to age 62 even though I could take and did take a full retirement at age 60. (Sava hates unions and will get to retired at age 66.. I feel sooo bad for him.. ) coughs..

For fun.. woodworking .... I've built three custom entertainment setups. One for myself and two for friends. Two new CD cabinets to hold my expanding collection.. (thought someday I'd have a lot of collectible stuff but CD's per say are a dead medium for collectors given the onslaught of digital music)

Audio stuff.. I really do want to build a line array setup for speakers , I spend so much time with headphones dj that I cant see the point anymore and wouldn't really gain that much from changing out what I have now for movies. Maybe someday I'll do it for the challenge.

I also started djing online.. Mostly through Second Life where I"m considered one of the best there. That's quite an honor considering how many "dj's" are on SL. I do mostly blues.. for four nights. and Wednesday night I do a psychedelic set of stuff you've never heard off.. .from mid 60s all the way to this year. You'd think it would have been a dead genre but not yet. That set is tons of fun. When I say music you've never heard that's true. Back in the 60's tons of band would go into a small studio and cut a couple of songs and get a few hundred 45's pressed and pass them out to radio stations and family and try to sell at dances. There was a 2 LP set called Nuggets: Original Artyfacts From the First Psychedelic Era, 1965-1968 that was released in 1972 and reissued as a 5 CD set in 1998. The CD had tons of material that I'd never heard of. It was so popular that lots of companies have followed suit searching out their own archives or someone looking at radio stations and running adds to find this rare stuff. I've been searching it out for years now. Thank god for the net.

I've also done work and dj'd briefly and will probably do so again for an online blues station that's gaining momentum. The owner is a really great friend of mine. Check it out if you like blues .. and you should!! www.bluesmusicfan.com

The house is paid for so been to a few blues fests.. trips to Vegas to see the daughter and helping three grandkids here. Car is paid for... and a used 8 year old Ford F250 Super Duty diesel to pull a 5th wheel, camping and to blues fests..

I started work doing lawns at 12 years old.. went to work in a gas station that did repairs too toward the end of 14 years old and had a total of 6 months off in all that time. I can't even say for sure now that it's sunk in that I'm retired but life is good.
    Last edited by downhill; 08-23-15 at 07:15 PM.
    The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, and prejudices to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own for the children and the children yet unborn and the pity of it is that these things cannot be confined to the Twilight Zone.

I remember when you got in that accident with your work truck...
    speakers builds

unions are a good thing. even though i have never been in one

I was going to post a link to that thread, but the SG search results for "bullsh|t" were too numerous

sometimes you have to think outside the box to get inside the box .

Blog Entries
    If you ever make it close to FL we have to meet up

Nice to see you around, sounds like you are enjoying everything you do !

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    I remember when you got in that accident with your work truck...
    speakers builds

unions are a good thing. even though i have never been in one
    Unions suck.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisinCain View Post
    Unions suck.
    Nothing like working till your 66 or older eh?
    The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, and prejudices to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own for the children and the children yet unborn and the pity of it is that these things cannot be confined to the Twilight Zone.

Working with wood...... Pics???????
    People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Unions suck.
    why is that?

I was going to post a link to that thread, but the SG search results for "bullsh|t" were too numerous

sometimes you have to think outside the box to get inside the box .

It is nice to see you around, Downhill. I have always enjoyed SG more when you are posting.

It is amazing the type of music you can find once you break away from the main stream flow and start doing a little digging. I have been exploring 80s dance club music and the modernization of classical music. I am not even sure there is a genre for the type of music I listen to nowadays. Almost like a cross of hip-hop and techno, but on a softer note and with roots in a more classical style of music. Most of it is without lyrics, as I just do not like many songs with lyrics much any more. .
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

Unions suck.
    They can, but they can help workers a lot too.