Thread: Recommendation for Anti-Virus for XP Pro x64

Advanced Member

Recommendation for Anti-Virus for XP Pro x64

I usually use Microsoft Security Essentials for most protection that I setup for people I help. I have someone who has a special need to use Windows XP, and the computer he bought has XP Pro x64. MSE will not work on that. Can anyone recommend another good AV, similar to MSE. I like how MSE is very unobtrusive, runs in the background, never requires much attention and does a good job. Thanks, John

Just upgrade them to Windows 7 if you can. Otherwise, I am not really sure what to suggest. 360 Total Security or BitDefender if they work.

Advanced Member
    That's the thing, for what they are doing, they need to stay on XP, so Windows 7 is not an option. Is 360 Total Security a Norton product?

No. 360 is totally free and will work for XP.

Avast is a very good AV.
    [links removed by admin]
    Support for 64-bit Windows

The new avast! 4.5 Home/Professional now fully supports the 64-bit Windows platform (avast! Server Edition has been supporting Win64 (both AMD64 and IA64) platforms since version 4.1). ALWIL Software is anticipating a massive take-up of this platform as Windows XP 64-Bit Edition will support up to 32 GB of RAM and 16 TB of virtual memory, enabling applications to run faster when working with large data sets. Applications can preload substantially more data into virtual memory, allowing rapid access by the 64-bit extensions of the processor. This reduces the time for loading data into virtual memory or seeking, reading, and writing to data storage devices, making applications run faster and more efficiently.

Regular (32-bit) antivirus applications are unable to operate correctly on the 64-bit Windows platform because they rely on 32-bit kernel-mode drivers. The new avast! uses native 64-bit drivers, delivering the same level of protection as in the 32-bit Windows environments. The installation package is the same for 32-bit and 64-bit versions - the setup program automatically detects the operating system it is running on and installs all necessary files.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    IOBit..ugh, most IT professionals clean that out soon as they see it, it's sort of borderline rogue/antivirus...brings along a lot of junkware.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Avast