Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here using Win 10 yet?

Home and Pro are two separate downloads. You had no choice but to install Home if that's what you downloaded. You could have downloaded Pro and clean installed it on the PC that came with 8.1 Pro. Whether your installs stay activated, only time will tell? All I can tell you is if I download install 8.1 Core from here, http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...-refresh-media it will use my laptops 8.0 embedded key automatically and activates online automatically. If I download 8.1 Pro and try to install it on that same laptop, it rejects the key and prompts for one. I have to enter a Pro key to continue the install. If Windows 10 does the same thing, your 8.1 Pro key should have been refused when you installed 10 Home. It wasn't, which leads me to believe it doesn't look for Windows 8 keys. Just an observation mind you. Also, OEM Windows 7 PC's with no OS installed, will have no key to find. It's not embedded in the BIOS for Windows 7. No way to determine what version of Windows 7 was installed either to figure out what version to install as part of the free upgrade.
    I don't know the same things you don't know.

Not really sure how to decipher your post. Neither my tablet or desktop came with 8.1 Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisinCain View Post
    Not really sure how to decipher your post. Neither my tablet or desktop came with 8.1 Pro.
    You said in your other post "Installed 32 bit on my Dell Venue 8 Pro (activated as Windows 10 Home)." I took that to mean it originally had 8 Pro on it? If yes, you are eligible for 10 Pro on that PC. In your next post you said " Yes, to keep Pro you need to do the upgrade." You install with the Pro media and you get pro, is all I'm saying.

No. The tablet came with Home. Pro is just the model of the tablet.

OK, my mistake then.

Hi,

Iīm a newbie here
    I havenīt had the guts yet to go to Windows10 . From what I hear itīs still a bit unstable, so Iīll wait for a while

Quote Originally Posted by Mozz View Post
    Hi,

Iīm a newbie here
    I havenīt had the guts yet to go to Windows10 . From what I hear itīs still a bit unstable, so Iīll wait for a while
    No. It is far from unstable. Quit spreading the FUD. Everything I used with 8 and 8.1 works fine with 10.

Lots of people are having issues. I'm not but some are. You can always clean install after you upgrade. A lot depends on how stable your system is before you do the upgrade. I had a lot more issues with Insider builds that I do with the final release. Still needs work though, IMHO.

If your current system runs 8 or 8.1 there should be no problem. 8.1 drivers will work with 10 if need be. If not, wait until 10 drivers are released for 10. FFS, if you are having issues, then you don't know what you are doing. We could go round and round. I know it depends on you specific situation.

Sorry, it was and is not my intention to spread anything...just my opinion. I have friends who got an update to Windows 10 and they've had problems. I definitely want to upgrade as I like what I have seen so far, but intend to wait a little more, until the problems are cleared...but as TheDude says, it could also be because of the previous system, I don't know

I'm sure I'll be moving to 10 within the next month or so. Although I see a lot of tech sites coming out with tips and other things I just don't sense a wave of exuberance like with Win 7.

Smithfield, New South Wales, Australia, Australia
    I am using Windows 10 Pro on all 4 of my machines and I am very much impressed.
    Main Computer:
    GA97X G3
    i7 4790K
    GTX960
    32gb Ram
    1TB Samsung 860 SSD
    NZXT Case

FYI

It may not have been stated yet, but Windows 7 does not embed the product key in the bios, only Windows 8 does that and afaik, it only does it if the bios is set to secure boot AND if windows 8 came pre-installed on the comp. My windows 8 was installed without secure boot enabled, thus no bios embedded product key.

I won't be using windows 10 for at least another year, until the major bugs are sorted out, and the end user is given the option to remove specific MS apps and completely disable windows update.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    FYI

It may not have been stated yet, but Windows 7 does not embed the product key in the bios, only Windows 8 does that and afaik, it only does it if the bios is set to secure boot AND if windows 8 came pre-installed on the comp. My windows 8 was installed without secure boot enabled, thus no bios embedded product key.

I won't be using windows 10 for at least another year, until the major bugs are sorted out, and the end user is given the option to remove specific MS apps and completely disable windows update.
    Installing Windows 8 on a PC will not embed the key in the BIOS no matter what settings you use. If that's what your wondering? Only the OEM can embed the key in the BIOS. Flashing the BIOS does not alter it either. Where its stored is unaffected by a BIOS update.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Installing Windows 8 on a PC will not embed the key in the BIOS no matter what settings you use. If that's what your wondering? Only the OEM can embed the key in the BIOS. Flashing the BIOS does not alter it either. Where its stored is unaffected by a BIOS update.
    I know, thanks. I had said:

only Windows 8 does that and afaik, it only does it if the bios is set to secure boot AND if windows 8 came pre-installed on the comp.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    I know, thanks. I had said:

only Windows 8 does that and afaik, it only does it if the bios is set to secure boot AND if windows 8 came pre-installed on the comp.
    Ok, wasn't 100%. It sounded like you were saying installing Windows 8 would embed the key. The key is still embedded even if secure boot is turned off. Official install media will still read it and use it with secure boot off too, as far as I know anyway. I've been told that, I haven't tried it myself though. I haven't been in a situation where I needed to turn secure boot off. I don't run Linux etc on my laptop, only Windows 8/8.1 and 10.

If you have a PC that came with 8 or 8.1 the key is embedded in the BIOS. If you install Windows 10 it will give you whatever version of 8 you had that came with the PC (Home, Pro). I have verified this recently numerous times.

What version of 10 you get via the free upgrade is determined by what OS your upgrading from, not what key is in the BIOS. My laptop has an 8.0 Core OEM embedded key, but was running 8.1 Pro. I got 10 Pro with my free upgrade. Also the Windows 8/8.1 key is not read or used by Windows 10 install media on a clean install. If I boot from my MSDN ISO I'm prompted to enter a key, if I click skip I'm prompted to select Home or Pro. If it was reading the OEM key it would just install Home without asking me. This is on my laptop that has an 8.0 Core OEM Embedded key. If you download an ISO with the Media Creation Tool, your options are Home or Pro, there is no multi edition ISO. Your deciding which one to install when you pick your ISO to use. If I use the Home ISO on my laptop it will prompt for a key. I can click skip and install anyway but it will not activate. If I use the Pro ISO and do the same thing it will activate. It activates because Pro was what I got with my Free upgrade. The original Pro activation on that PC is stored on the activation server.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    from what I know about slic, It's not even a key that is embedded. it is a Cert specific to that OEM. hence when you do a bios update, you are overwriting the bios and the cert, but the same cert is embedded in that new bios also. so upon OS activation. that small OEM folder you usually see in the iso's. they contain the other cert for that manf. and a generic universal key that is used to authenticate against the cert in the bios.

I have made many a batch file to facilitate this OEM activation with MDT and WDS using oem certs and generic keys. This usually happens in the background during the OS install. Dell has been doing this since win xp.

This is my understanding at least. Win 8 and newer just started making it mandatory.

Quote Originally Posted by morbidpete View Post
    from what I know about slic, It's not even a key that is embedded. it is a Cert specific to that OEM. hence when you do a bios update, you are overwriting the bios and the cert, but the same cert is embedded in that new bios also. so upon OS activation. that small OEM folder you usually see in the iso's. they contain the other cert for that manf. and a generic universal key that is used to authenticate against the cert in the bios.

I have made many a batch file to facilitate this OEM activation with MDT and WDS using oem certs and generic keys. This usually happens in the background during the OS install. Dell has been doing this since win xp.

This is my understanding at least. Win 8 and newer just started making it mandatory.
    Windows 7 and earlier use a SLIC table, pretty well the way you describe. Windows 8 and newer don't, they actually embed a product code in the BIOS. And it's a unique key for each and every PC. I wouldn't call in mandatory though? If you buy just a motherboard from say Newegg, it's not going to have an embedded key, even if it's UEFI BIOS. But yes for Windows 8/8.1 I do believe OA 3.0 has to be used so in a way it is mandatory.