Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here using Win 10 yet?

Anyone here using Win 10 yet?

I still haven't clicked on the icon yet.

I did a clean install on my tablet and PC. I really do like it, but I would suggest installing Classic Shell though. Also, I have the 32 and 64 bit ISO's if anyone needs/wants them. Just let me know and I will put up links.

Blog Entries
    No, waiting a bit to see reviews/test it before I take the plunge. I'll probably just install it on my laptop, my desktop is still Windows 7.

I upgraded from 7 to 10. Pretty painless. I'm happy with the start menu, only live tile I use is the weather one. Like the new task manager and how Task View and virtual desktops work.

Have Cortana heavily limited, but I'll play around with it later. Edge is nice but no adblock yet so I haven't given it much of a try, but its far better than IE from what I've seen.

Grabbed latest video, win8.1 sound drivers and let windows find the rest.

You can download ISO's here, https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10 right from Microsoft. That tool will create bootable media for you if you want. I did the free upgrade on my 4 PC's here at home. I like the Windows 8.1 Start Screen/All Apps screen better that the 10 hybrid Start Screen/Start Menu. My upgrades were to 10 Pro, didn't lose anything other than Media center. I used the "Upgrade this PC now" option in the link I posted. After that I clean installed Enterprise on my laptop and didn't have to install one driver manually. Everything works as it should. I'm liking Windows 10.
    I don't know the same things you don't know.

Download the appropriate ISO, use the creation tool https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...-download-tool and do a clean install (if you PC, etc. came with 8 or 8.1 the Product Key is embedded in the BIOS so it should activate with no problem).

You have to upgrade and activate before you can clean install. If your doing the free upgrade. Your qualifying OS has to be installed to be verified. The Windows 8 embedded key is not used. When you upgrade and activate Windows 10 a hardware hash is stored on the activation server. After that you can clean install and just skip entering a key and it will activate. If you clean install on a system that was not already activated as I mentioned, you will be prompted to enter a key. If you skip entering a key it will fail activation. Windows 10 will not use Windows 8 keys.

Quit spreading the FUD. I just did it with my personal PC. If you have Windows 8 or 8.1 the OEM Product Key is embedded in the BIOS. You can do a clean install of Windows 10 and have it activate.

It's not FUD, typical response from you. What version of Windows 8 was preinstalled? What Version of 10 did you install? What you upgrade from determines what version you get. You can't just install any version you want for free. Did you ever have Windows 10 installed on that PC in the past, Insider Preview maybe? I've seen numerous reports of people doing clean install and activation fails. Start over and upgrade from your qualifying OS and Windows 10 activates. And stays activated on any further clean installs on that hardware. I was just trying to prevent someone from ending up in that situation. Check your key with a key checker, then Google the last 5 characters. Then see how many people have the same key. All four of my systems have the same key. Activation is done by my registered hardware hash created when I upgraded from Windows 8. My laptop has a Windows 8 Core OEM key, but Windows 8.1 Pro was installed when I did the upgrade. I got 10 Pro. Doing it your way, I would have got 10 Home.

If you use microsoft's creation tool it will make an iso with a windows 10 key if you did the reserve thing and are ready. If you make an iso and dont have a reserve key, or the creation tool cant detect your valid key, it will make an iso wihtout a windows 10 key.

Just going by what I was told by Microsoft as a Microsoft MVP. And info I've seen online like this.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq

What are the qualifications for the free upgrade?

The only requirements for the free Windows 10 Upgrade are that your device is compatible, and you’re running genuine Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1.1

Can I reinstall Windows 10 on my computer after upgrading?

Yes. Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, you will be able to reinstall, including a clean install, on the same device. You won’t need a product key for re-activations on the same hardware. If you make a meaningful change to your hardware, you may need to contact customer support to help with activation. You’ll also be able to create your own installation media like a USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    If you use microsoft's creation tool it will make an iso with a windows 10 key if you did the reserve thing and are ready. If you make an iso and dont have a reserve key, or the creation tool cant detect your valid key, it will make an iso wihtout a windows 10 key.
    so i can reserve a copy now and then make an iso to do a clean install without doing the update process ?

i am still going to wait for awhile for sure,

i assume if you do the upgrade you have to reinstall all my programs and games ? ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    so i can reserve a copy now and then make an iso to do a clean install without doing the update process ?

i am still going to wait for awhile for sure,

i assume if you do the upgrade you have to reinstall all my programs and games ? ?
    I'm pretty sure thats how it goes, I'll double check with my buddy that did the full install without upgrading.

I upgraded and I didnt not have to reinstall all my games and programs. The only difference is that in add remove programs, the programs that were installed during the windows 7 time have "unavailable" listed for the size of the installation. They all work, and can be uninstalled or repaired if applicable.

Only thing that didnt work right was Speccy, and I had a really old version so that was probably why, uninstalled it and got the latest and all is good.

If you added Media Center to Windows 8/8.1, its removed during the upgrade. Everything else is carrier over. You get an option during the upgrade to keep files and programs or not. Your choice. If you go here and run the tool. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10 There is an upgrade this PC now option. The required files are downloaded and the upgrade is done with no need to create media or boot to your install media. You can rollback to your previous OS if you want. You have 30 days to do that, but only because Windows deletes the files after that time. An automatic disk cleanup that deletes the Windows.old folder I believe. Run the tool a second time to create your install media or save an ISO. Or do all three. There is also a Get Windows 10 Application that gets installed on Windows 7 and 8 PC's that lets you reserve your free upgrade. I windows LOGO/ICON shows up in your notifications area. You click it and follow the instructions. Works pretty much the same as the upgrade your PC now option above, only slower and in steps. You'll get anotification that your free upgrade is reserved. Then one saying it started the process, validation, etc. I never got to the end. I lost patience and bailed, and used the Media Creation Tool I linked to. You have a whole year to take Microsoft up on the free offer so no rush. Some info here, https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq

I'm sticking to my "You must upgrade to be sure of being able to clean install and activate at a latter date." I don't think the ISO is coded depending on what PC you download it on, and marked as OK for a free upgrade. One reason is you can use that same ISO to do clean installs on multiple PC's. Also, you can download any version you want, regardless of what OS your PC is running. What you get fro the free upgrade is based on what OS you upgrade on. 8.1 Core gets you 10 Home. Thus, you shouldn't be able to download 10 Pro and clean install it on 8.1 Core. There may be glitches in the system I don't know. I can't test all the scenarios. I think the whole point of the ISO download, is so you have your install media to do a clean install if need be. The way Microsoft wants you to upgrade is via the Upgrade This PC now option. IMHO.

I'm sure it's a good OS but I'd rather wait for a lot more hands on reports rather than what I hear in the media about it being great. Sometimes it sounds like people talking about how great a movie is that hasn't come out yet.

My friend reserved, didn't not get the pop up to install, got the media tool, installed from usb and was good. He had 8.1 and it says activated. I wanted to be safe and make sure I got my key so I upgraded.

Microsoft confused things when build 10240 went out to insiders. No watermark, no mention of Prerelease anywhere, and no detectable expiry date on the activation. Even if you were still receiving insider builds and hadn't opted out. And even on system that had done clean installs of the Insider Preview. Sparked all kinds of debate on whether it was RTM or not? And whether insiders were getting Windows 10 for free just for being an insider. Microsoft had said though, if you opted out on insider builds you were subject to the same requirements for the free upgrade as anybody else. Me, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I had the Get Windows 10 App on all 4 of my PC's and was going to do the upgrade that way. I started things off around 8AM. By late afternoon all my PC's were stuck on Validating or Almost Ready. They had been on those screens for hours. I finally just gave up and used the Media Creation Tool instead. I had 4 PC's upgraded in an hour, hour and a half. I didn't time it, it was less than 2 hours though.

Came with Windows 8.1. Downloaded the 32 & 64 bit versions of Windows 10. Installed 64 bit on my desktop (activated as Windows 10 Home) Installed 32 bit on my Dell Venue 8 Pro (activated as Windows 10 Home). No product key was required and both were clean installs.

I had 8.1 on both devices so I already had the "Home" version so to speak anyway. Yes, to keep Pro you need to do the upgrade.