Thread: Opinions on Cecil and the dentist?

Opinions on Cecil and the dentist?

How I see it:

I'll put my boiled down opinion here first... the dentist is a dick. Possibly a huge dick depending on how true some of the details are. He is not a poacher, does not deserve to lose his practice, does not deserve to be executed (eff you PETA, you're the voice of extremist retards, not reasonable people who believe in the ethical treatment of animals) and does not need to be extradited to a country with a questionable record of human rights or any rights in general. Again, dentist guy is a dick. Rationale below.

First of all there is a difference between a hunter and a poacher. Hunters consider what is needed to hunt and not be a dick. Poachers do not. Poachers are indiscriminate. The dentist group lured Cecil out of protected area in order to kill him legally. Luring an animal to you (regardless of where point "a" is) is standard practice for hunters particularly in Africa. Hell, ever tried fishing with no bait or shiny thing on your hook? That being said, I assume he (the dentist) knew what was going on. If they had waited long enough it's pretty assumable Cecil would have wandered out on his own at some point. Criminal act? Not IMO, but still an intentional move of the dick variety.

The biggest issue to me is the radio collar. Regardless of where in the world you are, you just don't kill an animal with a radio collar (or any collar for that matter) or tags or any sign they are important to us. The dentist could say he didn't notice but that is my exact complaint. People get shot all the time during deer hunting season because the shooter didn't follow due diligence and shot before they were sure what the hell they were mashing the bang switch on. Every one of them a massive dick. You do NOT try to kill anything before you are sure of what that thing is and consider the implications. So dentist was using a crossbow? Well, the fact he idn't make a good shot and Cecil wound up needing to be killed after 40 hours in itself adds to the dickishness, but as someone who did a fair amount of hunting earlier in life, bad shots sometimes happen. Just do your job and end the suffering.

Anyways, in summation, from what convincing evidence I have seen, the guy is someone I would not hang out with or have a beer with or help change a flat tire. He's a dick, but not a criminal/poacher. He deserves a tidal wave of hate from society, but not to be treated like a murderer or lose his practice (due to political or legal pressure, but people who don't like him have every right to find a new dentist). The media is (or was, I shut my radio off on the way to work after hearing too many opinions that started with "Yeah, so ummmm, I'm like a Vegan, and *off button*) just fanning the flames here. I do my best to live by the "I'm OK, you're OK" ethos, and understand my beliefs are not "better" than anyone else's. I just draw a line where "I don't agree with this person" meets "I don't like this person and so he must suffer".

Now my question is, why did I just spend 30 minutes writing a post about something that will be completely forgotten in 3 months. I blame a long work week and beer. Please forgive.
    "Today is a black day in the history of mankind."

- Leo Szilard

Lions and Tigers and Bears... Oh My!

Honestly I don't care. Everyone is so quick to judge these days with twitter and facebook being instant. I'll wait till the full story is out or some trial is done to care more. Its the same with the story about the dude in Kentucky that shot a drone down, barely any evidence shared and lots of talk, but people have divided and judged both sides already.

Not into hunting animals myself.

Hunting for sport is dumb, eat what you kill.

the whole Story is way over the top...

people need to relax lol

I was going to post a link to that thread, but the SG search results for "bullsh|t" were too numerous

sometimes you have to think outside the box to get inside the box .

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Hunting for sport is dumb, eat what you kill.

the whole Story is way over the top...

people need to relax lol
    The only hunting I have participated in since I was 15 has been pheasant hunting with my father on occasion when I go out to visit the folks in the midwest. Killing pheasant or quail means pheasant or quail for dinner (yum! Mom has a great recipe for both). But my daily life where I live contains no desire to kill my food. Besides, my dominant eye is fukkered so I wouldn't even if I got the itch. Before that we went to Africa 3 times on safari in the '80s, but everything we did not eat (which was kind of a prereq, but there's no way we could eat a 1200lbs cape buffalo in the 2 weeks we were there or export it) was given to and eaten/used by the handful of workers (and their village) at our camp. Nothing was wasted.

Anyways, I guess what prompted my original post was the over-the-top drama being laid out by the media. The guy may be a massive tool but he's not Hitler. Unfortunately, he may pay the same price due to sensationalism.
    "Today is a black day in the history of mankind."

- Leo Szilard

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    I haven't fully followed the story, and sorted the details.

IMO, these days, "safari trophy hunting" isn't cool.
    I'm fine with hunting, hunting common, abundant animals..such as deer. Have hunted locally in my younger years, no problem with hunting abundant local stuff.

But these days, exotic animals are dwindling in numbers. Humans will wipe them out soon enough...just..IMO...no need to speed that up by doing trophy hunts.

I did read that he shot something like a bear in an illegal area....and drove it to some other state to claim his ticket...and got in trouble for it, so that show's he's a sneaky, selfish bastard...with his morals on the wrong side of the street. Thus...his "I didn't see the radio collar" claim holds no water to me.

All in all, to me, just an animal, the attention the media is giving it is waaaaaay overkill. Typical media overhype..and how social media multiples that by a factor of a kajillion. There are more serious things going on in life which could use the attention.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I don't think the media has over done ANYTHING ! the senseless killing of these types of animals in over the top and unnecessary,hopefully the media will help bring enough attention to these A S S H O L E S so that this horrible type of hunting gets stopped !

Like Brian said,these animals at this rate will be gone soon.

f u c k these cruel jerkoffs that do this hunting,I don't understand the need to kill !

they are going to ruin if for the rest of us.

and please,don't give me the "population control" bull $hit,I've heard it all.

I have never liked hunting/hunters in the first place.

the only reason I am tired of seeing this story is because it saddens me very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    [B]and please,don't give me the "population control" bull $hit,I've heard it all.
    Ya I don't think that can fly for anything other than deer, raccoons, squirrels, and such.

Just to throw this out as I really have no clue on the actual facts, however the guy paid local guides... Perhaps he didn't know, however the guides should have and should be held accountable, at minimum...

And just to add, I'm not sure how they 'lured' him out of the reserve as the lionesses (females) do the hunting for food, the males do not... The male is basically only good for fertilization. When males lions fight, the objective is to bite, mangle, mutilate the others jewels as that is a death sentence to a lion as females will not allow a non fertile male to be around and again males do not hunt for food...

http://news.yahoo.com/lion-zimbabwea...140720900.html
    An interesting take from the people of Zimbabwe...

"What lion?" Zimbabweans ask, amid global Cecil circus

For most people in the southern African nation, where unemployment tops 80 percent and the economy continues to feel the after-effects of billion percent hyperinflation a decade ago, the uproar had all the hallmarks of a 'First World Problem'.

"Are you saying that all this noise is about a dead lion? Lions are killed all the time in this country," said Tryphina Kaseke, a used-clothes hawker on the streets of Harare. "What is so special about this one?"

As with many countries in Africa, in Zimbabwe big wild animals such as lions, elephants or hippos are seen either as a potential meal, or a threat to people and property that needs to be controlled or killed.

"Why are the Americans more concerned than us?" said Joseph Mabuwa, a 33-year-old father-of-two cleaning his car in the centre of the capital. "We never hear them speak out when villagers are killed by lions and elephants in Hwange."