Thread: My father made the news

My father made the news

Whole Confederate flag thing.

He's a Civil War professor in NC.
    Someone spray painted a Sons of the Confederates memorial and they tied the story to the flag issue.

On one hand you had one of the men who funded the memorial stating this is about our ancestors who were invaded, the war had nothing to do with slavery.

Then my father (devoted the last 50 years to research and writes his own text books) stating, "The Civil War was all about slavery. Period. It was exceedingly difficult, if not impossible, for a majority of Southern whites after the war – and now – to openly state we fought the war in order to maintain a vast system of human bondage. It’s very difficult to confront the central reality. That means looking it in the face. That’s very difficult to do. We’d rather come up with defenses – 'Oh, it’s all about states’ rights."

He's gotten a ton of supportive emails and a good handful of hate mails. Even had one guy in a pickup pull up next to him and thank him for saying what he did.

Go Dad

Thanks for sharing! Touchy subject these days. TFS

Awesome! Rock on Professor Humby! Those that don't learn from the past are condemned to repeat it, and denial is a major reason people never learn... The facts are the facts...

P.S. Professor Humby, I don't care what peeps say about your son (who should now be known as Lil' Humby) I think that he is alright!

OMGHI2U Lil Humby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111111111111

I think that's awesome Humboldt.
    The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, and prejudices to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own for the children and the children yet unborn and the pity of it is that these things cannot be confined to the Twilight Zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Awesome! Rock on Professor Humby! Those that don't learn from the past are condemned to repeat it, and denial is a major reason people never learn... The facts are the facts...

P.S. Professor Humby, I don't care what peeps say about your son (who should now be known as Lil' Humby) I think that he is alright!

OMGHI2U Lil Humby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111111111111
    You get the information ok?

Quote Originally Posted by downhill View Post
    I think that's awesome Humboldt.
    Hey downhill

Yeah, I think it's awesome too.

Was looking up some his books for Kendra last night and ended up finding a 30 minute radio interview he did.
    Cracked another beer and listened to it, it was really interesting.

If anyone is interested let me know and I'll send you the link.

Blog Entries
    I'm interested in listening to it, just PM me if you don't want to post it in the thread. ty

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    I'm interested in listening to it, just PM me if you don't want to post it in the thread. ty
    Me too! Listening that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    You get the information ok?
    Yes I did, Thanks! I read through some samples and look forward to actually getting to read it. I will be ordering!

Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    Hey downhill

Yeah, I think it's awesome too.

Was looking up some his books for Kendra last night and ended up finding a 30 minute radio interview he did.
    Cracked another beer and listened to it, it was really interesting.

If anyone is interested let me know and I'll send you the link.
    [smooch!] I just quickly looked at sample pages of the book as I didn't have time to even order it yet. I will be listening to the interview and ordering in a few! [smooch!/]

Is the recording about the Civil War? I would love to listen to anything about American history that is not filtered through rose colored lenses.

I have been studying American History lately; it is dark, depressing and full of hate and greed. The public schools skew our history, as they fear the truth will dissuade the young from patriotism, but as I read over horror after horror, I only grow more in awe of what the American spirit has endured and overcame. This only strengthens my belief that while at the time we may not be the greatest country on Earth, we are full of potential. I feel that the illusion the schools spin may even be more hurtful to our unity and nationalism then the truth. People grow up eventually, and they learn the truth about our horrific past; that is when they become disillusioned with the Greatest Country on Earth. Although the illusion they spin does fool enough youths long enough to whisk them away into the military before they can understand why they are killing and dying. Not that I am without respect for the sacrifice of the American Soldier; I just rather their sacrifice be for the truth and not for a fairy tale.
    Last edited by jeremyboycool; 08-16-15 at 02:00 PM.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking