Thread: Best Home Network Setup?

Question Best Home Network Setup?

hey everyone...

I recently have added a 3rd computer to my network and am looking for what everyone would think the best way to set this network up in regards to sharing etc.

My network consists of this... 1 laptop computer with ME and 6.4 gig HD. 2 Desktop computers one with ME and consisting of 2 HD's of 10 and 6 gigs of space and the other consisting of 2 12 gig HD's. The second desktop has ME on the first drive and the second HD is partitioned with 2000 on half and the other half empty for backups etc.

First off, is it possible for me to share and read files from the 2k HD with the ME drives? If so I would like to delete the partition on my second drive and make the entire HD 2000.

What does everyone think of this, will that work , would you suggest it, and also how would you suggest me setting up my network to get the most out of it etc.. my thinking was to put the backup for one of the desktops on the second HD of the other desktop and vice versa. Also, I am looking for best ways to make things available for sharing options which I know how to do , but wanting to find the best way to do this and not abuse the space I have. Sorry for the long post, but any help would be appreciated. Thx.

Wink

Here is what you cannot do: access a NTFS partition while you are running a different OS. Everything else works, you can access files on a server using NTFS, regardless of which OS the client is using. Therefor I'd say make one machine all Win2k and the server.

If you want to use one external IP, here's how I would go about it.

I'd make one machine the Server, preferably with Win2k, with two NIC's. One connected to the web, the other one to a hub/switch. Of course the rest can be whatever OS you like, as long as it supports TCP/IP (about any OS I can think off). Then install some NAT software (included in Win2k Advanced Server, probably also in Win2k Server) on the server computer, which will allow you to access the web with all machines.

Cheers,
    Ronald

[ 02-07-2001: Message edited by: SeedOfChaos ]
    ex-WoW-addict

Originally posted by SeedOfChaos:
    Here is what you cannot do: access a NTFS partition while you are running a different OS. Everything else works, you can access files on a server using NTFS, regardless of which OS the client is using. Therefor I'd say make one machine all Win2k and the server.

If you want to use one external IP, here's how I would go about it.

I'd make one machine the Server, preferably with Win2k, with two NIC's. One connected to the web, the other one to a hub/switch. Of course the rest can be whatever OS you like, as long as it supports TCP/IP (about any OS I can think off). Then install some NAT software (included in Win2k Advanced Server, probably also in Win2k Server) on the server computer, which will allow you to access the web with all machines.

Cheers,
    Ronald

[ 02-07-2001: Message edited by: SeedOfChaos ]

thanks for the info , i actually have 3 IP addresses at home to access the web so its not necessary to use one to do all that..but you would suggest making one computer all 2K even with me not needing to share internet access with another computer?

All the OS's have their benefits.

It seems like win2k is a good system because it doesn't crash so much.

But hardware compatibility will be the issue, if you have a new system it should all work.

On the otherhand, If your systems will not be hooked together, what difference does it make, just leave ME on them (if you like ME)

I have a multible boot system with ME 2k and 98. Since my machine is older and so are my extra things like scanner, I need the 98 and ME OS. My 3-D gaming card only works with 98.

But I like the stability and security of 2k.

boredombud

Lightbulb

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SeedOfChaos:
    [B]Here is what you cannot do: access a NTFS partition while you are running a different OS. Everything else works, you can access files on a server using NTFS, regardless of which OS the client is using. Therefor I'd say make one machine all Win2k and the server.

all i really have to say is that you can certainly read ntfs partitions on other windows OS's if you download the free software and install it available at http://www.sysinternals.com/
    make sure you have the 7 NT system files in some folder on your hd also otherwise it wont work but yea. there ya go.

[quote]Originally posted by boredombud:
    [b]
    Originally posted by SeedOfChaos:

all i really have to say is that you can certainly read ntfs partitions on other windows OS's if you download the free software and install it available at http://www.sysinternals.com/
    make sure you have the 7 NT system files in some folder on your hd also otherwise it wont work but yea. there ya go.
    thanks for the info