Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: SG Birthady Party

Blog Entries

Lightbulb SG Birthady Party

SpeedGuide.net is officially 16 years old today !

A bit of boring history stuff (for the few that may care, otherwise just ignore)
    In early 1998, Time Warner launched the "Road Runner" Cable Modem service in the Tampa Bay area as a test market. I remember I was just finishing college and I had signed up for beta testing the service. I remember being the second IP on the node, imagine the speed... Well, not quite, as Windows was not optimized for broadband at all, it used hardcoded 8/16KB TCP Window values that throttled the connection. After some RFC reading and digging through the scarce documentation and the Windows Registry, I managed to pinpoint the exact settings needed to "fix" Windows to cope with broadband. Time Warner did offer some personal web space, so instead of developing some type of shareware for profit, I decided to share the information for free for the benefit of all broadband users and that is how the site was born. After a couple of months Time Warner picked up on the info and started referring people to my "home page". After traffic started increasing quite a bit, on 5/5/1999 I got the domain SpeedGuide.net and moved the site to a different type of hosting.

Check out the look of SG in 2000 (earlier iterations are missing most graphics): http://web.archive.org/web/200003041...peedguide.net/

The SG logo was created after a contest back in 2001 (won by Matt.. Who can remember his forum name ? ).
    We started with some button exchanges with similar sites, and banner advertising to cover hosting costs around that time as well. We developed a custom PHP/MySQL based Content Management System with templates and modules for the site around 2003.
    We've developed and updated many free online and offline tools (TCP Analyzer, TCP Optimizer), all aimed to help users improve their broadband internet. We've catalogued 3500+ routers, we have maybe the most complete TCP/UDP ports database on the net with vulnerabilities/applications use, etc. The information on the site is still very relevant, we haven't lost our vision and plan to continue for the benefit of all broadband users.

It's been a wild ride, many dedicated servers and colocations later, we're still here ! (16 seems to be quite a bit in website years).

I want to thank everyone who still visits the site, especially admins and moderators who have spent countless hours helping with the site, and regular users who help others solve their network/PC issues - you are a part of SG that makes it what it is! I hope you still enjoy the forums and if you made it that far reading, note there will be some party favors for a few of the people that post replies to this thread within the next 48 hrs, selected by a random algorithm. Forum regulars have been a great part of our vision to provide free help and valuable service to broadband users. We have a number of members who have been part of the SG Forum community for a decade! We've used our skillz to search for E.T. life (SETI), folded proteins to help cure diseases, we've helped each other and we've been a tight-knit community that feels very much like a family. (Vin Diesel voice): Thank you my familia!

We will always remember and miss the few that have passed away, RIP Croc, Poptom and Blebs. We remember JCOS and I'm glad he's finally back State-side from his wild World tour, staying with another site member who's helping him out - thank you for this Pete! We will remember the fallen ones who moved away to the dark/facebook side... We remember the IRL meets ...

After all this, let me just say, the party is on! Post to say hi, make a comeback, chat, post a picture of a SG meet, or Immy's...nm, dig out an old staple thread that was missed by our archive, rant/rave/suggest/complain/whatever

P.S. Please keep it PG13 outside of the V.I.P. area, or I'll have to call Bouncer.
    Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits).
    ๑۩۞۩๑

Omn... Who can finish that? (I'm not talkin' 'bout yoga nor meditation...)

I do believe that seeing Immy's ...er...umm... was a major part in losing my eye! What was it? LMAO

OK, it's true that I'm just trying to get in on the free party favors, however a bit of clarification as party favors are wide open to interpretation... Are we referring to favors that you get at parties...like in the spare room, upstairs balcony, maybe the closet or in Humby's case- the driveway...

It was actually the Time Warner installation dude that gave me the link to the forums, and if I recall, I believe that he gave others something that required a trip to the doctor... (you guys know who you are! )

Whose poots smelled like White Castle burgers?

Who gave birth to the SG child? How many and what were they? Who knocked whom up?

Who fell into the SG gene pool? Who jumped in willingly?

Who is credited (or blamed) for being the father of SG?

Who, after having fantasies about the MIL, hatched a scheme and finally saw her naked? What food items was he envisioning when he finally did the deed?

Who liked to watch a jack rabbit on speed, screw?

Who has been busted for stretching the foreski...er...truth? Who did the busting?

Who is 'into' animals, especially sheep?

What is the price of rice in Vagin...er...China?

BONerUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111111111111111

Were the forums ever intentionally shut down? By whom? Why?

What was my original user name? Why?

How many MIA SGers can you name?

What are some other SG unforgettable moments? (remember the party favors! )

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Omn... Who can finish that?

I do believe that seeing Immy's ...er...umm... was a major part in losing my eye! LMAO

OK, it's true that I'm just trying to get in on the free party favors, however a bit of clarification as party favors is wide open to interpretation... Are we referring to favors that you get at parties...like in the spare room, upstairs balcony, maybe the closet or in Humby's case- the driveway...
    ---

Hi Ken

Omn+A+Hole

Immy was another matter altogether.

---

Larry

Blog Entries
    Ken, only for V.I.P.s... In your case... We can make this happen too, I have the phone number of a nice employee at 2001 Odyssey. Oh wait, I almost forgot you no longer entertain in such bars. I don't know where to find a latina in Tampa on such a short notice. I can go on with the SG History trivia.. maybe I should start a VIP thread for that though, lol.

Blog Entries
    Hi Philip

First off congratulations on the success of your site. It is well deserved.

Thanks for a place to hang my hat for many years now. It has been a source of learning, fun & friendship with some great people. I never thought i would be referring to some people i have never met nor spoken to as friends, but friendships have come about on this site and who knows one day i may be fortunate enough to meet a few in person.

Still the place to go when help is needed on many subjects computer & life in general.

Here's to many more years to come.

---

Thanks

Larry.

...cooked a pig in the ground, got some beer on ice and all my rowdy friends are...

OK, not SG, yet it fits...

My first post has been edited, so look up! ^^^^^^^^

Perhaps I need to take some monster pain meds as I feel a pain coming! Nevermind, it was just a bad gas bubble!

Blog Entries
    Who, after having fantasies about the MIL, hatched a scheme and finally saw her naked? What food items was he envisioning when he finally did the deed?
    Wait, wait... Wasn't it that dude that enjoyed attending poetry readings ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by minir View Post
    Hi Philip

Here's to many more years to come.
    Thanks for all the laughs and being around Larry, cheers !

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    Wait, wait... Wasn't it that dude that enjoyed attending poetry readings ?
    Yeah, that sounds about right! Who remembers the haiku craze phase that swept the Guide?

How many people have been married while being active SGers? Name them?

Who has been mentally scared for life by being a SGer?

Who had the fantasy girlfriend and was busted?

How many people have changed their user name? What was their original name? How many are on the witness protection program?

Who gets an annual deworming?

Super Bonus- who actually worked in the pron industry and was a member of SG?

Recite rule #20...

How do you uncap your modem?

Who likes the smell of cat food and a$$?

16 years? Goodness gracious has it been that long? Good times man......Good times! Congrats on the continued success Philip!

And LMAO and the MIl scheme, come on man, I had finally managed to erase that horror out-of my mind!!

And wasn't it Brett that shutdown SG?
    Last edited by Prey521; 05-05-15 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prey521 View Post
    16 years? Goodness gracious has it been that long? Good times man......Good times! Congrats on the continued success Philip!

And LMAO and the MIl scheme, come on man, I had finally managed to erase that horror out-of my mind!!

And wasn't it Bratt that shutdown SG?
    LMMFAOTSR!

Muh Preydawg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111

Folks! Step right up as we have a certifiable SG celebrity in the house! I just about peed my pants! ...I meant that I like 'Pirates of the Penzance'...
    You know how it goes, speak of the devil...

You have missed your last 3 payments so I thought a little encouragement might help...

Blog Entries
    Hey Prey

Yes, it was Brent, back when he was an admin, and I was in Eastern Europe on a trip (without much internet or a working cell phone). He shut the forum down for the evening because he got mad at some members, heh. Ken had trouble tracking me down over international phones, lol.

And about the MIL... You were excited when you posted, admit it !

Hey P, perhaps we should un-ban some of the former members that have grown up and stop by for a visit... I see a famous one online now! From Detroit!

Can anyone guess who?

LMMFAOTSR!

Muh Preydawg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111

Folks! Step right up as we have a certifiable SG celebrity in the house! I just about peed my pants! ...I meant that I like 'Pirates of the Penzance'...
    You know how it goes, speak of the devil...

You have missed your last 3 payments so I thought a little encouragement might help...
    KenDawg! Mucho tiempo mi amigo? How's life been treating you? The Mrs. and I are fine, we're currently building a new house here in Texas and planning on a 3 little Minion to add to the family LOL. Still in Florida?
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

Quote Originally Posted by Prey521 View Post
    KenDawg! Mucho tiempo mi amigo? How's life been treating you? The Mrs. and I are fine, we're currently building a new house here in Texas and planning on a 3 little Minion to add to the family LOL. Still in Florida?
    Tanto tiempo hermano. Mucho gusto en verte. Always a Floridian! I hope that Tania is keeping you inline!
    Congratulations on the new house and upcoming 3rd addition. You know what they say, practice makes perfect!

Blog Entries
    Hey P, perhaps we should un-ban some of the former members that have grown up and stop by for a visit... I see a famous one online now! From Detroit!

Can anyone guess who?
    You are right.. unbanned HalfLifer. If anyone else feels they've outgrown their bans, drop me an email or something and we'll see what we can do

Wow, what a flashback!!

wow Happy sweet 16!

good job Phillip!

I hope I'm scampering around here for another 15 years

i don't do facebook or tweet ..

I was going to post a link to that thread, but the SG search results for "bullsh|t" were too numerous

sometimes you have to think outside the box to get inside the box .

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    You are right.. unbanned HalfLifer. If anyone else feels they've outgrown their bans, drop me an email or something and we'll see what we can do

Anyone nominates GhostBanger and I'll hire MadDoc to put the *smack* down.

Blog Entries
    lol Humby