Thread: My puppy is nuts

My puppy is nuts

Humboldt hopefully you can help me out here?

Name:  pup spud.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  77.0 KB

far right pup

I have had several border collie crosses in the past and they were always very well trained and friendly. I picked up a Aussie Shepard border collie cross pup about 4 months ago he is about 7 months old now and I have him trained really well but he has 2 problems

1) He likes to chase cars
    2) He will shred almost anyone that comes to the door! and I mean bite and rip your shirt off!!

in trying to stop the car chasing I have watched several you tube videos and the distraction treat method doesn't work. I also tried desensitizing by walking him downtown for hours which seems to help a little bit at the time but after a day or 2 hes back to chasing.

We have done a lot of frisbee training but I'm concerned that having him off leash he is going to bite somebody.

At this point we are looking a shock collar and muzzling. any thoughts on those would be great as i have never used them before.

also we are getting him neutered in 2 weeks which might help some. * I'm going to take him outside the vets office and as soon as he lunges for a car he's getting his nuts cut out! lol

any help / advice is much appreciated

Randy
    Last edited by Randy; 11-01-14 at 01:08 PM.

I was going to post a link to that thread, but the SG search results for "bullsh|t" were too numerous

sometimes you have to think outside the box to get inside the box .

Hey,
    Nice looking pup.

As far as the car chasing, the sooner addressed the better. Is he doing this on leash or does he roam outside?
    Shock collars can work well, start at the lowest setting and see what gets his attention. *Always* give a command first. Do not let children use the remote.
    Some collars have an optional tone that can be used as either praise (dogs begins an action and responds to your verbal command) or as a warning it will get zapped if it ignores the verbal.
    Obviously, use one method and stick with it.
    We carry the Dogtra and Gamin brands (formally TriTronics).
    www.arcatapet.com

There are also training collars that use blasts of compressed air instead of an electric shock.. They work well for most people but we get a lot of returns due to quality of the hardware.
    Any decent store (including us) should offer a satisfaction guarantee. We just had one returned the other day and they mentioned using 2 identical ones purchased through Amazon. Due to the compressed air Amazon would not allow the return.

A prong collar and walking/training near traffic could be effective too.
    They look mean but are much safer and more humane than a choke chain.

Herders have been breed to, well..., herd. Until he knows what not to herd/chase, the behavior will continue.

As far as the chewing...it's a puppy. Teething is hell. My Newfie mix chewed on the siding of the house, the picnic table, the riding lawnmower, etc...
    Have multiple chew toys in rotation, always something different. Try rubber toys, cow hooves, water buffalo horns (awesome), rope toys.
    When the pup chews on something incorrect (including people), say no and give it something ok for it to chew on, then praise.

Do not allow people to initiate finger or hand teething games.
    Do not allow people to invite the dog to jump up, or allow it to jump up (bring your knee up to deflect).
    Drill with the sit command (*treats*) and have the dog sit/stay whenever someone is coming in through the door.

Muzzles are completely worthless in teething/chewing situations.
    Not only are the inappropriate in this case, any dog will take 90% of the muzzles out there of within a few minutes if left alone.
    For safety reasons, a muzzle should only be used under direct supervision, never on an unattended dog.
    Nor does it address the issue or teach the dog anything.

When in doubt or facing defeat, look into a trainer. Do research and view feedback on them.
    There are a lot of excellent trainers and a lot of very poor ones.

Most offer private lessons and group lessons.
    Often times it will involve training the people as well as the dog.

Search Caesar Milan videos, he has at least one addressing chasing skateboards and bikes that might be helpful.
    I have a wholedogjournal.com script, I'll see if there's anything that might be useful for you.

Best of luck, let me know how it goes or if you have any questions.
    Last edited by Humboldt; 11-01-14 at 09:51 PM.

Thanks Humboldt

we found a dog trainer that does group sessions which should help with being more friendly etc..

picking up a shock collar this week.

will keep you updated

I was going to post a link to that thread, but the SG search results for "bullsh|t" were too numerous

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Thanks Humboldt

we found a dog trainer that does group sessions which should help with being more friendly etc..

picking up a shock collar this week.

will keep you updated
    How's the trainer working so far?

trainer has been great, he sits, waits, walks beside me taught him Bang! your dead.
    Had to do a lot of in house walking. Finally addressing the car chasing by using my own method which is basically teaching him not to fetch or chase the ball. he is doing good at it but once i get it engrained a bit more i think i can apply it to chasing cars. hopefully chase will be by command only. We never did the bar zap collar ... just didn't feel right about it but will go there as a last resort.

unfortunately He bit the trainer in our first session lol.... but has come a long way since then.
    got him neutered about 2 weeks ago and that should help some too.