Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: TCP Optimizer 4 Released (Windows 7 / 8.1 / 10 / 2012 Server R2 are all supported)

Blog Entries

Lightbulb TCP Optimizer 4 Released (Windows 7 / 8.1 / 10 / 2012 Server R2 are all supported)

SG TCP Optimizer 4.0 released

As with all previous versions, it supports all Windows versions from 9x, and we've added support not only for Windows 8/8.1, 2012 Server, 2012 Server R2, but also for the latest Windows 10 Technical preview. Version 4 includes PowerShell cmdlets for changing TCP/IP parameters, it adds a few new settings, and fixes a couple of issues with the Optimizer 3.x and older Windows versions.

If you experience any issues using the TCP Optimizer, we'd like to hear about them. The "Apply Settings" screen allows for backing up, and allows the user to "Create Log" of all the changes. This log file can be especially helpful to us in troubleshooting any issues you may experience with the program (it creates a "sg_log.spg" file in the TCP Optimizer directory).

TCP Optimizer v. 4 (last updated 2019-02-22)

Changes to the software are now listed in the revision history article here:

https://www.speedguide.net/articles/...n-history-5811

Previous updates:
    - Optimizer is now aware of, reads and displays the current TCP/IP settings "template".
    - Updated Congestion Control Provider command, added "CUBIC" and "NewReno" algorithms introduced with Windows 10 Creators Update.
    - Changed RSS (Receive-Side Scaling) and RSC (Receive Segment Coalescing) settings to be applied globally.
    - Fixed Chimney Offload command (made change global) and program now reads setting on startup.
    - Changed default to modify all network adapters.
    - Removed obsolete DCA (Direct Cache Access) setting.
    - Program now reads most settings on startup.

Online documentation and revision history are available here:
    TCP Optimizer Documentation and revisions

Please post any constructive feedback and bug reports in this thread.

Notes:
    The TCP Optimizer version 3.x will no longer be updated, version 4 is intended to replace it entirely.
    Any posts asking questions about how to tweak your internet connection using the Optimizer should be posted in a separate thread, and will be deleted or moved from here. This thread is intended for feedback about the program and bug reports. Please try to be descriptive when reporting issues and include your Windows version.
    Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits).
    ๑۩۞۩๑

Tried TCP Optimizer 4.0 - Results

Hi there Philip,

I have tried Optimizer 4.0 on Windows 8.1 64-bit and here is what happened.

Most of the tweaks on the "Advanced Settings" tab did stick after reboot. The only two that didn't stick as specified by the TCP Optimizer were:

Max SYN Retransmissions - default instead of 2
    NonSackRttResiliency - default instead of disabled

On the General Settings tab, nearly all the settings the program specified did not stick.
    Most reverted to default instead of what the program specified.

Please note I have my wireless adapter disabled as I only connect using the ethernet adapter.

Here is the log:
    [netsh]
    AutoTuningLevelLocal=0
    ScalingHeuristics=0
    CongestionProvider=2
    EcnCapability=0
    Chimney=2
    Timestamps=0
    EnableDCA=2
    MaxSynRetransmissions=1
    NonSackRttResiliency=0
    InitialRto(ms)=0
    MinRto(ms)=0
    [SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MAIN\FeatureControl\FEATURE_MAXCONNECTIONSPER1_0SERVER]
    explorer.exe=10
    iexplore.exe=10
    [SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MAIN\FeatureControl\FEATURE_MAXCONNECTIONSPERSERVER]
    explorer.exe=10
    iexplore.exe=10
    [SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\ServiceProvider]
    LocalPriority=4
    HostsPriority=5
    DnsPriority=6
    NetbtPriority=7
    [SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Psched]
    NonBestEffortLimit=0
    [SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile]
    NetworkThrottlingIndex=-1
    NetworkThrottlingIndex_SEL=0
    SystemResponsiveness=10
    SystemResponsiveness_SEL=10
    [SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters]
    Size=3
    Size_SEL=3
    [SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]
    LargeSystemCache=1
    LargeSystemCache_SEL=1
    [SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters]
    MaxUserPort=65534
    TcpTimedWaitDelay=30
    DefaultTTL=64
    [Wi-Fi]
    MTU=-2
    Receive-Side Scaling State=1
    NetAdapterRsc=2
    Large Send Offload=-5
    Checksum Offload=-5
    [SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{CE82D778-62F3-4619-8F10-45C487E52A71}]
    TcpAckFrequency=-1
    TcpAckFrequency_SEL=0
    TcpDelAckTicks=-1
    TcpDelAckTicks_SEL=0
    TCPNoDelay=-1
    TCPNoDelay_SEL=0
    [Ethernet]
    MTU=1500
    Receive-Side Scaling State=1
    NetAdapterRsc=2
    Large Send Offload=-5
    Checksum Offload=-5
    [SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{C67D295C-2E1D-449D-8C52-68C5BBC4F960}]
    TcpAckFrequency=-1
    TcpAckFrequency_SEL=0
    TcpDelAckTicks=-1
    TcpDelAckTicks_SEL=0
    TCPNoDelay=-1
    TCPNoDelay_SEL=0

Panama City, FL and a FAN of Dale Earnhardt Jr. Bud Chevy & NASCAR , and the Atlanta Braves
    Like Phillip said, I tried it on Windows 10 Technical preview, and I was shocked, much faster with TCP Optimizer v. 4.00 BETA , try it, you will probably be surprised.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Doctor View Post
    Hi there Philip,

I have tried Optimizer 4.0 on Windows 8.1 64-bit and here is what happened......
    Thanks for testing and the constructive feedback, much appreciated - will look into that. How did you determine what sticks from the general settings tab ? Did you use the "Get-NetTcpSetting" PowerShell cmdlet to check parameters from the General tab, or did you just look at what the Optimizer reads as current values ? The reason I'm asking is that there are a few parameters whose current values will not be read by the Optimizer, as they are network adapter-dependent and may not be read (RSC/RSS/DCA), or OS-dependent. also, if the optimal value coincides with the default/current value, the Optimizer may show "default" as the current value instead of what was chosen in the optimal applied settings. For some settings, because of all that, the only way to verify that they were actually applied is one by one, outside the program, using PowerShell/netsh/Regedit, and following each setting as explained in our tweaking articles.

For the Advanced tab:

That is because the default is equal to the optimal value, i.e. default for Max SYN Retransmissions is 2, and default for NonSackRttResiliency is equal to "disabled" as well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobo View Post
    Like Phillip said, I tried it on Windows 10 Technical preview, and I was shocked, much faster with TCP Optimizer v. 4.00 BETA , try it, you will probably be surprised.
    Hi Lobo, it's been a long time, nice to see you around

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    Thanks for testing and the constructive feedback, much appreciated - will look into that. How did you determine what sticks from the general settings tab ? Did you use the "Get-NetTcpSetting" PowerShell cmdlet to check parameters from the General tab, or did you just look at what the Optimizer reads as current values ? The reason I'm asking is that there are a few parameters whose current values will not be read by the Optimizer, as they are network adapter-dependent and may not be read (RSC/RSS/DCA), or OS-dependent. also, if the optimal value coincides with the default/current value, the Optimizer may show "default" as the current value instead of what was chosen in the optimal applied settings. For some settings, because of all that, the only way to verify that they were actually applied is one by one, outside the program, using PowerShell/netsh/Regedit, and following each setting as explained in our tweaking articles.

For the Advanced tab:

That is because the default is equal to the optimal value, i.e. default for Max SYN Retransmissions is 2, and default for NonSackRttResiliency is equal to "disabled" as well.
    Thanks for your reply Philip. Your comments make sense.

I was looking at values as displayed by the Optimizer.

Out of curiosity, I will do the PowerShell/netsh/Regedit thing when I get a chance.

On Windows 8.1 64-bit, after setting TCPNoDelay to 1, program shows 0 after a restart. The setting is enabled in Regedit.

I've tried this on Windows 7 (64bit) with optimal settings and broke my OS totally. Apps frozen and lagged. i'm back to 3.0.8 version

Blog Entries
    ukue, version 4 has very little difference from 3.08 under Windows 7, it is the same program (we've turned off NetDMA, changed IE browser settings from 8 to 10, and a couple of other minor changes), are you positive there was nothing else going on ?

As to TCPNoDelay, thanks, will be fixed to display the current value correctly later today. The issue was that it is in more than one location (per NIC setting, and also dependent on whether the OS uses MSMQ). The program still applied it, just the current value wasn't read from the correct hive, so it showed "default: n/a" instead of the applied setting.

Blog Entries
    Nagle's Algorithm section has been reworked to correctly read current values per NIC, and to allow for other possible settings, the new exe is available through the link in the first post or the main site.

Totally sure. I've restored my latest settings ( the optimal settings from 3.08) and everything is back fine. There is something that breaks my w7

ukue, version 4 has very little difference from 3.08 under Windows 7, it is the same program (we've turned off NetDMA, changed IE browser settings from 8 to 10, and a couple of other minor changes), are you positive there was nothing else going on ?

As to TCPNoDelay, thanks, will be fixed to display the current value correctly later today. The issue was that it is in more than one location (per NIC setting, and also dependent on whether the OS uses MSMQ). The program still applied it, just the current value wasn't read from the correct hive, so it showed "default: n/a" instead of the applied setting.

Blog Entries
    The below settings only illustrate the difference between optimal settings under TCP Optimizer 3.08 and 4.00 under Windows 7 (that is why most settings display "No Change" in the "New Value" column).

I just applied the "optimal" settings using the TCP Optimizer 4 under Windows 7 x64, after a reboot system runs fine, here is a screenshot of the settings that are applied (old value column in screenshot)

After that, if you start the TCP Optimizer 3.08, choose "optimal" settings, and hit apply, here are the only differences (look at the "New value" column):

The above is under Windows 7 Ultimate x64. There were no adverse effects with either. Do you see any other differences in your setup ?

If you have restored your latest 3.08 settings and everything works fine, can you start the TCP Optimizer 4, select "optimal" settings, get to the above "Apply" screen, and look at the "New Value" column for what settings it would change ? (you can just list the changes, or attach a screenshot, you can cancel out of the screen and the Optimizer will not change anything). That way, we can pinpoint what causes the issue on your end. Thanks.

I've Been testing some settings manually and the problem begins when I switch the TCP Window Auto - Tuning to " experimental"( 4.0 suggest that in optimal mode) . I do not know why is this affecting the performance of my computer but it 's happening so i'm keeping this on "normal"

I just applied the "optimal" settings using the TCP Optimizer 4 under Windows 7 x64, after a reboot system runs fine, here is a screenshot of the settings that are applied (old value column in screenshot)
    Last edited by ukue; 04-30-15 at 06:06 AM.

Smithfield, New South Wales, Australia, Australia
    I used this on my Windows 7 build this evening and it sure has made a HUGE difference.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashdaw View Post
    I used this on my Windows 7 build this evening and it sure has made a HUGE difference.
    Glad to hear Ashdaw

Smithfield, New South Wales, Australia, Australia
    I am going to add the latest windows 10 release to another computer tomorrow.

Hi,

I am playing with the optimization tool and I do have a question. In using the sliding scale to configure my connection speed, if I use the value as determined by speedtest.net, will that be an issue? I actually don't know what my true advertised speed is but I generally run around 120 Mbps. Additionally, when slid all the way to 100 Mbps the the Scaling gets kicked into Experimental mode, is that normal?

Thanks,
    JM
    Last edited by johnathonm; 05-02-15 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Removed something

Blog Entries
    No, using speedtest.net results wont be an issue with newer Windows variants, and the we are experimenting with the "experimental" mode for very high bandwidth setups, if you'd like to be a bit more conservative just put the slider under 90Mbps and it should return to "normal"..

No, using speedtest.net results wont be an issue with newer Windows variants, and the we are experimenting with the "experimental" mode for very high bandwidth setups, if you'd like to be a bit more conservative just put the slider under 90Mbps and it should return to "normal"..
    My conection runs at about 112Mbs and Optimizer set "Experimantal" when I run it.

However after reboot netsh int tcp show global shows Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level as "normal".

The other issue I have is that in Powershell the get-nettcpsetting command produces the following error:

get-nettcpsetting : Invalid class
    At line:1 char:1
    + get-nettcpsetting internet
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : MetadataError: (MSFT_NetTCPSetting:ROO
    ting], CimException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : HRESULT 0x80041010,Get-NetTCPSetting

I tried messing about with WMI and ended up borking Windows 8.1, so any ideas how to fix this error would be greatly appreciated.

Blog Entries
    The Optimizer wouldn't work under Windows 8 if the relevant PowerShell classes are not found/invalid/corrupt (for the settings that use those classes and encounter the errors, other settings may still work)

The 0x80041010 error is from WMI... You may want to reinstall Windows Components > WMI Windows Installer Provider, there is some Windows 2008 info here that may still be relevant: http://clintboessen.blogspot.com/200...41010-fix.html