Thread: Have comcast 50mb internet speed but never maintain a consistent speed

Have comcast 50mb internet speed but never maintain a consistent speed

My family at home has the package where its 50mb internet speed, we have a Netgear nighthawk R7000 and they provided us a modem they claimed was good for the speed it's a cisco modem with the model DPC3939, but thats all i can really find on it.

There are issues where I never get a consistent speed, I am on a wireless card but even then my speed is not consistent for being on it on my beefy gaming rig(i don't expect to get 50, but i get 30-40 a lot of the time) And sometimes when there is no one downloading me and my brother both drop down to under 10. Could this be a modem issue? As far as I knew I thought the nighthawk was a beast of a router and my speed did improve when I upgraded to it but I have no idea why my speeds would drop at random times when no one is downloading. I'm at a loss what the issues could be. Please help!

Blog Entries
    To make sure it is not a wifi issue, you'd have to connect a client computer via ethernet directly to the modem and do a speed test.

I'd suggest making sure the nighthawk is at least a foot away from possible sources of interference (the cable modem, power supplies, computers, fluorescent lights, etc.) Also, use 802.11ac 5GHz if your client devices support it and are not far away.

Is the slowdown during peak times ? (5pm-8pm usually for residential areas)
    How do traceroutes look ? (no lag spikes at hops near you ?)

I'm a comcast network tech. Main thing you need to check: Log in to your router, change your channel from automatic to manual and put channel on 11. That will help your stability and speed. Is your router level with your devices? Best not to put it in the basement or way upstairs somewhere. Is there a splitter on your coax line coming from the wall to the modem? If there is make sure its a top of the line splitter.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for chiming in joeyll88, welcome to SG !

Another idea would be to check the signal levels of your modem, many models have a page accessible via browser with signal/noise levels that can help troubleshoot line issues. For example, it is at http://192.168.100.1 for Motorola modems. We have an extensive list of various models and their corresponding addresses here: http://www.speedguide.net/broadband.php