Thread: First Person Shooter Problems

First Person Shooter Problems

Hi everyone,

long story short, Iīve been struggling with lags over the years.

Problem description: Bullets arenīt correctly registered by the servers. People are invincible, either left with almost zero health, or not hit at all, they an also have half the HP, just anything... Sometimes, you can see the hit markers and blood, sometimes you can see just blood, sometimes you canīt see anything. It doesnīt matter. The problems differs slightly in every game, but the core never changes: when people are meant to die, they donīt. THIS APPLIES TO ALL GAMES, FROM MODERN WARFARES, TO BATTLEFIELDS, SWATS, COUNTER STRIKES, GHOST RECONS AND ANYTHING OTHER NOT MENTIONED.

Fixes tried (none worked): Bought new PC, bought better internet, different Windows, formated them many times over the years, tried playing with different resolutions (640x480 to 2880x1620 and all other possible resolutions available) and different video settings, V-Sync on/off, 60 stable FPS (without V-Sync), or uncapped FPS, bought new router, modem, cable, never used Wi-Fi. Tried countless game tweaks and fixes, tried all TCP Optimizer tweaks, GameBoosters, I used C-Cleaners weekly, too. I did make sure all drivers are updated. Tried playing with all CPU cores enabled, less cores enabled, Low, Medium, High, Realtime Priorities.

My Internet connection:
    Cable connection
    120 Mbps download
    12 Mbps upload
    5 jitter
    0 packetloss
    9 to 30 ping based on which server I am playing, thereīs literally NO DIFFERENCE

If needed, I can post a video about the problem.

Any help is going to be kindly appreciated. Thank you for reading.

Best regards,
    Rokket

probably just crappy servers you are playing on is my guess

I am no expert by any means and my only guess is that maybe there is some sort of testing or setup mode that has not been switched over to Real-Time play?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    probably just crappy servers you are playing on is my guess
    I doubt itīs servers, because I have played on SO MANY. I do know however that the server can change a lot. Is there any way to find out the specs of the server in, for example, BF3 though? I mean, you canīt really know youīre playing on a crappy or good server, or can you somehow (apart from lagging incredibly)?

Quote Originally Posted by Easto View Post
    I am no expert by any means and my only guess is that maybe there is some sort of testing or setup mode that has not been switched over to Real-Time play?
    What do you mean? Could you explain it further, please? I am not sure I understand.

Rokket, I know nothing about this problem. I have never setup a game on a server. My only thought was that maybe there is some sort of software setting in the game to take it from testing to live?

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Game servers themselves doesn't really need a lot of "horsepower" (I've built and run MANY of them, did quite a few of them years ago). The key is "bandwidth" that the servers sit on, combined with your bandwidth.

*Pick servers that are close to you, geographically. When I was big into online FPS gaming....usually picked servers in the east coast USA (where I live)...or at least middle USA. If I went to west coast...ping time of course got worse. Outside of the USA...virtually unplayable.

*What else shares your internet connection? Other people in the house competing for the bandwidth? Doesn't matter how big your connection is...if one or two other people in your house get busy on the internet...they'll start competing with your game packets with their downloads, online video watching, etc. Some routers have good QoS features to help you prioritize your gaming packets so other users don't interfere as much.

*Lean out your system...some antivirus/internet security programs are "heavy" and can bog down your system. Try testing this by disabling those before you play. Others don't interfere as much..but I don't know your system so can't tell from here.

*Use a wired connection to your router...don't game on wireless.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    *What else shares your internet connection? Other people in the house competing for the bandwidth? Doesn't matter how big your connection is...if one or two other people in your house get busy on the internet...they'll start competing with your game packets with their downloads, online video watching, etc. Some routers have good QoS features to help you prioritize your gaming packets so other users don't interfere as much.
    I have done literally everything, except for this particular thing.
    Unfortunately, up to 4 other computers are to use the same concrete bandwith at the same time SOMETIMES. I canīt do pretty much anything about that however, meaning I would have to move from a lucrative location, et cetera, to fix this problem.
    Is there anything I can do to minimise the packet "collision"? You have mentioned the QoS feature. I have been a little bit busy now, but Iīll take a look whether my router is capable of doing that this evening. Is there anything else I could possibly do?

PS: Weird is that the problem usually happens even when nobody else should be using the internet connection (e.g. 3.00 AM when everyoneīs sleeping). But Iīll see if the QoS helps, at least it gave me some hope.

So far, I am thankful, everyone, for all the replies! Thanks again!

Still no progress, the problem persists. :/