Thread: What is up with Microsoft Office?

What is up with Microsoft Office?

Now they want a monthly subscription fee? What happens if I stop paying the monthly fee? I don't really get how that works. I suppose I can just do everything with Open Office and deal with mismatched formatting.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

Blog Entries
    You can still purchase an older version of Office. Perhaps you can purchase a key, then download the install from Microsoft.

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

You also can purchase it outright, but no dvd. It's sold as a plastic credit card in a store. The card contains the product key. Then go to the ms site and download the installer, which, in turn, downloads and installs office.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

But what happens if I pay for one month to get access to all the programs of Office then discontinue my subscription? I mean they can't uninstall the programs, right?
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

We should all just start using Open Office. I don't want to have to jump through a bunch of hoops when I buy something to use it. As a consumer simplicity is a concern of mine. If more people relied on Open Office, then Windows would have to conform to what the customers want.

Blog Entries
    I have been using office 2003 and 2007 for quite some time. Nothing has been pulled.

As for the subscription plan, I suppose it would be like Xbox live. When the subscription runs out, you no longer have access to the program.

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    I think you're talking about Office 365....which is a different product that just plain Office.
    Office 365 is subscription based....it is a whole bunch more than just Word and Excel.
    You can still purchase the various version of the local Office installation....just a one time purchase like it always was.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Ya it is Office 365. Just disappointed that Word was not include with Windows 8.1. I can not recall the last machine I bought that didn't come with at least a starter version of Word. Now Microsoft wants me to sign up for a trail period of Office 365 to get any level of access to Word.

My desktop which came with Windows 7, has a limited version of Word. But it is still functional and it is not for a limited amount of time; it is just missing some of the bells and whistles. A word processing program is so basic and essential to a computer Word should be standard with every install of Windows. I am just going to use Open Office or Google Doc for now and dream about a soft-wear landscape dominated by open-source.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Yeah Microsoft had a free stripped version of Office called Office 2010 Starter Edition....they retired that (replaced it) as they grew their free Office Online cloud services. That's probably what you had.

Don't forget...every version of Windows has a built in word processing program, called "Wordpad". No...I don't mean Notepad, but Wordpad. It's actually more than most people ever need for a word processor. Start...Run....Wordpad.

Otherwise....LibreOffice, StarOffice, OxygenOffice, ThinkFree, GoogleApps/Docs, even Microsofts Office Web Apps.....some free alternatives.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyboycool View Post
    We should all just start using Open Office.
    Google Docs, so nice. **** the work place MS office standard.

Word Pad and Note Pad are useful when you want something that is just a text editor, but I also must have a fully functional word processing program. Google Docs has some nice features. It has the best spelling and grammar checker out of all of them, but it's formatting is unusual. I am not sure what it does but it takes my docs. and makes them a few pages longer.

I bet if I dug through my old CDs I would find an old version of office.