Thread: Amplifier with capability for Speakers / Earphones or both at once

Amplifier with capability for Speakers / Earphones or both at once

Looking for a amplifier (wattage not a problem)

Need to be able to use earphones with or without speakers with volume control for each one. That away I won't blow other people watch or listening with me through the back wall.

I'd also like it to be able to accept 4 or more HDMI connections for TV/CABLE/GAME/BLU-RAY/DVD.

Anyone have one already that they like and can point me toward getting one like it?

Tks
    Rick
    Prostate Cancer survivor, too late for me with a cure, but maybe I can help save others just like me. Wife brest cancer. Cured.

Blog Entries
    Hm, haven't seen one that does that. I am sure there are, but you may be limiting yourself to a couple of specific models, that could prove pricey.

Have you considered simply hooking up a headphone amp ?

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    Hm, haven't seen one that does that. I am sure there are, but you may be limiting yourself to a couple of specific models, that could prove pricey.

Have you considered simply hooking up a headphone amp ?
    But would a headphone amp allow the speakers to play at the same time?
    Prostate Cancer survivor, too late for me with a cure, but maybe I can help save others just like me. Wife brest cancer. Cured.

Blog Entries
    Well, instead of using the headphone jack (that mutes your speakers) you can look in the back of the receiver and hook the headphones to one of those outputs:

1) A "pre-out" jack - this is your best bet, as it is not affected by the volume of the speakers at all. You will probably need an amp if using it.
    2) A "line out", or a "monitor out" - this will work great too. It does not mute the volume. It can be found on some TVs and most decent receivers. It can be either 3.5mm jack (TVs) or RCA jacks (may need stereo RCA-to-3.5mm adapter).
    3) analog audio outputs (RCA left + right) - these will probably be affected by speaker volume level as well... You'd probably need RCA to 3.5mm adapter.

There are also many receivers out there that support two sets of speakers A/B, A+B, etc. You may be able to control whether the output to your headphones is on or off, even their level separately if they're hooked to the "B"/remote speakers output of the receiver.

Once you try those outputs, figure out whether you need/want a headphone amp to increase/control the volume.

There are even FM transmitters/receivers out there that you can hook up to make the above setup wireless. (or use wireless/Bluetooth headphones, they may have their own volume control)

Philip

Your reply got me started thinking (very hard to do) but here is my system.

Sony STR-DS520 Amplifier with HDMI inputs for all my equipment. PS-3, BLU-RAY 3D player, cable box.
    Amplifier is hooked up to EPSON 3D projector via HDMI cable.

Projector has limited sound output via onboard speaker as well as RCA plugs. (Ordered a RCA plug adaptor to 3.5mm headphone jack) Hoping sound volume will be adjustable by it self to work, if not will have to research the headphone amp your talking about.

I looked hoping that the projector had a headphone output, but it didn't.

Blog Entries
    RCA jacks will work fine, just get a stereo adapter (two RCA into one 3.5mm jack).. If the projector has separate volume control it may work ok even without headphone amp, but it's hard to judge without trying it out - volume also depends on headphones impedance, etc.
    Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits).
    ๑۩۞۩๑

Found what I need, wireless headphones with volume control on the headsets.

Had thought about it a long time ago but discarded the idea then as the headsets available weren't of very good workmanship. But this one looks to be exactly what I'm looking for. If so my wife will give me a great big hug I bet. LOL