Thread: PCI to PCIe Adapter

Question PCI to PCIe Adapter

I'm starting to play around with the idea of a new build sometime this coming spring. One of the things that was troubling me is that I have a really nice PCI soundcard (Echo Audio Gina) but it seems like motherboards with PCI slots are getting harder to find. Then... I decided to Google PCI to PCIe adapter and what do you know, they make them. So that brings me to my question, has anyone used something like this before, are they buggy, do they do what they're supposed to do?

i never knew they made such adapters, i could use on with my old HT omega claro PCI card that i had to put in the closet when i built my new system, i wonder if those adapters really work.

that being said, my socket 2011 mobo does have very nice on board sound, way better than older mobos that i had tried the on board sound solutions.

i have to wonder if you can find drivers for your card that will work in windows 8 and above though, if you go that route ?

Most motherboards still come with PCI slots. Drivers for the card may be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    that being said, my socket 2011 mobo does have very nice on board sound, way better than older mobos that i had tried the on board sound solutions. i have to wonder if you can find drivers for your card that will work in windows 8 and above though, if you go that route ?
    You do have a point regarding the Win 8 drivers. I think the last ones they offered were for Win 7. They also stopped making these cards and only offer FireWire cards now. They're getting out of the old SoundCard business. It seems there is a new format "AVB" and audio over Ethernet that seems to be gaining ground. I haven't really stayed up with what is new and current but I do think I may just bite the bullet and by an RME PCIe card.

I do some recording at home and I like to be able to work with the lowest latency (or at least low latency) sound cards that I can afford.

just an update to this old thread, today installed a PCI to PCI-e card and my old HT omega claro card, sounds better than the onboard i was using, which was no slouch IMO.

i will post images later of the way installed it, kinda a ghetto setup, but it works.

http://www.amazon.com/PCI-Express-32...ilpage_o00_s00

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829271002
    4930K@4.3~32GBGskill~asusX79deluxe~r9-280x~240GB-SSD-OS drive~500GB-SSD-scratch~240GB-SSD-thrash~2TB storage~Windows 7 pro
    *~ SG stats ~my stats

Interesting. I was just cleaning out my case the other day and looking at my PCI soundcard and wondering if I buy a new mobo what I'd do with it.

i have the audio cable going out to front speakers through a hole in the case that was for water cooling hoses, fits well.

the adapter card requires a SATA power connector, so for now i am using a single modular cable from my corsair power supply, but once i make sure everything is kosher, i will make a single SATA connector wire for it alone and clean that mess up.

and need to make some sort of bracket to hold the soundcard, right now a few zipties are doing that honor, but very ghetto IMO.

also need to cleanup the front panel wire routing as that looks like poo as well, but it does work.

second picture shows the soundcard not fully inserted, and i caught that when i went to install HT omega drivers, the message it gave me was something like, "hey idiot, please install a soundcard" LOL

http://imgur.com/a/kfLIb
    4930K@4.3~32GBGskill~asusX79deluxe~r9-280x~240GB-SSD-OS drive~500GB-SSD-scratch~240GB-SSD-thrash~2TB storage~Windows 7 pro
    *~ SG stats ~my stats

i might recomend this adapter instead if it works as the cable looks to be easier to manage and allow for more mounting options, but the SATA power plug may be an issue.......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262217108869...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Quote Originally Posted by Easto View Post
    Interesting. I was just cleaning out my case the other day and looking at my PCI soundcard and wondering if I buy a new mobo what I'd do with it.
    i finally went with a USB/optical DAC that seems to sound as good as my HTomega and is easy to swap between headphones and speakers with just a switch and the switch of another toggle that changes the output gain level.

if you want the PCI - PCIe adapter i can send it to ya, works flawlessly but i have no need for it now.

DAC i got https://www.amazon.com/Micca-OriGen-...wpuresimula-20
    *~ SG stats ~my stats